Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:27 AM

84 posts, read 492,571 times

Advertisements

I am new to posting on this site, but not new to reading posts and I have to thank everyone for all their valuable insights! I'm hoping someone can help me. We have recently gone into contract on a new home at Millbridge in Waxhaw. I have been researching the Union County area for some time, but now I'm nervous and was hoping that someone could give me the pros and cons of this particular area. I have some definite concerns about the Twelve Mile Creek plant and the fact that Millbridge is planning 2000 homes. It didn't occur to me until after the excitement of finding the house wore off what an overcrowding issue a development this size will create for the schools (Kensington Elem, Marvin MS and HS). I know overcrowding is part of life in the district because of the population growth, but 2000 homes is huge. I also read somewhere in a thread that someone mentioned Kensington was in a "questionable area" of Waxhaw. Is this true?

I would really appreciate any advice you might have (good and bad!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 09:05 AM

87 posts, read 285,649 times
I think Millbridge is going to be a great community to get in early with. 2000 homes is quite a lot, but you have to figure that this is going to take place over a course of many years - and many more years if sewer permits are limited again. Hopefully Union County is seeing that people are moving here and can now anticipate the overcrowding and keep up with schools and infrastructure to sustain it.

As far as the plant goes, I've heard differing opinions about it - mostly from those in Cureton and those considering Cureton. I've heard some say they can smell the plant at certain times (IMO those who ended up building somewhere else), and yet others who haven't experienced it at all. I'd recommend driving through the area at different times of the day and night to see if it is an issue. Also, Millbridge seems a little farther away and shouldn't be affected as much, should there actually be a problem.

I think it is a sound investment to look at Millbridge - especially so early in the development. With that said, if you are looking to sell your house in a couple of years - remember that the builder will be setting the overall market value as they will be building for some time. You won't be able to get more for your home, if someone can walk in and buy a new one for less. However, your equity will continue to go up and you could stand to make a considerable amount over the course of many years.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 AM

494 posts, read 1,349,120 times
I can't tell you about the plant. However, I can tell you that Waxhaw is a fabulous city and you will not regret your decision. That is why all the schools are crowded. ;-) I really do not know of a "questionable" area in Waxhaw...it is a wonderful town. Personally, I am hoping the growth here slows down a bit, but I am sure that you will be happy to have gotten in to Millbridge so early and that your investment will pay off down the line.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:49 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
You can look at the UCPS map for the building of schools...with a development that size and part of it being in SC as well, they will have to build more schools...right now the school site shows up until 2012 so who knows...Plus there will be 3 new schools on Cumbtherson Rd as well...

Old 10-17-2007, 01:33 PM

Thank you all for replying. My husband is going to take a very short trip down next week to look into these problems that have come up. From reading on here today, I also am now aware of the shooting range across the way. It's funny, because we had heard gun shots while we were down there and assumed it was people hunting. Shows you how on top of things we are! I'll look into that, but it's not a huge issue for us.

I did look on the UCPS website for future building and just assumed we would always be at Kensington b/c the salespeople are really selling the community as a neighborhood where the developer is investing money into the school. There will be walking trails to Kensington elementary and the developer is building sports fields, etc. I know SC is close, my backyard will actually back right up to Edenmoor development which is in SC, but our address is Waxhaw.

Hopefully, we will be satisfied with the answers we get next week b/c we've been looking for the right development for over a year and thought we had found exactly what we wanted!

Old 10-17-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTiz View Post
Thank you all for replying. My husband is going to take a very short trip down next week to look into these problems that have come up. From reading on here today, I also am now aware of the shooting range across the way. It's funny, because we had heard gun shots while we were down there and assumed it was people hunting. Shows you how on top of things we are! I'll look into that, but it's not a huge issue for us.

I did look on the UCPS website for future building and just assumed we would always be at Kensington b/c the salespeople are really selling the community as a neighborhood where the developer is investing money into the school. There will be walking trails to Kensington elementary and the developer is building sports fields, etc. I know SC is close, my backyard will actually back right up to Edenmoor development which is in SC, but our address is Waxhaw.

Hopefully, we will be satisfied with the answers we get next week b/c we've been looking for the right development for over a year and thought we had found exactly what we wanted!
NY well good luck to you in whatever u choose, I dont know how Kensington will hold all those kids but the kids from lawson and the surround area who are going to kensington now will be going to the new schools on Cumbtherson rd...that should eliviate a little bit...same thing with the Middle and HS...yes the shooting range is right there, I went to go look there as well its going to be beautiful im sure...

Old 10-17-2007, 01:57 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
I am new to posting on this site, but not new to reading posts and I have to thank everyone for all their valuable insights! I'm hoping someone can help me. We have recently gone into contract on a new home at Millbridge in Waxhaw. I have been researching the Union County area for some time, but now I'm nervous and was hoping that someone could give me the pros and cons of this particular area. I have some definite concerns about the Twelve Mile Creek plant and the fact that Millbridge is planning 2000 homes. It didn't occur to me until after the excitement of finding the house wore off what an overcrowding issue a development this size will create for the schools (Kensington Elem, Marvin MS and HS). I know overcrowding is part of life in the district because of the population growth, but 2000 homes is huge. I also read somewhere in a thread that someone mentioned Kensington was in a "questionable area" of Waxhaw. Is this true?

I would really appreciate any advice you might have (good and bad!).

A "questionable area" in Waxhaw, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, had to get that out of my system

You will love Waxhaw - and there are no bad areas.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:59 PM

Loves Mountains - Thank you! I had read someone questioning the area on a different post, but I'm glad to hear that it is fine. I thought so because we've been down and spent time specifically in the area they were referring to and we loved it!

Berry - Thanks for the info on the schools. I am worried about the overcrowding at the school because of Millbridge, but I am relieved that there are new schools being built to help alleviate it. That is one thing I am impressed with. The county is really on top of the population explosion. Hopefully, that will hold true with the waste treatment plant too!

Thanks for relieving my anxiety!

Old 10-17-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Loves Mountains - Thank you! I had read someone questioning the area on a different post, but I'm glad to hear that it is fine. I thought so because we've been down and spent time specifically in the area they were referring to and we loved it!

Berry - Thanks for the info on the schools. I am worried about the overcrowding at the school because of Millbridge, but I am relieved that there are new schools being built to help alleviate it. That is one thing I am impressed with. The county is really on top of the population explosion. Hopefully, that will hold true with the waste treatment plant too!

Thanks for relieving my anxiety!
ahh NY one more thing "Breathe" you sound stressed, relax and welcome to charlotte...

Old 10-17-2007, 03:38 PM

124 posts, read 440,397 times
Kensington Elementary has been named a "School of High Growth" and an "Honor School of Excellence" for the recent school year. So far, we're impressed with what we see there. The website for them is Kensington Elementary School

Millbridge should be far enough from Twelve Mile Creek for it to be pretty much a non-issue. We live in Cureton and, I won't lie, we do smell the plant every once in a while, but not to the point where it's a constant nuisance. But Cureton is MUCH closer than Millbridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: