Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 AM

821 posts, read 1,853,696 times

Advertisements

Anyone have cost comparisons for purchasing booze in NC vs driving down to S.C. for purchasing spirits if done in multiple bottle purchases? There are some of folks who live in the Pineville/Ballentyne area who drive across the border for booze. I know a couple of folks who swear that if one is making volume (4/5/6 bottles of name bran hooch, it's cheaper (gasoline aside) to go to S.C. and buy liquor and wine.

One couple says they have a problem with the State being in the liquor business, then taking some of the profits and giving to alcohol treatment programs. The taxes private sellers generate would/could fund the same programs and cut back on the number of state and local government employees hired to manage and run the State ABC stores. Then, I digress to a topic for another posting.

What's the experienced wisdom of the readers here in the Charlotte metro area who purchase in NC and SC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
What's the experienced wisdom of the readers here in the Charlotte metro area who purchase in NC and SC?
The competition amongst the private sellers in SC yields significantly cheaper prices than the state maintained monopoly in NC.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,024 times
For the most part, I find many liquors run a few bucks cheaper in SC vs. NC due to both the reason noted by Frewroad above and I believe taxes are also less. For a bottle of Bacardi 8 or Jameson's (my two most frequent purchases) I would say that if I bought a bottle of each at Frugal's or Southern Spirits, I would probably pay about $4-$5 less than I would if I bought those two bottles at an NC ABC store. I would probably save another buck or so if I paid cash (at both of those stores, they charge a bit more for paying by CC).

I can be across the border in 5 minutes from either home or work. But if I lived further north, I don't think the price difference would make the drive worth it for me unless I was buying at least a case worth of booze.

I think the bigger difference between NC and SC is that it seems that the stores in SC have a much wider selection. Again, I am using Frugal's and Southern Spirits for comparison; the latter readily advertises that they carry the largest selection of scotch in the area (and they are not kidding). For example, I occasionally buy a bottle of Redbreast (an Irish whiskey) - I have never seen it in any ABC store in NC.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
For the most part, I find many liquors run a few bucks cheaper in SC vs. NC due to both the reason noted by Frewroad above and I believe taxes are also less. For a bottle of Bacardi 8 or Jameson's (my two most frequent purchases) I would say that if I bought a bottle of each at Frugal's or Southern Spirits, I would probably pay about $4-$5 less than I would if I bought those two bottles at an NC ABC store. I would probably save another buck or so if I paid cash (at both of those stores, they charge a bit more for paying by CC).

I can be across the border in 5 minutes from either home or work. But if I lived further north, I don't think the price difference would make the drive worth it for me unless I was buying at least a case worth of booze.

I think the bigger difference between NC and SC is that it seems that the stores in SC have a much wider selection. Again, I am using Frugal's and Southern Spirits for comparison; the latter readily advertises that they carry the largest selection of scotch in the area (and they are not kidding). For example, I occasionally buy a bottle of Redbreast (an Irish whiskey) - I have never seen it in any ABC store in NC.
I don't drink spirits. Would Gran Patron Burdeos Anejo be a good starter?

It's cool that you can download the prices in NC to take with you to SC to compare. There should be an app for that.

Spirituous Liquor Pricebook: North Carolina ABC Commission

Old 01-23-2013, 11:37 AM

789 posts, read 368,420 times
Quote:
For example, I occasionally buy a bottle of Redbreast (an Irish whiskey) - I have never seen it in any ABC store in NC.
If they don't have it in stock, they can get it.

I've picked it up at the ABC in Morrisville/Cary (the one on Davis Drive at McCrimmon Pkwy) or in Holly Springs - I don't remember which. But if they have it at one, they can get it at any of them.

Last edited by edglock21; 01-23-2013 at 11:48 AM..

Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 AM

177 posts, read 447,753 times
I was just having a conversation about Frugal MacDougal the other day and a couple of people said during peak times (holidays, etc) there will be police catching people who buy from Frugals then head back across the NC line. Not sure if anyone else has heard this.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:23 PM

Folks, it's Frugal Macdoogal.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafish41 View Post
I was just having a conversation about Frugal MacDougal the other day and a couple of people said during peak times (holidays, etc) there will be police catching people who buy from Frugals then head back across the NC line. Not sure if anyone else has heard this.
I assume you mean stopped by NC cops and not SC. First rule is to know your rights. If a policeman ASKS if it's OK to search your car tell them no. If it isn't a consensual search then you have been seized by the government and you have rights under the 4th amendment. Never consent to any search if you don't have to. Not that you have anything to hide but because the government needs to be inconvenienced anytime they want to do something they otherwise would be banned from doing.

I doubt NC ALE agents are hiding out in SC stores and using secret communication methods to rat you out. That seems very complicated.

Here is the statute for transporting over state lines into NC:

§ 18B-402. Alcoholic beverages purchased out-of-State.

A person may bring into North Carolina alcoholic beverages purchased legally
outside the jurisdiction of this State in the same amounts that may be legally transported
within the State under G.S. 18B-400 or G.S. 18B-403, except that no more than four liters
of spirituous liquor purchased outside this State may be brought into this State.

---

So, if you attempt to purchase 5 liters of liquor, announce it loudly in the store and state you are from NC AND get overheard by LEO then I guess you're going to get pulled over.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:34 PM

714 posts, read 2,305,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafish41 View Post
I live not 5 minutes from Southern Spirits and have never seen this type of thing there.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:38 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post

I doubt NC ALE agents are hiding out in SC stores and using secret communication methods to rat you out. That seems very complicated.
It does indeed happen. They even had it on TV once. They don't need to hide out in SC stores. NC agents will stake out FM and other close to the border stores from the NC side with binoculars. They look for NC tags. When someone buys a lot of booze from NC, they will radio up the license tag, and the party is pulled over. Of course it's almost a sure thing with places as close to a city as large as Charlotte.

How often they decide to do one of these stings, i have no idea. I'm also not sure what the party's rights are concerning the ALE agents having a look in the trunk or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte