Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 12:02 PM

16 posts, read 28,808 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I have been doing a lot of research and trying to find old threads that may provide the information I am looking for with nothing specific coming up so I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered already. We (my husband, 3 kids - 8,7 &2... all boys and me) are considering relocation and Lake Norman/Lake Wylie is at the top of our list. We currently live in a small lake community in MD and think that the areas we are targeting would be a great fit for our lifestyle. Commute is not an issue and I have come to realize that school 'ratings' don't always live up to the hype so unless a specific school has a terrible reputation I think that most of the areas we are looking at have decent 'grades'.

I work from home and my husband is a stay at home dad - we are hoping to be in the 250k price point. I wanted to know which neighborhoods provided lake access. Also, if we were to live outside of a planned neighborhood or lake access neighborhood - is there an area that is best for people who will likely spend a lot of time at the lake, possibly wiht a boat, etc.? Lower taxes are always a plus. We have heard that Fort Mill and Tega Cay in SC are great areas and I heard that Denver, Sherrill’s Ford are great, too. Mooresville keeps coming up also. If anyone knows what neighborhoods have lake access that might be a great start.

Where we live now we meet regularly at the lake with our neighbors and it has been a great way to meet people. I have seen that there is a park in Troutman that has a 'beach' - is there an area where people may meet or a place to dock a boat and let the kids run around? We spend a lot of time on the water and dock our boat at the 'beach' where the kids run and swim. I just want to have a better idea of the set up at Lake Norman. It is much larger so I know there will be many more options and differences - I just wanted to know if it was a good place to meet new people, etc.

We have visited the area once and plan on doing so again before making any decisions - just looking for some guidance so that we can target our trip when we go back.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 10:06 PM
ckw

9 posts, read 16,094 times
Tega Cay and Ft. Mill are also good areas. Moved from that area 9 years ago.

It's, if you want to be on a Lake, called Lake Wilye.
If you go that far south, make sure you make it over the boarder.

Boarder, being the SC line.
Tax (property rates, drop)

Look, let me simplify. Go to a map.
If it's in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina..........run.

Denver NC = Lincoln County
Tega Cay, Ft. Mill = York County, South Carolina.
Sherrill’s Ford, and Mooresvile = Iredell County, N.C.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:51 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckw View Post
Sherrill’s Ford, and Mooresvile = Iredell County, N.C.
I am pretty sure that Sherrill's Ford is in Catawba county.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:44 AM

Those were the areas I was already focused on for the reasons you stated - I was wondering about specific neighborhoods that might have lake access.

Thank you.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Default Lake access communities in Mooresville

In the city- so city taxes but Iredell county schools
Wyndham Shores and the SD on the other side of Oaktree-that's where the boat ramp is and there are some docks too.Also pools and boat storage area.
Winslow Bay-Pool with life guard, not sure water at the access point is brilliant-also has some docks and boat storage area.
Harbor Cove- as above.

Outside the city-still Iredell County school system
Bottom half of Canvasback Rd and some of the SDs off it on the left share a boat ramp and maybe day dock right at the bottom of Canvasback.

I think some homes on Crystal Circle -same area- share a Lake Access lot

Some of the older SDs off Stutts Rd- I would suggest Commodore Loop and then the part after Stutts marina where the road bends round to the right.
Sorry- often not easy to know who has the Lake access and who doesn't!There are so many small SDs in the more established areas I don't know all the names.
This is a bit of a mix up type area, so might not appeal. My parents have a home off Stutts in a cul de sac- a very modest house and they're only here 6 months of the year and we've not had any problems. Neighbors are good too.Many of these homes will have bigger lots.

Off Langtree Rd
Still Iredell schools
Bridgeport and Waterside Landing-
Bridgeport has smaller lots than Waterside Landing, but would say that the Lake access area has better water, they have Tennis courts and the pool is better.

There may also be others off Langtree-again older smalller SDs.

Try SDs off Templeton Rd- but might be above your price point.

Last edited by Whatsthenews; 07-21-2011 at 10:59 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 11:39 AM

whatsthenews - thank you VERY much - this is so helpful!

Old 02-10-2015, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,193 times
If you are looking for a house and property ON the lakes you can forget it. I remember when lots on Lake Wylie sold for $3500.00 (1972), now you can hardly find an empty lot on either lake for under a quarter of a million $. That is a lot with any significant view and water frontage.....Anvlhed.....

Old 02-10-2015, 12:40 PM

193 posts, read 495,560 times
Agree with above poster: Mooresville neighborhoods-Bridgeport,Pinnacle Shores and Harbor Cove, Surfside Estates, Commodore Pennisula and Norman Woods would be good starting points near your price range. Harbor Cove is a very convenient location and lots of children, close to good schools.
Morrison Plantation will sometimes have a home that falls into this price range, and has lake access.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:48 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Since this thread has been resurrected, I'll add that anyone not from the area really needs to understand that Lake Norman and Lake Wylie are like two different worlds. Norman has restaurants on the water and plentiful boat storage, wet and dry. There may be a waiting list, but it usually doesn't take too long to get in.

Lake Wylie has one option on the water to eat; T-Bones. There are only a handful of marinas and they, too, have waiting lists. Lake Wylie has a more blue-collar feel and atmosphere compared to Norman. Public boat access is a little less on Wylie, mainly because of size.

If anyone is blindly considering either lake, I strongly urge you to come to town and ride around. You may find one area suitable based on an image you form based on reading posts only to arrive and be totally turned off. Both areas have their upsides and down.

As a somewhat general rule, Wylie is cheaper everywhere except waterfront. Lots of Wylie waterfront is on par with Norman and the views aren't nearly as nice since Wylie is maybe 1/4 as wide as Norman at its widest point.

The point here is anyone considering either area needs to actually put eyes on it, not go based on MLS photos and message board posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte