Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 01:07 PM

11,839 posts, read 29,109,462 times

Advertisements

Some children should be left behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 01:19 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,305,553 times
In the far off future, they will look back at the current state of people in the USA, people who have every advantage compared to the rest of the world, and wonder how it was possible that we regressed to a primitive society as quickly as we did. I believe it will be known as de-evolution.

We devolved.

Starting today, the USA will be shutting down Nasa's Mission Control Center which sent men to the Moon 40+ years ago and laying off anyone who is educated enough to run it. In its place we are educating people to collect carts at Walmart, promoting Hedge Funds that bet against the USA (Bev Perdue was here yesterday to give taxpayers money to another of these scams), and building weapons that terrify the rest of the world. The USA is known for nothing else now.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:45 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,584,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I do not agree that this is just a ploy - The No child Left Behind law REQUIRES that they report this info yearly - in every state and every district.

That whole "no child left behind" is useless.....

Old 07-21-2011, 01:46 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,584,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
In the far off future, they will look back at the current state of people in the USA, people who have every advantage compared to the rest of the world, and wonder how it was possible that we regressed to a primitive society as quickly as we did. I believe it will be known as de-evolution.

We devolved.

Starting today, the USA will be shutting down Nasa's Mission Control Center which sent men to the Moon 40+ years ago and laying off anyone who is educated enough to run it. In its place we are educating people to collect carts at Walmart, promoting Hedge Funds that bet against the USA (Bev Perdue was here yesterday to give taxpayers money to another of these scams), and building weapons that terrify the rest of the world. The USA is known for nothing else now.

This should be post of the year on CD!

Old 07-21-2011, 04:58 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,927,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I think that Cleveland County did worse, but 51% of schools passed. The 3 elementaries in town, in Kings Mountain, passed, as did the high school. Bethware Elementary, which is out in the township failed, as did the intermediate & middle schools.

The Shelby Star hasn't posted a story on it yet, so I got the information from the school district's website. Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) Reports for 2010 - 2011 | Cleveland County Schools
The Shelby Star published the Cleveland County results + Thomas Jefferson Classical Academy in Rutherford County. The Gaston Gazette published the Gaston County results. Since Kings Mountain is in both Counties, I'll post both.

There is information in these articles on how the schools pass. If your school failed, you have to look at the data to see if it's a dismal failure or a near miss. Passing is an all or nothing proposition.

Is 'No Child Left Behind' leaving too many behind? (See how your school fared) - Less than half of county schools reach yearly goals - The Star Online : The Newspaper of Cleveland County (http://www.shelbystar.com/news/behind-56845-goals-yearly.html - broken link)

Mixed results for Gaston County Schools; check out how your school did | percent, scores, students - Gaston Gazette (http://www.gastongazette.com/news/percent-59290-scores-students.html - broken link)

Old 07-21-2011, 05:45 PM

830 posts, read 1,537,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And a quote from that same report:

Gorman also noted that the gains had taken place against a backdrop of diminishing resources and staff. CMS cut $34 million in local funding from its 2008-2009 budget – the largest local-funding cut in the state – and the cuts eliminated 237 teacher-level positions.

One year, the diminishing resources didn't matter. Next year, the diminishing resources are the reason for lowered scores.

Kids who excel WANT to excel.
How is this saying that diminishing resources last year didn't matter?

Old 07-21-2011, 06:03 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,305,553 times
That report is disingenuous. (lie) Gorman said that "local funding" was cut. He didn't say total funding was cut. Much of that was made up from money from other sources.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:40 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,825,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
How is this saying that diminishing resources last year didn't matter?
I didn't say that it did.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:10 PM

364 posts, read 1,172,516 times
I just spent some time in Turkey, specifically Istanbul. I was amazed at the dedication both parents and students have to their studies. Teachers are regarded highly, but ultimately it is the student's responsibility to learn. If a child is struggling the parents work them at home or get tutoring (and this is not just wealthy parents). Parents look for the advice from teachers rather than blaming the teachers. Many students go to school or have private tutoring on the weekends and the child is the one motivated to learn. Yes, much of this is based on their intensive test-based education system (not one I agree with). Schooling is free (including university), but competition is fierce! They have schools for kids who score high on math/science to help them fully develop their skills and intelligence-these are the kids in the US getting left behind with No Child Left Behind as teachers are pressured to make the lower ones rise up- in doing so the higher ones are not challenged to surpass their ability. The kids in Istanbul know that education is the way to get really good jobs so they work really hard to get the scores to go to these specialized schools-THEY want it/desire it- so they work for it! It really reminded me of the 1950's here-push to succeed, not a low base for acceptable and passing. I am not saying that it is right to just leave kids without knowing basic reading, writing, and math- but the more legislation that is passed, the more pressure on teachers, the more "resources" provided- it seems that the quality gets less and less! I have friends who teach at the University level and I don't understand how we can justify giving diplomas to students who cannot write a paragraph! In our hope to see on paper that our kids are doing well, we are missing the point that in reality the bar has gotten lowered significantly! On the other side, one standardized test is hardly enough "proof" to show a teacher is good and that a child has learned. It is the same with doctors- they can use good practices and tell an overweight patient to stop smoking , exercise more, and eat a more healthy diet. If the patient gets a disease or complications- the doctor is not scolded nor does it reflect poorly on him. He used good practices that the patient refused to follow- how can he be held responsible?! If a teacher tell a parent these are things I suggest to help him and they don't do it and the child doesn't do the work- how can we hold teachers and schools responsible for this? Overall, it is a societal issue of values rather than issues with teachers and schools.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:40 AM

830 posts, read 1,537,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And a quote from that same report:

Gorman also noted that the gains had taken place against a backdrop of diminishing resources and staff. CMS cut $34 million in local funding from its 2008-2009 budget – the largest local-funding cut in the state – and the cuts eliminated 237 teacher-level positions.
One year, the diminishing resources didn't matter. Next year, the diminishing resources are the reason for lowered scores.

Kids who excel WANT to excel.
Seems pretty clear to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte