Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,806 times

Advertisements

We visited the Carolinas around Thanksgiving last year (2007) and fell in love with them. We surveyed several cities in both North and South Carolina on that whirlwind trip. We finally decided to live somewhere near the border between the two states and chose Charlotte. My husband and son will be heading down this coming Sat. to make contact with an employment placement agency (suggestions for that too are still being accepted). These are our particular needs: (without trying to state the obvious)

My husband and I need decent paying full time jobs.
My 2 older kids will be getting in to colleges around there and working part time.
My 2 younger kids.... son in 10th grade (important for school to have a good football program) and daughter in 7th grade.

We will rent the first year there then will buy (or build?).

Give us all the advice you can think of, please. We want to move as soon as possible.

Thank you! Cinder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 05:51 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinder View Post
We visited the Carolinas around Thanksgiving last year (2007) and fell in love with them. We surveyed several cities in both North and South Carolina on that whirlwind trip. We finally decided to live somewhere near the border between the two states and chose Charlotte. My husband and son will be heading down this coming Sat. to make contact with an employment placement agency (suggestions for that too are still being accepted). These are our particular needs: (without trying to state the obvious)

My husband and I need decent paying full time jobs.
My 2 older kids will be getting in to colleges around there and working part time.
My 2 younger kids.... son in 10th grade (important for school to have a good football program) and daughter in 7th grade.

We will rent the first year there then will buy (or build?).

Give us all the advice you can think of, please. We want to move as soon as possible.

Thank you! Cinder
I live in Steele Creek which is near the border of S.C. and N.C. which is great as we can take advantage of what both states have to offer. If I had to do it over again, we would have made the move to Fort Mill, SC rather then Charlotte, NC. I can't really explain it but there is just something different when you cross over that border into Fort Mill. I drive there frequently as all of our doctors are there. Charlotte in general is more of an urban lifestyle, sure there are suburbs, but in general these are different compared to any where else I have ever lived, less of a suburban feel to them. Fort Mill is very suburban, not at all urban and seems to me like a great place to raise a family. Coming from Ohio, you may find fault in Charlotte's school system, while Fort Mill on the other hand has some of the top schools in the country. Not sure about the football team. So even if you take jobs in Charlotte, the drive to Fort Mill is not much different then if you lived in Steele Creek. Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:36 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,894 times
Just a couple of questions -- Is it important for you to rent where you will eventually buy? (Often this is the case if you have children and do not want them to have to switch schools) If so, a price point would be helpful so we can suggest appropriate areas.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:39 PM

380 posts, read 1,757,583 times
Where in Ohio are you coming from? We just moved here last month from Ohio.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,806 times
Default Thanks all !

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! Yes, it would be great to be able to stay in the same area that we rent so the kids can stay in the same school system. I'm sure that what we will be able to afford in a house will depend on the jobs we find, but I'm guessing that our price range will be between $150,000 to $300,00. We are currently living in Defiance, Ohio, which is an hour away from EVERYTHING (haha). An hour southwest of Toledo, and hour northeast of Fort Wayne, IN. Deb

Old 01-14-2008, 10:00 PM

380 posts, read 1,757,583 times
We are from Perrysburg, real close to Defiance, OH. I just sent you a private message so check that and get back to me.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:59 AM

59 posts, read 201,773 times
Does anyone live in Rock Hill, SC?? I wonder about education, culture, etc in that area for growth and opportunity, sophistication etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: