Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:51 AM

5 posts, read 6,406 times

Advertisements

I got this information directly off of the NC ABC website HERE.

Looks like 4L is the correct answer. Assuming a regular bottle is about 750ml that means you can legally purchase up to five normal sized bottles and bring them across the state line. I don't see anything about a time period so i guess you can make as many trips as you want in a day as long as you only bring across what is allowed.

Also unlimited kegs!

Q: How much alcoholic beverages can I buy and transport?
A: North Carolina State law allows the following amounts of beer and unfortified wine to be purchased and transported without a permit:
BEER – Maximum of 80 liters I cans or bottles
(9) cases and (9) cans/bottles – 355 milliliter (12 oz)
(7) cases and (1) can/bottle – 473 milliliter (16 oz)
Kegs – unlimited

UNFORTIFIED WINE – Maximum of 50 liters
(10) 5 liter containers
(66) 750 milliliter bottles
(50) 1 liter bottles
(28) 1.75 liter bottles
SPIRITUOUS LIQUOR AND FORTIFIED WINE – 8 liters
COMBINATION OF SPIRITUOUS LIQUOR AND FORTIFIED WINE – 8 liters maximum
A person may only bring into the state 4 liters of fortified wine or spirituous liquor or a combination of the two.

A maximum of 100 liters of unfortified wine may be transported with a Purchase-Transportation permit. These free permits are issued by your local ABC store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 09:42 AM

821 posts, read 1,853,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Just looked at the price list something I pay around $65 for in SC sells for $85 in NC.
Now that has to be some GOOOOOOD single malt

Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Another advantage for us living in UC is easy access to lower SC booze & gas price...

Old 01-25-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Another advantage for us living in UC is easy access to lower SC booze & gas price...
Good point. It occurs to me that if one is making a run to a S.C. liquor store and the gas tank is half full, it would be good to fill up on S.C. while making the liquor run and the cost of the extra gas down to S.C. would be offset by cheaper gas in S.C.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Now that has to be some GOOOOOOD single malt
1.75l Glenlivet, while I am there I usually pick up 60.2% cask strength Aberlour

Oh an I also get additional dollars off with the coupons they place in a local flyer.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:26 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglock21 View Post
If they don't have it in stock, they can get it.

I've picked it up at the ABC in Morrisville/Cary (the one on Davis Drive at McCrimmon Pkwy) or in Holly Springs - I don't remember which. But if they have it at one, they can get it at any of them.
I have never seen it at the stores near me in Charlotte. But since the ones in SC always have it, I've never thought about trying to have them order it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafish41 View Post
I was just having a conversation about Frugal MacDougal the other day and a couple of people said during peak times (holidays, etc) there will be police catching people who buy from Frugals then head back across the NC line. Not sure if anyone else has heard this.

I have never seen that. I would think our police would have more important things to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
We need to keep state stores because people depend on them for their state paid jobs. I know several people who retired from the state with a pension they earned by making it a career to work in a state ABC store .A decent job for a decent AMERICAN tax payer and hard worker . Lets keep the standard high here in NC.
We pay enough in taxes every year to support an entire family. I'll buy my liquor where I can get a better selection at a better price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Only thing is the private entrepreneurs arent going to create real jobs with real benefits .
I know plenty of people who work for private companies and have real jobs with real benefits.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

I have never seen that. I would think our police would have more important things to do..
In the incident that I described above, I think it was the ALE (Alcohol Law Enforcement) agents that were involved. I agree that CMPD should have better things to do.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
In the incident that I described above, I think it was the ALE (Alcohol Law Enforcement) agents that were involved. I agree that CMPD should have better things to do.
The CMPD does not bother with any of the issues involving liquor purchases, regardless of the state where it was purchased. The local Mecklenburg ABC Commission has their own LEO's and their bosses get wrapped around the axle because so many resident of the area, especially those who live in South Charlotte go to SC and buy booze, gas, cars, and big ticket items where they can save because of the higher taxes in Meck Co.

So, after the lessons here, I'm buying booze in S.C. since the price of spirits and gasoline makes a trip down south well worth the trip. Thanks, y'all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte