Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 03:50 PM

21 posts, read 47,241 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am here in Charlotte visiting for Thanksgiving, and yesterday I drove to four different places trying to find a good thrift store/flea market/antique store and wasn't very successful.

First I went to Metrolina's Old Fashioned Flea Market... I was upset we drove far (20 minutes) for such a pathetic little "flea market". It was basically just one small building that had a horrible selection.

Then I went to the barnyard flea market by Carrowinds which was big, but wasn't really a flea market, it was more like a swap meet with new products.

Thirdly, I went to Value Village thrift store, but it was pretty terrible in housewares and furniture selection as well. (tons of clothes though)

Finally, we went to Sleepy Poet Antique Mall which was AWESOME. Such amazing selection, although the prices were very obviously marked up and pretty high. And you can't haggle there because the owners of the booths aren't present.

So here is my question... I am moving from Southern California and am used to places like the Rose Bowl Flea Market. Is anyone familiar? If not, check out the link to see what I'm looking for.

Is there anything like that here? A place where you can find really inexpensive but great vintage/antique housewares and old furniture you can buy for cheap and refinish? In California, the Salvation Army's are gems as well... tons of old furniture and cheap vintage housewares.

I'm upset I haven't been able to find that here... but I'm hoping I'm just not looking in the right place?

I'm wondering where all the vendors at Sleep Poet get their things, because they are obviously marked up. Maybe estate sales and garage sales?

Sorry this is so long, but I'm hoping someone can help me. This is a must find for me for my career (interior decorator).

Thank you!

(ps - Other than this problem, I LOOOOVE Charlotte! I cannot wait to move here for good in Jan)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 04:03 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,415 times
I'm from So Cal also and I thought the Long Beach Antique Market was much better than the Rose Bowl. They had between 600-800 dealers and it was awesome. I was also very disapointed when I went to Metrolina for the first time. I haven't been to the Cabarrus show yet hopefully someone can give us some insight if it is better than Metrolina, supossedly it is? There are a couple of previous threds on antique marts, just enter the subject under search the forum. If you like the Rose Bowl, get it in while you can, I so miss LB. Although you'll be on the right coast for the World's largest yard sale!

I love Sleepy Poet!

Metrolina Tradeshow Expo - Charlotte, NC

Cabarrus Arena & Events Center Location

127sale

Tips for Attending the World's Longest Yard Sale : Organizing : Home & Garden Television

Old 11-29-2009, 04:07 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,208,979 times
I have not been to either in a while but there is the Sweet Union flea market (or something like that) on Independence Blvd in Union county, and there is also a pretty large flea market in Dallas that I think is called the I-85 flea market. I believe it was once known as the 321 flea market named as such for the highway near there.

I would also check into the numerous auctions that take place around here all the time.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
best Ive been in this state is Cook's Flea Market in Winston Salem
It reminded me like the mall except flea market prices it even has an adult video store .. how crazy is that it all indoor Welcome To Cook's Flea Market! - Home Page
for closeness try the one in Pineville and the one in Dallas has alot of vendors

Old 11-29-2009, 05:24 PM

172 posts, read 465,468 times
The Sweet Union Flea Market is a Hispanic open air market more than anything. But there are great antique shops in the area. (Hidden Treasures, Pack Rat, The Golden Girls, Curious Cat to name a few). Usually you actually can haggle on prices...they can call the dealer to see if they will take less on the item. If you check the stores weekly you can find great stuff! This weekend for instance we were in Antique Alley and saw a nice Barrister's Bookcase for $995 then saw a nicer one for $595 in Golden Girls. If you're willing to sit through hours and hours of auctions you can find cheap furniture.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:26 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,804,465 times
Having been to several swap meets/flea markets in So. Cal.... you will not find flea markets/swap meets that are on the "same level" as in.Calif....Been searching for a while myself...sorry to disappoint but they are just not here.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:28 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,885 times
i have to second that charlotte/nc lacks in good
flea market shopping.
on top of that if you are into midcentury furniture you
are def. out of luck!
sleepy poets will call the owner of a booth to ask
about a lower price , have to agree that they are
a bit over priced, not a whole lot of deals nor great quality anything.
you might have better luck just shopping the
second hand and antique stores,
i do find those overpriced as well though.

some people drive to atlanta for the week-end to
find the deals.
also on the way to raleigh, nc there is a huge fleamarket but
do not know what is offered there.
asheboro area supposedly also has a decent one.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:40 PM
cfr

152 posts, read 373,768 times
There is Webb Road flea market off 85 around Salisbury. It has indoor / outdoor vendors. You never know what your going to find. Saturday shopping was more fun than Sunday [ booths were closed].

Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 PM

211 posts, read 501,176 times
im trying to find table cloth from thrift stores in uptown or near noda that sells decent ones? any suggestions?

Old 12-03-2009, 12:43 PM
cfr

152 posts, read 373,768 times
Maybe we can brainstorm? First, does it have to be in perfect condition? Any particular color ?
Dimensions ? What type of fabric does it need to be ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte