Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 03:37 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,139,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I said south of Gastonia, when the OP asked. There is acreage there. How much time have you spent in SE Gastonia, anyway? I suspect none. There are millionaires who live there. Been to Gaston Mall recently? The only difference between that & the rest of the shopping in Gastonia when compared to Charlotte is less traffic.
Ah, you suspect wrong, although I do avoid Gastonia at all costs. Unfortunately, I have a very good friend who lives there and it's not fair for her to come to my side of town all the time. I know how much you love to promote Kings Mountain and Gastonia, and for some people moving here it might be just what they want, but for someone moving from Orange county, CA, it would be like moving into Deliverance. (Disclaimer - if they grew up here or have family in the area, it might not be such a culture shock)

OP, do a google image search and you'll be able to see the difference. Better yet, come visit and see for yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 04:53 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,716,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Ah, you suspect wrong, although I do avoid Gastonia at all costs. Unfortunately, I have a very good friend who lives there and it's not fair for her to come to my side of town all the time. I know how much you love to promote Kings Mountain and Gastonia, and for some people moving here it might be just what they want, but for someone moving from Orange county, CA, it would be like moving into Deliverance. (Disclaimer - if they grew up here or have family in the area, it might not be such a culture shock)

OP, do a google image search and you'll be able to see the difference. Better yet, come visit and see for yourself!
First, I have been to Orange County. I've also been to Raburn County GA. Deliverance? Hardly.

There is nothing gritty about Franklin Square. I've seen gritty & that's not it. Gaston Mall has been rebuilt (except Mary Jo's) & when the new Target is finished the whole project will be done. It's 99% brand new. Nothing gritty there, either. Northridge Eastridge looks like every other mall in this country.

I posted on this thread because the OP asked about equestrian areas. I know that there's something around here, but it's not my thing. I prefer to spend time at the art society. I specifically asked about airport useage & if it was not necessary would have posted a thread from last year where locations in Union County were discussed.

You like to trash Gastonia & take every opportunity to do so. I don't trash where you live. We are not supposed to do that. I'm done with this thread. Go ahead & have at it.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:08 PM

700 posts, read 1,647,450 times
I would do the live at Lake Norman. Try this site. HorseClicks - Horses for Sale - FREE Classified Ads At least you can look for your place to live then see what is around. Charlotte is made up of a lot of different places. Many are ok with pockets of the hood. Then you have the hood. Iredell County is not spoken of much. But you want land your your ponies? That's the way to go. And you still can go and leave Charlotte.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:53 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,139,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You like to trash Gastonia & take every opportunity to do so. I don't trash where you live. We are not supposed to do that.
Links, please? Other than the thread on the front page of the Charlotte board asking the most redneck area in Charlotte, where you also mentioned Gastonia. Trust me, I usually hold my tongue when Gastonia is mentioned. In this case, I thought it wasn't worth holding. Aside from my parents, my entire family is in California and I know the difference. Maybe the OP can report back her own opinion when she visits.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:29 PM

79 posts, read 280,445 times
Thumbs up Union County

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
You don't want to move from Orange county to Gastonia. Look at Union county instead. There are lots of horse farms there and the public schools are excellent. You'll be surrounded by high dollar homes and new development, not rednecks and gritty strip malls. The only obstacle in Union county is that you'll be on the complete opposite side of the metro from the airport.
I second Union County, which is were I currently live. There are quite a few horse farms in the area and I would research - Waxhaw, Weddington, Marvin, Mineral Springs and perhaps Monroe.

Each of those communties is about 40 minutes to the airport and about 30 minutes to uptown depending on the time of day. It is really beautiful and somewhat rural out in this area too.

Good luck on your search!

Old 08-18-2011, 11:16 PM

23 posts, read 34,632 times
Thank you guys! I did drive through Gastonia on the way to and from Greenville,SC......it is a little too small and country for what we are looking for. The area of Union County looks promising based on what I have heard and researched so far. I hope to make a trip back this fall to see more !

Old 08-19-2011, 01:02 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,527,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatingToNC2012 View Post
Thank you guys! I did drive through Gastonia on the way to and from Greenville,SC......it is a little too small and country for what we are looking for. The area of Union County looks promising based on what I have heard and researched so far. I hope to make a trip back this fall to see more !

You do realize that Union county is just as "country" as Gastonia and no "larger" in size?

Old 09-09-2011, 01:20 AM

23 posts, read 34,632 times
No. I did not realize that....since I only drove through Gastonia and have never been to Union County. How would I possible know that?

Old 09-09-2011, 05:09 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,354,943 times
Following the reading of this thread , I'd suggest you set your sights elsewhere , another state. I know you two have an affinity for this state , but there is nothing around here that suits your exacting tastes , it's either/or. Equestrian areas here are out in areas where alot of rurality exists. Aside from a few places , everything around the outskirts is basically rural , with exception to maybe the aforementioned Union , and possibly areas of western Cabarrus , which , as mentioned prior , will place you all quite distant from CLT Douglas. No intention to 'burst your bubble' , so to speak , but many developments , while geared toward 'families' , are of like design , and thus suburbia. Not suburbia , as in OC , but suburbia as in stale , wannabe upscale , facades imitating everywhere else on Earth that is classed as 'New Victorian' , 'Italian Villa' , 'Hip' , or some other cheesy style that is proliferated throught the metro. You may have/have not noticed , but everything in alot of 'communities' here falls under 'jurisdiction' of HOA's , or some other fools with too much time on their hands attempting to tout their 'dystopic ideals' upon the residents in lieu of abuse of 'power'. My suggestion for you all would be Philadelphia , Vermont , N.Hampshire , or Texas. Anywhere other than here. I do not know what your take on the areas you visited were , aside from disdain for Gaston , but demand for your specifics does not exist here without a choice of 2 'poisons' , suburbia in close proximity to the city , or Gondwanaland. Apologies if I tread upon your dreams. Maybe in 50 , or 100 years , longevity willing , it may exist , but for now , it's all a shallow , empty farce of true neighborhoods.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:19 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,663,797 times
Wow... this thread sums up city-data/charlotte.

Flame wars followed by a sarcastic response to the OP followed by a "don't move here"

The only info I can give you is to ignore everything you just read on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte