Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 AM

2,747 posts, read 465,500 times

Advertisements

I live in northern WI and the job situation is grim. Looking mostly for office position or light factory work. How is the employment situation down there? Also, how hot do your summers get? I'd like to leave the below 0, during the winter behind, but don't function well if it's always in the 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 09:43 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,023,828 times
Sorry to say, but it looks grim on both fronts. Our unemployment is high and the competition for jobs is fierce. Hard to say what you'll find in light production or office admin, but it will be a tough go to find an open position.

As for summer... not looking good at all. We had 90's from June-September, and July/August were high 90's; this year it was reported more than 90 consecutive days in the 90's this summer, and the temps didn't let down until about the end of Sept. It is a hot, sticky, humid summer down here. You might have better temps towards the mountains, but Charlotte is hot and sticky for most of the summer months.

I would suggest, for temps, to look in the lower part of the Midwest. Places like OH, IN, KY, TN, even IA will all have milder winters. I grew up in mid-Michigan and found it very surprising that just a few hours south into Ohio made the winter much easier to deal with. As for jobs, keep your spectrum open to the whole US.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:00 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,363,000 times
You would love the winters here, and honestly you'd get used to the summers as well. There always seems to be a tradeoff in terms of weather: some extremes somewhere.

The job situation is a whole other ballpark. Not looking too good anywhere, but there are people getting jobs all over the country, just not a quickly as before.

I would encourage you to look for jobs here, but also keep in mind other milder areas of the country.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:24 AM

80 posts, read 239,083 times
This summer was the worst I've seen since we moved here in 2002. The previous summer was very pleasant and mild so I think it just changes year by year. The NE had a horrible summer as well this year so I wouldn't let that stop you from coming. We have wonderful falls, springs, and winter..summer can be a bit hot but the mountains are always nice and cool and it's just a 2 hour trip away.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:52 PM

2,747 posts, read 465,500 times
Thanks for all the input you guys are giving. I know jobs are grim all over, but in my town we haven't had an opening for probably two months. Oh, I forgot the grocery store is looking for a meat manager. No qualifications for that. I think it would be nice having the mountains that close, too. Do you have a lot of bugs? Mosquitoes and wood ticks?

Old 10-26-2010, 06:44 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,174,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
You would love the winters here, and honestly you'd get used to the summers as well. There always seems to be a tradeoff in terms of weather: some extremes somewhere.

The job situation is a whole other ballpark. Not looking too good anywhere, but there are people getting jobs all over the country, just not a quickly as before.

I would encourage you to look for jobs here, but also keep in mind other milder areas of the country.
HAhahaha...you NEVER ever get used to the summers here... don't let these guys fool you. ...Native Son this is not a new thread so I'm good!

Old 10-26-2010, 08:15 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,023,828 times
Bugs - compared to the upper Midwest, the bugs are considerably more of a nuisance. They are out early, get bigger, live longer and don't really die out. I think I noticed about 2 months of dormancy this past winter before the skeeters were coming back out. The skeeters aren't what bothers me.. its the roaches, fire ants and spiders that get to me. I've seen more roaches out and about outside here than anywhere I've been, and the high population of poisonous spiders requires one to be more aware of their surroundings on a daily basis. To give an accurate idea of my surroundings, I live within Charlotte city limits, but I'm in a less populated area and share 2 property lines with wooded lots - so I may see more bugs than average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte