Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:28 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times

Advertisements

It seems that the Charlotte Observer has undergone another round of layoffs. Since I moved here in 2005, the newspaper has gotten thinner and smaller. Do you think the print version of the paper will survive? I'm one of those increasingly rare people that enjoy reading a newspaper in the morning. Newspapers and bathrooms are a perfect morning compliment to each other! My laptop will not be following me in there anytime soon -either!

It has been a hard time for newspapers in general, with the internet competition, and now the downturn in the economy. This has recently led to the shutdown of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and the Rocky Mountain News.

No matter how you feel about the editorial content, the shuttering of a newspaper is a sad affair for the community it serves. If the Observers print edition folds, I just wonder about long-term survival of the on-line version. If the print edition goes under, I'll probably subscribe to the New York Times. How will this affect you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 12:20 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,219,334 times
Most print, especially local print newspapers are going away. It's just a sign of the times, I don't feel too bad regarding the loss of the paper itself. I feel for the hardworking people and other business it effects, but we have moved digital and paper can't compete. If the paper version goes so will the on-line version, there is no reason for it they don't have the sales force to make it profitable. What I have seen in Denver and Cleveland where this has already happened is the tv stations websites seem to improve and they bring in some of the writers for on-line only work vs the TV.

I want the reporting to stay but personally I wish the paper aspect would all go away and save the trees and allow for more advancment of microdisplay technology. It's too soon, but you will have fold up LCD's just like your paper. You will then be able to read in your favorite spots.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:28 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,910,103 times
I have to admit that I really don't care for print newspapers any longer. I read the pertinent news that I need online and I'll seek out several sources for the stories that I have concerns about.

I do give props to the local paper for two things. One is the the coupons that I like to cut out and forget to use at the store. And two is the ongoing exercise I get looking for my paper in the shrubs, under the cars, and God knows where else in my yard, thanks to the swell delivery guy we have. Once I find it, I usually take it out of the plastic sleeve and put it in with the other recyclables.

No, I won't miss it at all. In fact, I look forward to the money I'll save for not subscribing any longer.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:33 PM

630 posts, read 1,877,656 times
I enjoy the comments section on the charlotte observer site. That is more entertaining and informative than the articles most of the time.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:51 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,964,222 times
Two weeks ago The Herald in Rock Hill closed their presses down and had a layoff ... the printing for The Herald was moved to the Charlotte Observer ... they are both owned by The McClatchy Company that owns 30 newspapers across the country. McClatchy

The remaining employees making $25,000 or more had to take a salary reduction of 2.5 to 10 percent.

One day our grandchildren or great grands will ask us ... "what was a newspaper?" I know people read online but we are slowly getting everything online.

When our oldest daughter had worked, saved and scrimped to buy a place of her own ... and her plans finally came together ... she asked me to go with her to her bank to get the money she had saved for her downpayment. We got to her bank when they opened ... placed in an office with a nice young lady and she goes tapping away at her computer ... nothing ... she tried again ... and nothing ... she picks up her phone and makes a call and then informs us ... Emerald is down!! I asked who is Emerald and what does she have to do with this transaction ... time rolls on ... we are offered coffee ... no thank you ... 10:20am ... still sitting there waiting on Emerald to get off her butt and get online ... lady's phone rings ... poor Emerald she won't be up until possibly 1:00PM ... could we return at that time ... I asked ... your tellers are accepting money out there ... how is that recorded with Emerald down ... they are handwriting receipts and will enter the amounts when Emerald is back online.

I am guilty too ... I read newspapers online ... I bank online ... pay my bills online ... but I keep remembering the day Emerald was down and daughter finally was able to complete her transaction at 2:30PM.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:58 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,219,334 times
Emerald is an evil beast! BAM! Oh wait..

Ya, computers are starting to take over, but I also recall 20 years ago without the PC getting a loan approved could have taken weeks, I guess we have to take the good with the bad. I miss some of the times building things by hand. I still try to do math in my head or a calc. I like books, which add to the comfort, but soon.. You are right, our grandkids will be asking whats a Book, whats anewspaper, whats a tiger?

Old 03-23-2009, 02:40 PM

624 posts, read 2,108,128 times
Yeah, I saw this article from CNN today which also references the Observer along with other newspapers across the country struggling to survive.

Newspapers fold as readers defect and economy sours - CNN.com

Old 03-23-2009, 03:02 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
The time of newspapers is over.

Today with 999 channels of 24 hour news, the paper is obsolete before the ink is dry.
It is just an unfortunate part of 'progress'.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:19 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times
It is sad that today's society has become so conditioned that they feel pointing and clicking their way to nirvana is the BEST way.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:43 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,053,560 times
I still like newspapers. There is a beginning and an end to it. The internet just goes on forever it seems lol.
I also like books, I hope they never go away. I feel to an extent the internet can be controlled. Like certain sites come up when you search a particular word and sometimes sites can be shut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte