Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,370,288 times

Advertisements

Maverick - do you know anyone in NE Ohio who moved there from the Charlotte region for the quality of life? Didn't think so. No offense, just an observation of people voting with their feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 AM

54 posts, read 151,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Maverick - do you know anyone in NE Ohio who moved there from the Charlotte region for the quality of life? Didn't think so. No offense, just an observation of people voting with their feet.

Oh, I'm not offended at all. I completely understand that NE Ohio is not at the top of most people's wish list for relocating. I also know that Charlotte has been a VERY popular destination for transplants in the last 10 years. In light of that, I'd like to hear from native Ohioans about their take on Charlotte. That's all.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,484 times
Originally from Chicago, I've lived in Cleveland for over 20 years. And except for the brief period in the 90's when things were looking up here, Cleveland will never be able to compete with many, many other cities in the U.S. And even if the economy, schools, leadership, etc. improves, the weather will never change. We have 6-7 months of nice/tolerable weather. The rest are complete crap. Winter lasts forever, and the "Spring" (when we have one) is also cold and wet. If you're a true "outdoor" person, Cleveland sucks.

We did a brief relo to Raleigh a few years back. The toughest thing to get over when moving down South is the "y'all" factor. Especially if you've spent your entire life in the Midwest. But I've also found that most of these folks are genuinely nicer than Midwesterners too. Charlotte may be a bit different because of many more transplants, but it is indeed The South. Not a bad thing, but potentially hard to deal with for some. Especially if you're in outside sales. Better start practicing your "y'all's" or you might find yourself on the "outside" (speaking from experience).

With all that said, I would move to Charlotte (or San Diego) tomorrow if I could. I call it "ABC" - Anywhere But Cleveland. A great place to be from (and perhaps live for some), but there are many more opportunities and MUCH better weather elsewhere. I believe this recent article also sums it up nicely:

Do Rankings Affect Our Opinions of Cities? - Arts & Lifestyle - The Atlantic Cities

My advice - unless you really have something holding you in Cleveland, get out now. It's only going to get worse (or stay the same). Sorry that I may have gotten a bit off topic and expressed a little too much negativity but thanks for letting me rant.

P.S. I haven't spent a lot of time down there but I really liked the Lake Norman area. I would love to have a boat on a lake that doesn't have 6 foot waves in the summer and a foot of ice in the winter. And, it would also be awesome to play golf 12 months a year. Just sayin'.....

Old 01-31-2012, 02:11 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,394,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick808 View Post
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I now have some idea of which communities to consider when I begin visiting Charlotte to scope out neighborhoods.

On a related note, for those of you who relocated from NE Ohio, are you happy overall with your move to NC? My wife and I have tried to remain patient in hopes that the economy, schools, and overall quality of life would improve in the Cleveland region. Unfortunately, the economy is in the dumps, public school funding and resources are woeful, and leadership here is incompetent at best (not to mention the long and treacherous winters).
Of course, I realize there is no such thing as "utopia", but some places are simply better than others for family life, employment, and education. What say you about the Charlotte region compared to Ohio?
Like I said I would never move back...nice to visit, especially in Summer. I know many northerner transplants, not one would move back. Usually the one that want to return is related to job or they miss family. My broker who works for a top firm in CLE is scouting for homes on LKN. I enjoy playing tennis (outdoors) during Jan, like today , can't do that up north..

Old 01-31-2012, 05:14 PM

189 posts, read 334,024 times
I know that I'd never move north again except for Chicago or NYC. The weather is great here (golfed last Saturday, it's January!), coming from Cleveland it's cool to see taller buildings going up as opposed to neighborhoods of vacant buildings being torn down. While no where can escape the economy I think that it's much better than Cleveland has been the past few years. And there is just an overall progressive feel to the region. That's one thing I always resented about Cleveland. The arguments, corruption and bickering within local government up there seems to be much more prevalent then it is in Charlotte. Down here it seems like on the big issues everyone can put their political parties aside for the greater good of the city.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:12 AM

9 posts, read 17,649 times
I live in a new commuinty with about 50 new homes. We have 7 households from Ohio so football season is fun! We have a couple that just moved here from Chagrin Area. 1 girl is from Akron/Canton area. 1 couple is from Solon. The lady across from me is from Southern Ohio and I think the others are from Toledo! It's been surreal as new people are moving in. Most of us are implants. I lived in San Diego from 2001-2008, Ohio for 6 months (hometown) - i live on the SC border by Ballantyne. We LOVE it. The taxes are low! I live here in Indian Land/Fort Mill area but when I need to dose of the Ohio feel I go to Dilworth, Soth End, Noda, and downtown!

Old 02-02-2012, 07:07 AM

157 posts, read 322,447 times
Grew up in Cleveland (a suburb actually, nobody lives IN Cleveland). We are considering the Lake Norman area. You might like Davidson for charm, Huntersville if you need lots of shopping, and Cornelius is a mix of those two. One the other side of the lake there is Denver, but that would be all I'd recommend on that side.

Having said all that, we are now seriously considering Charleston because kids are gone and we're only 15 yrs. from retirement.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:49 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,599,218 times
Considering you have a job lined up OP, the hard part is over. The worst thing that can happen is that you come here, work for a couple of years, decide Charlotte doesn't cut it for whatever reason, and go back home.

It's also a good way for you to learn 1 of 2 things. Either that being away shows you that Ohio is truly the place for you, or that Ohio just wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:55 AM

8 posts, read 8,862 times
We just moved to the Charlotte area (Waxhaw) from Hinckley, OH last year. We feel this area
is similar with good schools (Cuthbertson), a mix of old and new, close to shopping, but enough room to breathe. The weather here is wonderful and we have adapted well. Having said that, Ohio will always feel like home to us. I think the people in Ne Ohio are every bit as nice as in the south...although not many people around here are natives. Charlotte has taken a hit in the economy and housing like everyone else. I do think they have a stronger "come-back" ability than the Cleveland area does. I would say do your homework, take some time to visit different areas, take everyone's opinion as just that...an opinion, and then decide for yourself.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:20 PM

20 posts, read 61,691 times
Just relocated from NE Ohio. I worked in Chagrin Falls, my parents used to own a restaurant there too. Check out Davidson NC. Small town feel. Private College, Davidson College. Super nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte