Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 11:22 PM

11 posts, read 122,266 times

Advertisements

I understand that its a big place but I hear that some parts are good to live in and some have more crime rates, etc.
we are moving from NJ because I hear its more affordable in nC and DH got a job in Charlotte, and he says he hears Statesville is best to live in for our family we have two small kids. Please tell me which area in Charlotte you can recomend living in, low crime rates/affordable houses, etc

thanks
Marina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 01:23 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,870,624 times
Statesville is not in or near Charlotte, it is about 42 miles away I believe.

The best areas of Charlotte to live in, in my opinion, are the areas east of route 521 and west of 70, south of Uptown. In particular the areas along Providence Road, Rea Road, Park Road, and Carmel Road. Specific neighborhoods I would recommend include Myers Park, the South Park mall area, Ballantyne, and the area of Pineville. Union County and York County, SC (Fort Mill, SC) are farther out but have a better reputation for school district. However I am told the schools in South Charlotte are fine as well, and it is the lower performing schools in other parts of Charlotte that make the Mecklenburg district seem bad.

Also, while I said the areas between 521 and 70, I do not include those roads themselves. Anything off 521 (South Blvd.) and 70 (Independence Blvd) should generally be avoided.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:44 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,177,181 times
Hi Marina,
I am partial to south Charlotte/Union county areas -- both are beautiful areas and are convenient to uptown. There is traffic during rush hour, but it really isn't bad at other times. Even during rush hour my husband's commute is usually no more than 45 minutes. We relocated from NY in 1998, so that was much better than the 1.5 hour standard daily commute Let me know (feel free to PM me!) if I can help you in your relocation.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 22,115 times
I am trying to move from fayetteville nc to charlotte nc. And i was wanting to know what good areas to live in that r not to expensive for me and my 3 year old daughter

Old 01-09-2009, 06:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,934,896 times
Not too expensive for one person might be way out of line for another. A price range helps!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:08 PM

414 posts, read 1,279,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
Hi Marina,
I am partial to south Charlotte/Union county areas -- both are beautiful areas and are convenient to uptown. There is traffic during rush hour, but it really isn't bad at other times. Even during rush hour my husband's commute is usually no more than 45 minutes. We relocated from NY in 1998, so that was much better than the 1.5 hour standard daily commute Let me know (feel free to PM me!) if I can help you in your relocation.
I'll second that.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:22 PM

236 posts, read 696,683 times
I recommend getting a car and figuing it our for yourselves as your opinion probably varies from any response on city-data...depending on what you are looking for

Old 01-10-2009, 06:36 AM

124 posts, read 463,778 times
It'll depend on where his job is too. I really love the South Charlotte area though and second it from the responses above. We're closing on a house in Providence Plantation at the end of the month and I couldn't be happier with our decision. Great schools, a great neighborhood and close to everything we need. Good luck making your decision and welcome!

Old 01-10-2009, 09:17 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,331,541 times
The best place to live is in the center of your circle of activities (work, schools, church, etc.)

Old 01-10-2009, 09:23 AM

620 posts, read 2,121,722 times
I would say South Charlotte. If you don't want to be in Charlotte, I think Union County (Marvin, Waxhaw, Weddington), Fort Mill (in South Carolina), and the Lake Norman area (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mooresville) are the nicest parts of the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte