Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 09:23 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,586,759 times

Advertisements

I drive an awful lot, and had to go to the university area this evening. I hate the unversity area for driving. I think it's the worst. Downtown concord area is pretty bad as well. Another in Charlotte would be the section from s tryon on the west. park rd on the east. Woodlawn to the north, and tyvola to the south. That little rectangle can be pretty miserable as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 01:00 AM

102 posts, read 111,975 times
Call me crazy, but the places I can tolerate driving in this city the most are the tight, two lane, grid pattern roads like uptown and in some of the more transit oriented neighborhoods along the Blue Line. Because of the "friction" created by the grid, and the abundance of people capable of walking to their destination, as well as lower speeds makes it much more tolerable for me. The frequent stops also give opportunities to think about the next steps involved in reaching my destination. All around I dislike driving in the city though. Many of the roads were designed when horse and carriages, or streetcars, dominated the city, now these roads have 45mph speed limits, narrow lanes, and trees just feet off the curb. You have to go with the flow or be run down, and the confusing street pattern still gets me after years of living here, and the lack of cut through roads in some areas makes correcting a navigation error challenging. The worst offenders are south Charlotte, especially from Southpark mall northward to Uptown and around The Plaza and WT Harris from Independence (don't get me started on it) to the University. Usually I try to avoid taking any sort of pleasure trip during peak hours, though only in the wee hours in the morning have I been able to navigate with no issues. Nine times out of ten it's the drivers themselves that cause the issues, but seeing as places were traffic crawls tend to be the least accident prone, I'd say my preference for the Uptown grid, or areas along South Boulevard (though not the boulevard itself) is shared by many.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:26 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,499,067 times
I agree that the University area is the worst to drive in. It has only 4 arterial roads and very few collector roads. The population of the area is also very high and that leads to tons of congestion on a regular basis. There aren't many alternate routes to get where you're trying to go. You can easily tell that the area is riddled by unchecked suburban type sprawl. It was a great idea for them to build the LYNX extension to the area.

The city seems to realize this and are trying to address it. They're extending University City Blvd to Mallard Creek Rd, building a bridge over I-85 for University Pointe Blvd, and also plan some type of extension from JW Clay Blvd to cross over 85 and connect with IBM Dr.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:53 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,666,416 times
South park and Ballentyne area. Those long winding roads that take 3 times as long to get to a destination.

I can actually drive to South Park Mall faster if I take Sharon Amity even though I live closer to Rama Rd. Rama seems like it takes forever to get to S. Park.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:07 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,835,931 times
For me personally, the 74 in Matthews area. Especially before and after the 51 exchange. No matter what time of the day, it's always packed.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:55 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,072,712 times
I hate driving through Monroe to get to or from the beach.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:53 AM

159 posts, read 157,005 times
For me I dislike anywhere south, it's so over sprawled down there and the roads can't handle it. I hate driving south 485 too (it did get a little better now they opened up more lanes).

I agree with Nick A; urban grids are better for me more than chaotic cul-de-sac roads.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:21 PM

18,468 posts, read 7,107,098 times
Easy.....485 outer from 77 through Pineville to Providence Rd.

The construction of additional lanes didn't seem to help much...... Just moved the bottle neck up farther.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte