Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 06:56 PM

355 posts, read 992,469 times

Advertisements

baby-face you got to be the funniest guy on this forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 07:31 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith "Baby-Face" Lutz View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta go there! Even if you go to church every Sunday, you can't tell me you did not get a chuckle out of that!
Chuckle neraly choked laughing

Usually it's me going there, nice to see somebody else with a sense of humor like mine.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:34 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,261,488 times
I moved to Steele Creek about 8 years ago from East Charlotte to be nearer my job, and I've never regretted it. I expect to be here until I move to a rest home.

Steele Creek is an interesting mixture of old and new. I moved into one of those subdivisions that have been replacing the dairy farms. At the time it was the closest place I could find to my job on Beam Road. I love the short commute that avoids the interstate traffic. (Previously I came across town on Independence and I-277. AAUGH!)

Since Steele Creek is such a magnet for development, most of us here are new and measure our time in years, but there still are many that measure their time in generations.

I began getting involved with the community, starting with my homeowners association. Then I found the Steele Creek Residents Association and began their web site. I participate in all their committees & am on the board of the Steele Creek Library Association. I attend meetings of the Steele Creek Historical and Genealogical Society when I can. (Wow, you wouldn't believe how much history the area has!) Through my boy, I've also gotten involved with scouts, a local karate school, and the Steele Creek Athletic Association.

Folks have a wide variety of churches to choose from, from the historical and traditional to the ultra-modern.

It's amazing how much Steele Creek has changed in just the short time I've lived here. It's interesting to see the plans developers present for rezoning and watch them move toward completion.

I live closer to Whitehall than RiverGate but shop at both. (I've shopped at the Whitehall Bi-Lo since it opened without incident.) When I moved here, I spent most of the early weekends at the Lowes in Pineville. It's great having more shopping close by. Although there are some high end developments coming in, most of Steele Creek is affordable and is one of the most naturally diverse communities in the Charlotte area.

I never heard the word "bad" associated with Steele Crek until I discovered this message board. It took me quite by surprise.

There was a time a few years back when the locals took their kids out of Olympic and moved them to the magnet program at Harding. That is changing now. Olympic is on the upswing. it's been divided into five smaller schools to help the students from feeling lost in a mass of students and teachers. Olympic has some passionate supporters -- it wasn't be accident that the stadium made it into the school bonds projects and survived the cuts.

The Steele Creek community generally includes the area south of the airport and west of I-77. The nonresidential buffer along Beam Road and Tyvola Road separates it from other communities to the northeast. The boundaries of the Steele Creek Division of CMPD weren't chosen to correspond to the Steele Crek community. They chose the division boundaries first and then selected the name. Before the recent realignment of districts it went all the way north to I-85. The Nations Ford area isn't part of Steele Creek.

I love living, working, and playing in Steele Creek and don't understand the bashing of it that goes on on this messageboard. I'm a non-confrontational type of guy, however, and seldom join in.

Everything else I know about Steele Creek I put here: Steele Creek Residents Association. I hope you find our site informative about Steele Creek.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:44 PM

249 posts, read 874,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Everything else I know about Steele Creek I put here: Steele Creek Residents Association. I hope you find our site informative about Steele Creek.
That site is a great source of information about steele creek. Lots of updated information about the school and land bonds etc.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:05 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
I love living, working, and playing in Steele Creek and don't understand the bashing of it that goes on on this messageboard. I'm a non-confrontational type of guy, however, and seldom join in.
*slow clap for NCDave! *

I live on Steele Creek as well. I really enjoy it. Adding to what NCDave mentioned, it is also very convenient to uptown, south park, south charlotte/pineville, Gaston County and York County in SC.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:39 PM

57 posts, read 147,718 times
Thats a fabulous site. Thanks for sharing that. Is there any problem with airplane noise in Steel Creek?

Old 10-29-2007, 11:59 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
I live in Steele Creek and love it. Have not had any reports or issues of crime at all.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:38 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2quilt View Post
Thats a fabulous site. Thanks for sharing that. Is there any problem with airplane noise in Steel Creek?
The only time I ever hear any planes, is at night at the back of the house when all is still, otherwise I never hear them I can see them but usually do not hear them.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:20 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2quilt View Post
I lived closer to the airport than what most people consider technical "Steele Creek" and airplane noise was not an issue. Nations Fords is definitely not part of Steele Creek, but it's close. My thing is why would I want to pay Meck taxes in Steele Creek when I can be just as close to work in York County, pay 3% property tax (it was 4% but just went down), get cheaper gas, a "better" police department, and still have almost everything I need within a 5-10 min drive? If the rail tax gets repealed, your property tax will again go up. As stated in other threads, there is a security guard in the some of the grocery stores in Steele Creek, even at 49 and 160. This is something you see only when it's necessary; in other words, there have been problems there. That type of action is reactive and not proactive.

Last edited by groove1; 10-30-2007 at 08:28 AM..

Old 10-30-2007, 08:52 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I lived closer to the airport than what most people consider technical "Steele Creek" and airplane noise was not an issue. Nations Fords is definitely not part of Steele Creek, but it's close. My thing is why would I want to pay Meck taxes in Steele Creek when I can be just as close to work in York County, pay 3% property tax (it was 4% but just went down), get cheaper gas, a "better" police department, and still have almost everything I need within a 5-10 min drive? If the rail tax gets repealed, your property tax will again go up. As stated in other threads, there is a security guard in the some of the grocery stores in Steele Creek, even at 49 and 160. This is something you see only when it's necessary; in other words, there have been problems there. That type of action is reactive and not proactive.
Groove, I do have to disagree with you about the security guard thing. I really think some of the retailers where you see them are being PROACTIVE, not reactive. Even my favorite Harris Teeter at Morrocroft in Southpark has them! Now of course you could say because this is one of the most desirable areas in Charlotte criminals sometimes target it, and maybe that is true. But does this make it ANY LESS desirable of a place to live? NO. People still line up to pay big bucks to live there.

Same thing with Steele Creek. I used to shop that Harris Teeter at 49/160 when it first opened about 10 years ago. Believe me, at that time it was so far out in the middle of nowhere the criminal element wouldn't have known where to find it, LOL. But they still employed security - which always made me feel better if I HAD to dash out at night for something. I believe this was another case of a retailer being proactive, that's all.

Now that Charlotte has grown so large, and with that our crime, most shopping centers are just being smart when they use security, not reactive. But you know I love ya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte