Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:25 PM

23 posts, read 34,622 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I currently live in Southern California. We have been discussing our interest in moving to the East Coast for some time now. We both have fallen in love with North Carolina....specifically the Charlotte area. He is fortunate ton own his own company and has the freedom to operate from anywhere. He prefers to be near a large city due to the fact that there are more opportunities for growth.

We have a child who will be entering elementary school next year and we will hopefully grow our family over the next few years. We would love to get some advice on the best areas surrounding Charlotte that have great private schools and that are safe. We are looking to purchase equestrian land and will be building a home sometime in the next few years. We would like to find a home to rent in the same area we plan to build so we don't have to move our family out of their comfort zone.

Any advice non good equestrian areas that are safe, have good schools and are good for families? We looked into Cheval near Mint Hill....any opinions will help. We would like 5-10 acres

Thanks!,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 01:06 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatingToNC2012 View Post
My Husband and I currently live in Southern California. We have been discussing our interest in moving to the East Coast for some time now. We both have fallen in love with North Carolina....specifically the Charlotte area. He is fortunate ton own his own company and has the freedom to operate from anywhere. He prefers to be near a large city due to the fact that there are more opportunities for growth.

We have a child who will be entering elementary school next year and we will hopefully grow our family over the next few years. We would love to get some advice on the best areas surrounding Charlotte that have great private schools and that are safe. We are looking to purchase equestrian land and will be building a home sometime in the next few years. We would like to find a home to rent in the same area we plan to build so we don't have to move our family out of their comfort zone.

Any advice non good equestrian areas that are safe, have good schools and are good for families? We looked into Cheval near Mint Hill....any opinions will help. We would like 5-10 acres

Thanks!,
Gaston Day School has an excellent reputation. It's in Gastonia.

You can get equestrian land in Cherryville & Kings Mountain. If you think that there is any chance of using the public schools in the future, look specifically at Kings Mountain.

If your husband will need access to the airport on a fairly regular basis, skew your search to Kings Mountain. Kings Mountain is a town (a little over 11K) which is in Gaston & Cleveland Counties. It is surrounded by unincorporated land that is also Kings Mountain.

Just to clarify, school districts here are by county. Kings Mountain schools in Cleveland County are far superior to the Bessemer City schools where children on the Gaston County side are sent to, if you want to keep public schools as a potential option.

In my opinion, the drive to Gaston Day would be better from Kings Mountain than Cherryville. Kings Mountain has direct access to Gastonia via US74 & I 85.

Last edited by southbound_295; 08-18-2011 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-18-2011, 02:19 PM

Ok......just to clarify......you recommend Kings Mountain over Gastonia? We would like our kids in private school till at least HS. My husband will be flying often and likes to be close to the city. Currently we are an hour outside LA living in Orange County.....which is a decent size city. So nothing too far. We definitely want property.......in a nice area with families.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:28 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,369,437 times
As always, it boils down to how much you're willing/able to spend.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Ok......just to clarify......you recommend Kings Mountain over Gastonia? We would like our kids in private school till at least HS. My husband will be flying often and likes to be close to the city. Currently we are an hour outside LA living in Orange County.....which is a decent size city. So nothing too far. We definitely want property.......in a nice area with families.
Gastonia is a city of over 70K. You could look south of Gastonia for acreage. The best highschool, at present would be Forestview. Kings Mountain High is somewhat better.

The airport is on the west side of Charlotte, but within the city limits. I live in Kings Mountain (within the city limits) & it takes me ~30 min. to get to the intersection for the airport. Your time may vary, since to get acreage you would be outside of the town, but the public school would still be Kings Mountain HS, if you are in Cleveland County. I would strongly suggest a visit to look at different areas.

Gastonia would be closer to the airport than Kings Mountain. Cherryville is north of Kings Mountain, but in Gaston County. Access to Gastonia is either to take a county road or drive south to Kings Mountain.

Most shopping west of Charlotte is in Gastonia, so no matter which of the 3 you live in, that's where you do most of your shopping. Kings Mountain has a large Ingles supermarket.
The area west of Charlotte took a big hit with the demise of the textile industry. The area is reinventing itself & bringing in businesses. If someone came through Kings Mountain last summer & then came back this summer they would notice changes. The same goes for Gastonia.

Here are city websites.

City of Kings Mountain, North Carolina

City of Cherryville, NC

City of Gastonia, NC - Home Page

Last edited by southbound_295; 08-18-2011 at 03:03 PM..

Old 08-18-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
As always, it boils down to how much you're willing/able to spend.
At this point anything in NC will be significantly less expensive than what we are currently paying. Lot prices really depend....we are open to prices since we don't plan to build immediately....rent is the same. We would like no less than 4 bedrooms.....prefer to have 5.... And a yard.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:15 PM

I should stress that we do not want to be in the mountains. We want equestrian property.....preferably in an equestrian community

Old 08-18-2011, 03:18 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,713 times
You don't want to move from Orange county to Gastonia. Look at Union county instead. There are lots of horse farms there and the public schools are excellent. You'll be surrounded by high dollar homes and new development, not rednecks and gritty strip malls. The only obstacle in Union county is that you'll be on the complete opposite side of the metro from the airport.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I should stress that we do not want to be in the mountains. We want equestrian property.....preferably in an equestrian community
I haven't recommended anything in the mountains. Kings Mountain is 30 miles from Charlotte & about 90 miles from Asheville. I know that is a lot of equestrian interest here. You'd have to check with a realtor about equestrian communities. I've seen something about an equestrian community here, but I don't know if it bit the dust in this economy.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
You don't want to move from Orange county to Gastonia. Look at Union county instead. There are lots of horse farms there and the public schools are excellent. You'll be surrounded by high dollar homes and new development, not rednecks and gritty strip malls. The only obstacle in Union county is that you'll be on the complete opposite side of the metro from the airport.
I said south of Gastonia, when the OP asked. There is acreage there. How much time have you spent in SE Gastonia, anyway? I suspect none. There are millionaires who live there. Been to Gaston Mall recently? The only difference between that & the rest of the shopping in Gastonia when compared to Charlotte is less traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte