Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:21 PM

187 posts, read 491,801 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to Mooresville or Hunterville

How do these areas compare?

What do you love about the area; what drives you crazy?

Are the schools any good?

Are there neighborhoods where you can bike to an ice cream shop or coffee shop?

Can I walk to school with the kids?

What's the traffic like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:53 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,351,397 times
I don't live up there , but I can attest to the fact that on weekends , Friday nights , and rush hour the traffic can make you sweat blood. Other than that , they are nice areas. Regarding walking to school , your best bet for that would be Gilead Road in Huntersville. When I was younger , I went to the elementary school there. There were houses all around the area then , so there should be good walkability. However , outside of that immediate area , you'll definitely need a car.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:54 AM

249 posts, read 458,120 times
i live in 28031 so i am sandwiched between them. Both suburbs have alot of pros to live there. Traffic is brutal in both suburbs. There has been a TON of migration from people from Ohio, NY and PA. I am beginning to wonder how the people in those states find out about these two little towns. Huntersville has Birkdale and also is closer to charlotte so that might be a plus or minus for you. You would have to check them both out and go with your gut feeling IMO

Old 07-07-2010, 06:11 AM

Thanks for your reply. I will check out Birkdale.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:14 AM

We live in a suburb of DC right now and many people commute in for up to 90 min. one way. I'm trying to picture if this is the case in Charlotte. Is there a metro? If so, how far up does it go? Thank you so much for your help!

Old 07-07-2010, 07:12 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,681 times
If your husband works in Mooresville and you live in Huntersville he will be going to the opposite way of traffic. Should be 15-20 minutes tops.

Its only 6 hour drive from DC. You guys should come down for a weekend and check everything out.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:16 AM

We are leaving on a planned visit to Chicago tomorrow so research has to be online at this point. So yes, the plan is to get down there early August. We thank anyone who can help us to picture this area until we can get there.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:26 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy4kids View Post
We live in a suburb of DC right now and many people commute in for up to 90 min. one way. I'm trying to picture if this is the case in Charlotte. Is there a metro? If so, how far up does it go? Thank you so much for your help!
Where will your jobs be? That will determine your commute time. There isn't a metro here. We have a light rail line that currently runs into uptown from the south. There are free park and ridesfrom different places into uptown.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:51 AM

His job would be in Huntersville/Mooresville. We love taking the metro into DC with the kids even though we live aways out. We love the city but prefer the suburbs for raising our kids.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:18 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
Both areas are extremely congested for even "in town" driving during rush hours and peaks times on the weekends. Neither area would be considered "walkable" and I wouldn't recommend Birkdale for someone with young kids.

If schools are important then you need to consider that Iredell county (Mooresville) and Meck county (Huntersville) are quite different. Most folks I've met from Huntersville send their kids to private High School. I suggest that you lok at the HS for comparisons.

You need to help us out with what your budget is and a little more of your requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte