Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 08:06 AM

63 posts, read 431,632 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting Charlotte in July for the first time and am wondering if visiting Lake Norman is worth a day trip. I don't want to get into the battle over the LKN Video being tasteful or not.

I will say that I don't own a boat so I'm wondering is the Lake still a good idea for a day trip? Is it like a beach where people go swimming or if you don't own a boat is there not much to do?

Can you rent Waverunners kyacks or canoes? Can you bring beach chairs and hang out in the sand overlooking the lake? Is their sand?

Since it's myself and my buddy going (early 30's) the idea of a bar (Rusty Rudder or Double Doors) seemed like a fun thing to do at night after a day at the Lake but I don't think I would go there strictly for a drink if the Lake didn't serve a purpose during the day.

Any info. is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 08:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
there is no wading in mecklenburg county.
there is a state park on the iredell county side of lake norman Lake norman state park limited swimming area. Jetton park is great place to look at the lake but they charge you an admission and even though it lots of trails I do not see purpose of paying to enter the park over any other free parks and I thought parks are part of tax dollars as it is.

I think there paddle boat or canoe rentals at the Lake norman park also if you google jetski boat rental on lake norman you will get a list of options.
there is only one canoe access at lake norman state park

there is two access points on mountain island lake and it better safer lake to kayak and canoe

Old 07-01-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
there is no wading in mecklenburg county.
there is a state park on the iredell county side of lake norman Lake norman state park limited swimming area. Jetton park is great place to look at the lake but they charge you an admission and even though it lots of trails I do not see purpose of paying to enter the park over any other free parks and I thought parks are part of tax dollars as it is.

I think there paddle boat or canoe rentals at the Lake norman park also if you google jetski boat rental on lake norman you will get a list of options.
there is only one canoe access at lake norman state park

there is two access points on mountain island lake and it better safer lake to kayak and canoe
Thanks, I found a previous link and it looks like there are some rental places
Lake Norman Jet Ski Sales, Rentals, Service, Parts and Pontoon Rentals and I also found a link for Queens Landing, the Dueling Piano Bar looks like it could be fun after a day on the lake.
Splash

Old 07-01-2007, 09:23 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Mumbles View Post
Thanks, I found a previous link and it looks like there are some rental places
Lake Norman Jet Ski Sales, Rentals, Service, Parts and Pontoon Rentals and I also found a link for Queens Landing, the Dueling Piano Bar looks like it could be fun after a day on the lake.
Splash
Those links are exactly what I was going to post for you. During the day, it is fun to grab some lunch overlooking the lake at the Rusty Rudderor Midtown Sundries. In addition, there are bike rentals at Jetton Park. I think LKN is a nice daytrip area.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Those links are exactly what I was going to post for you. During the day, it is fun to grab some lunch overlooking the lake at the Rusty Rudderor Midtown Sundries. In addition, there are bike rentals at Jetton Park. I think LKN is a nice daytrip area.
Not being from the area can you tell me is Jetton Park part of one particular section of the Lake? It seems like its broken up into different counties so i want to make sure i find it ok

Old 07-01-2007, 10:00 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,113 times
Sure-- Jetton Park is in Cornelius so it is on the Mecklenburg County side of the lake. Basically, from Charlotte take exit 28 off of I-77-- take a left off the exit ramp onto Catawba Ave. Follow for about a mile. Take a right on Jetton Rd. The park entrance will be on the left.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:01 AM

directions to jetton park Near cornelius south part of the lake
Here is lake norman state park north side of the lake in troutman nears mooresville
Division of Parks and Recreation--Lake Norman State Park, Directions (http://ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/lano/directions.html - broken link)

Old 07-01-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
directions to jetton park Near cornelius south part of the lake
Here is lake norman state park north side of the lake in troutman nears mooresville
Division of Parks and Recreation--Lake Norman State Park, Directions (http://ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/lano/directions.html - broken link)
Thankyou both for your help. Sunny Kayak......I was wondering if the name fits and if you do indeed love Kayaking and if so if you have ever been to this new Whitewater Rafting Center in Charlotte? It looks like fun, I'm a novice though. I went kayaking and white water rafting 1x each.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:51 AM

between kmway sheena and me we are the lake ambassodors lol

I love kayaking but my kayak is for light strolls not intense kayaking. I have inflatable two person kayak for it easy to load and unload plus the head rest and drink holder are a plus too lol strap down my portable cooler on the back and relax for a few hours. We often will just kayak to a cove and lay in the sun take a swim and enjoy the lake. I tried launching at lake norman at blythe landing but was warned by ranger not to do that again this when I learn about no wading rule in order to lauch the kayak you have to wade so I use mountain lake canoe access points now. Historic Latta Plantation - Directions (http://www.lattaplantation.org/visit/directions.shtml - broken link)

I have not check out the whitewater center and that isnt a bad idea of something for me to do on July 3rd. I love whitewater riding my favorite is the new river gorge and going under the new river gorge bridge in wva.
If I go to whitewater center Im doing the big boat, I am scared about flipping over in a kayak.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,048 times
Default Kayak Rental

Do you know of any places that RENT kayaks on Lake Norman???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte