Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 02:52 PM

54 posts, read 151,568 times

Advertisements

This question is directed to Charlotte transplants who hail from Northeast Ohio. I currently live in Hudson, Ohio and will likely be relocating to the Charlotte area for job purposes. I LOVE where I live and was wondering if there are any communities in Charlotte that have the same vibe and feel of Hudson or Chagrin Falls? (i.e., quaint, charming, scenic towns, family-friendly towns with good schools but not too far from metro area)

Thanks for any feedback you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 05:37 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick808 View Post
This question is directed to Charlotte transplants who hail from Northeast Ohio. I currently live in Hudson, Ohio and will likely be relocating to the Charlotte area for job purposes. I LOVE where I live and was wondering if there are any communities in Charlotte that have the same vibe and feel of Hudson or Chagrin Falls? (i.e., quaint, charming, scenic towns, family-friendly towns with good schools but not too far from metro area)

We almost built a house in Hudson in late 80s and most recently moved from Chagrin Falls in 2004 to Weddington (south suburb of Charlotte). I always thought Chagrin was one of the best places to live in the midwest. We chose to move south as we got tired of weather in the snowbelt. We love it here and would never move back north. I think the Myers Park area would be the most similiar type area and would be worth a look, although you may find MP to be a little pricier. Good luck in your move.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:00 PM

189 posts, read 333,958 times
Welcome to the area. I'm originally from Twinsburg! Getting to your question, I'd take a look at Belmont. It has a nice little downtown area that I can draw comparisons to Hudson/Chagrin Falls town square. It's also a 25-30 minute drive to Uptown on Rt 74 or I-85.

Myers Park is definitely a desirable part of Charlotte with good schools. If you want to stay in the city then I'd look there. It has a nice stock of well kept older homes much like you'd find in Chagrin Falls. Since it is part of the city it doesn't have a town square itself but the Selwyn/Colony intersection is turning into a nice little retail area.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:41 PM

531 posts, read 1,079,702 times
Good to see someone from NE ohio. Welcome!
Where do you want to live - North or South Clt? Waxhaw in South or Huntersville in North will be similar to Hudson.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:50 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
Better to know where the job would be before you make a decision. Charlotte is extremely spread out, and traffice does not move nearly as efficiently here as it does in NE Ohio. For example, you don't want to commute from Huntersville if you're working in Ballantyne.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:11 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feng21 View Post
Good to see someone from NE ohio. Welcome!
Where do you want to live - North or South Clt? Waxhaw in South or Huntersville in North will be similar to Hudson.
Just my opinion to help OP, Waxhaw does have a unique downtown but not nearly the charm of of Chagrin Falls, may be closer to Hudson downtown as mentioned. I do consider Waxhaw 'off the beaten path' and pretty far from metro area. Huntersville has no resemblance to the two northern cities. Here is photo of part of Waxhaw downtown..

Last edited by ZnGuy; 01-30-2012 at 05:22 AM..

Old 01-30-2012, 05:36 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,562 times
Nothing like Chargin Falls here. Maybe Blowing Rock, NC. You will have to adapt to sunshine. Leave the snow removal gear in Ohio.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:05 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick808 View Post

Chagrin Falls is very cute, but I don't think there is much in the Charlotte area that has the same vibe you're talking about. As a soon-to-be *former* Ohioan (NE), I would steer you towards Myers Park/Dilworth areas, they have a lot of charm, close to Uptown and good schools, but are expensive (think high-end Chagrin Falls pricing). Personally, I prefer to be close to Uptown, and try to avoid sprawling suburbs at all costs. You could look further North/South, but from what I've seen, not much out there would remind you of home. Good luck.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:19 AM

564 posts, read 1,454,604 times
I have family in Hudson who visit frequently. They state that Waxhaw reminds them of Hudson every time we go there. I have to agree from what I have seen they are very similar.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:17 AM

54 posts, read 151,568 times
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I now have some idea of which communities to consider when I begin visiting Charlotte to scope out neighborhoods.

On a related note, for those of you who relocated from NE Ohio, are you happy overall with your move to NC? My wife and I have tried to remain patient in hopes that the economy, schools, and overall quality of life would improve in the Cleveland region. Unfortunately, the economy is in the dumps, public school funding and resources are woeful, and leadership here is incompetent at best (not to mention the long and treacherous winters).
Of course, I realize there is no such thing as "utopia", but some places are simply better than others for family life, employment, and education. What say you about the Charlotte region compared to Ohio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte