Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,813,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
And just because it didn't happen to you yet doesn't mean that it couldn't or that it hasn't happened to someone else.

Also, keep in mind that no one was injured in the bus that caught fire, so technically no one became a statistic.
True. But the burning bus became a statistic. And I doubt the folks on the bus felt real good about their trip, even tho they "escaped injury."

Not saying that there are no car accidents. Just saying that I would think most folks will give it more thought about cost vs. safety when they are deciding what transportation to choose when planning a trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 12:09 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,426,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
True. But the burning bus became a statistic. And I doubt the folks on the bus felt real good about their trip, even tho they "escaped injury."

Not saying that there are no car accidents. Just saying that I would think most folks will give it more thought about cost vs. safety when they are deciding what transportation to choose when planning a trip.
Of course. I'll admit I don't know what the exact numbers are for cars vs. buses, but I believe the other thread was talking about an overnight drive, so taking into account other factors like weather and potentially drowsy driving, I would personally rather not be the one driving. Of course you can still get into an accident as evidenced by these incidents, but you can get into an accident if you're driving too (as well as if you take Greyhound, Amtrak, etc.).

Old 08-10-2012, 12:15 PM

7,125 posts, read 11,763,515 times
Same old, same old view points as the last time.For a good look do some research on the safety records of these buses. Start with the ones that leave from ChinaTown in NYC. And no, I'm not going to give you the links but I read Three NY papers everyday and it's a disaster. They can't shut them down fast enough. Now if you're still not swayed.....go ride them. No problem.

My personal Guardian Angel whispered in my ear "Pink Caddy you no go there...hear me?"

Old 08-10-2012, 12:31 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,935,537 times
The Chinatown and Megabus buses remind me of Central American or Philipino buses without the primitive art work all over. The Chinatown bus has a very poor safety record and has hired very unqualified drivers.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:31 PM

Yes, the Chinatown buses are pretty bad, I'll give you that. But they are totally different from Megabus and Boltbus (the latter of which is owned by Greyhound).

And in my very first post in this thread I pointed out that these recent incidents are very disturbing. However, prior to this week their safety record was pretty good: as far as I could tell there had only been 2 fatal incidents ever involving Megabus. Unfortunately that number has doubled in the past week. Even still, two of those were not even passengers on the bus...not trying to make a joke but if I've learned one thing here it's don't try to cross the street near the Megabus.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:56 PM

15,388 posts, read 12,743,737 times
Megabus and Chinatown buses are night and day... the recent accidents are alarming but these buses (megabuses) travel a ton without incidents.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, the Chinatown buses are pretty bad, I'll give you that. But they are totally different from Megabus and Boltbus (the latter of which is owned by Greyhound).
Business Lessons From Chinatown Buses | Fast Company

The difference is Chinatown bus crashed into guard rail. Megabus (see link) crash into overhead killing a bunch of people.

Yep Megabus's kill count was less. Totally different...I agree.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post

Yep Megabus's kill count was less. Totally different...I agree.
Not sure if this is sacrcasm or not, but your link does prove my point:

Quote:
BoltBus and MegaBus also went on the lobbying offensive against Chinatown buses. Greyhound, Peter Pan, and Stagecoach Group (my note: the owners of BoltBus and Megabus) are all members of the American Bus Association (ABA) industry group. The ABA extensively lobbied in Washington for increased scrutiny of Chinatown bus lines, and issued a press release celebrating the May 29 shutdowns. None of the 26 companies raided by federal authorities in May belonged to the ABA.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Not sure if this is sacrcasm or not, but your link does prove my point:
You can be sure....that's for sure. Giddy up Phil next schlock bus leaves at 6.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:41 PM

Making a recommendation is a responsibilty that one takes on. When you recommend a restaurant to a friend you hope all will go well because you enjoyed it so much. Same for a ecommendation to a service, a store, a community.

Now when you recommend a bus service that has some skeltons in the closet you add to your responsibilty as now there are lives at stake. It's almost like you are saying "In spite of everything said about this bus service I'm telling you it's OK".

My question to you Mr. Phil is: Why? Why take the responsibilty on? What's in it for you to continue to take this postion when in fact the few bux of savings is an equation against someones's life? Certainly you can't have any skin in this game, so what is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte