Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 10:31 PM

8 posts, read 90,998 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me how these two differ?

Is one nicer than the other?
Is one more active?
Better Schools?
Less Crowded?
Etc?

Thanks for your help. We are trying to decide which one to live by.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 10:56 PM

297 posts, read 1,141,376 times
Norman is the largest lake in the area and part of the Catawba river. Wylie is two lakes to the south. Both have nuclear reactors and coal power plants. I would not swim in either lake especially those further to the south. The lake Wylie area is pretty well built out. The norman area still has rural areas. School wise Lake wyile is very crowded not sure about Norman. Schools in general are not that great but others will argue different. I think only you can decide which is more attractive as you have specific needs. I think the Norman area is nice on the water if you can afford it but there are a ton of red necks and wanta be race car drivers in that area. If you move there buy a large vehicle so no one will mess with you.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:59 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2 View Post

Is one more active?
Better Schools?
Less Crowded?
Etc?

Lake Wylie is in Tega Cay SC for what I hear from people on this forum the schools are very good. They seem to be happy with them. Lake Wylie is a fraction of the size of Lake Norman though.

I think both Lakes are pretty active.

Lake Norman encompasses several towns, Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson,Mooresville, Denver it may go farther North to Troutman I'm not sure.

I've heard people are happy with the Lincoln county schools which would be Denver. Mooresville has good schools that would be Iredell county schools. Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson are in Meckenberg County and some folks have differing opinions on the schools.

As far as less crowded I think they are both crowded except I hear the west side of Lake Norman is much more quieter and rural compared to the east side of the lake.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:58 AM

174 posts, read 732,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2 View Post

Is one more active?
Better Schools?
Less Crowded?
Etc?

Lake Norman is a much, much larger lake than Wylie with much more area for growth. The commute from Lake Norman to Charlotte is notorious...I have sat in traffic on I77 just a couple of times and I truly am thankful that I dont have to deal with that traffic on a daily basis. My drive from Lake Wylie to UNC Charlotte, believe it or not, takes me 30-35 minutes on a daily basis which is very good given the distance to north Charlotte. Lake Norman is probably more noted for "partying" on the sandbars, etc....this can be seen on any Saturday from I77. I cannot really speak about the school districts on Norman but you have some very good/excellent schools on the York County side of Wylie. I'm definately partial to my community, check it out if you get a chance, www.mysunsetpoint.com.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:03 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,834,554 times
Not sure where you were coming from but I can be to Arrowood road from Birkdale in 30mins during rush hour. I just did this last week.

Lake Norman just has more things to do on the lake and offers more sponsored events. Not all of us go out there to "party". The majority take our families out for a relaxed day on the water.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:04 AM

14 posts, read 82,443 times
I would like to say that all of the three large lakes in Mecklenburg County are safe to swim in. The Mecklenburg county water quality program performs monthly water quality sampling at 25 sites on each of the lakes during the summer and every other month in the winter. If conditions are present that could harm swimmers a no swim advisory will be issued. Please see this website for more information.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/StormWater/Lakes/What%27s+the+WQ+of+Meck.+Co.+Lakes%3f.htm (broken link)

Generally Lake Wyllie has the worst water quality of the three lakes since most of Charlotte drains to it, and due to its large size and location Lake Norman has the best. I still would not drink the water straight from any of the lakes or swim near a waste water treatment plant or nuclear power plant though.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Not sure where you were coming from but I can be to Arrowood road from Birkdale in 30mins during rush hour. I just did this last week.

Lake Norman just has more things to do on the lake and offers more sponsored events. Not all of us go out there to "party". The majority take our families out for a relaxed day on the water.
I would say you were very luck as I travel uptown quite frequently and at rush hour from center city (277) it takes on average 30 minutes with normal traffic and no wrecks.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Lake Wylie is in Tega Cay SC for what I hear from people on this forum the schools are very good. They seem to be happy with them. Lake Wylie is a fraction of the size of Lake Norman though.

I think both Lakes are pretty active.

Lake Norman encompasses several towns, Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson,Mooresville, Denver it may go farther North to Troutman I'm not sure.

I've heard people are happy with the Lincoln county schools which would be Denver. Mooresville has good schools that would be Iredell county schools. Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson are in Meckenberg County and some folks have differing opinions on the schools.

As far as less crowded I think they are both crowded except I hear the west side of Lake Norman is much more quieter and rural compared to the east side of the lake.
Actually Tega Cay is a community on Lake Wylie. Lake Wylie is approximately twelve miles long give or take a few. There are many communities on or near the lake. Lake Wylie School is actually in the Steele Creek community which is in NC. About the lake there pollution is high in the lakes from run off, sewage discharges, boats and other sources. The fish in the lakes have SORES especially in lake Wylie. I would not swim in the lakes.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:09 PM

286 posts, read 946,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
Norman is the largest lake in the area and part of the Catawba river. Wylie is two lakes to the south. Both have nuclear reactors and coal power plants. I would not swim in either lake especially those further to the south. The lake Wylie area is pretty well built out. The norman area still has rural areas. School wise Lake wyile is very crowded not sure about Norman. Schools in general are not that great but others will argue different. I think only you can decide which is more attractive as you have specific needs. I think the Norman area is nice on the water if you can afford it but there are a ton of red necks and wanta be race car drivers in that area. If you move there buy a large vehicle so no one will mess with you.
Hey Duke

just wondeing if you could explian to me what a "REDNECK" is?

Old 05-08-2007, 06:42 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
I would be happy to tell you xray - only the true definition would mean something entirely different than what was previously implied.

Rednecks are some of the best, hardest working, most down to earth people you will ever meet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte