Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 10:59 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,432,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I didn't say "every day".

And anyway, since you are so far north, the sun angle is lower the further north you go, so even on a rare "clear" day in New England in the winter, the sun is so low in the sky that it doesn't "feel" sunny....

That's why those short days are killers the further north you go. Heck, goto New Jersey now and its dark by 5pm. In Hartford it starts getting dark after 4-4:30....Maine you start getting dark by 3:30pm.....that's plain miserable.
Sounds like the weather in the North east of "Old England" but with more snow. In December it's dark by 3pm and doesn't get light until around 8am.
Of course we didn't get the hot Summers either.
Much prefer the weather here-even the hot Summers. Do feel the cold even more now though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 12:40 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,736,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
3:30 ? ahhhhhh Jack......you love to exaggerate the northern cold and sunlight. What can we do to help you realize that New England is not the North Pole?
JP,

Look what I wrote, I wasn't exaggerating.

I said Maine gets dark by 3:30 in winter.

The sun sets around 4pm in December in Augusta, ME.

Sunrise and Sunset for U.S.A. – Maine – Augusta – December 2011

I've been to Bangor in January. Nice time of year.....

It ain't Alaska, but jeez...getting dark at 3:30-4pm. Low sun angle. Freezing cold..... That's a recipie for suicide.

Maine is part of New England, correct?

Old 11-29-2011, 12:43 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,736,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
The measured temperature is objective, but how folks experience that is very subjective. One of my sons LOOOVES to be cold, so a measurement of 72 degrees feels like 95 to him. A measured 72 to me, on the other hand, is near about perfect. And 62 feels like 35 to me.

So while you say "25 days in the 40s! That's cold!" jp might see all those 40s and think, "That's perfect!" Because 42 feels to him like 70 would feel to you.
I agree 100% with you, but that is not in line w/the overwhelming majority of how people feel in this part of the country. I've tried to explain that to him, but he keeps saying its hell on earth here for 4 months when the overwhelming majority of people on this board disagree. That's what he and a few others don't get.....

That's also why I keep telling him to move to either northern New England or San Diego...

Old 11-29-2011, 02:10 PM

194 posts, read 431,309 times
Its freezing today!!!!!! I hope it warms up soon!! I like the sun & the heat

Old 11-29-2011, 03:32 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,174,109 times
Quote:
I agree 100% with you, but that is not in line w/the overwhelming majority of how people feel in this part of the country. I've tried to explain that to him, but he keeps saying its hell on earth here for 4 months when the overwhelming majority of people on this board disagree. That's what he and a few others don't get.....

That's also why I keep telling him to move to either northern New England or San Diego...
The overwhelming majority of people here don't love the heat Jack..they tolerate it because of the better winter weather. Who loves 90 plus 4 months a year? Seriously.. Keep in mind I like hot days in summer, cold days in winter and moderate days in between. Given the choice though I'd rather deal with the cold side than the warm! Thats all I ever said.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
JP,

Look what I wrote, I wasn't exaggerating.

I said Maine gets dark by 3:30 in winter.

The sun sets around 4pm in December in Augusta, ME.

Sunrise and Sunset for U.S.A. – Maine – Augusta – December 2011

I've been to Bangor in January. Nice time of year.....

It ain't Alaska, but jeez...getting dark at 3:30-4pm. Low sun angle. Freezing cold..... That's a recipie for suicide.

Maine is part of New England, correct?
Some people love that weather Jack...why is it a recipe for suicide? Yes, by the way that is New England but the majority of New England has moderate winter weather. You seem to think its like the frozen tundra of the Northwest Territories.....

Old 11-30-2011, 06:35 AM

407 posts, read 852,305 times
From www.weather.com.
Presently Bangor, Maine 8:30 AM
60 degrees
Sunset 3:56 PM
Everything is relative.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacmd70 View Post
From www.weather.com.
Presently Bangor, Maine 8:30 AM
60 degrees
Sunset 3:56 PM
Everything is relative.
nutty weather ..it was colder in Georgia than it was in Maine..

Nice day today. I tell ya, I love my snow, and cold is fine for me but who can argue a 60 degree day in December...beautiful...

Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,283,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
nutty weather ..it was colder in Georgia than it was in Maine..

Nice day today. I tell ya, I love my snow, and cold is fine for me but who can argue a 60 degree day in December...beautiful...
I'd imagine the abnormal GA/ME temps are short-lived and will revert to seasonal conditions. Excellent forecast for this weekend, crisp late fall weather and nice setting for what should be an entertaining ACC championship game downtown (well, uptown) Saturday night + other activities.

Different thread but did ya try that Cookout shake?

Old 12-02-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I'd imagine the abnormal GA/ME temps are short-lived and will revert to seasonal conditions. Excellent forecast for this weekend, crisp late fall weather and nice setting for what should be an entertaining ACC championship game downtown (well, uptown) Saturday night + other activities.

Different thread but did ya try that Cookout shake?
I haven't yet. Thanks for reminding me. I forgot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte