Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:19 AM

12 posts, read 46,516 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm sure this question has been asked b4, but I am considering a move from Long Island with a 14 yr. old, entering 10th grade in September, and 2 infants (twins) along w/husband and dog. I have already visited Huntersville and loved it, however I am not 100% happy with what I heard about the High Schools. I can't for the life of me figure out how the taxes are lower in Concord, but the schools are better?? Can someone please explain -- or tell me if the schools are not better, I'm just going off of what I have read.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 10:20 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,838,087 times
N.Meck (Huntersville) was rated in the top 100 in the Nation!

Old 05-14-2007, 10:25 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,916,085 times
I went to HS in Concord and we picked that area because we felt the schools were indeed better. While N Meck is good academically and in sports, I have a family member who teaches there. He experiences a lot of behavioral issues with the kids and they certainly in recent years have had several incidents for which police had to be called to campus. He has been cussed at, spit at and shoved by students. He can't physically restrain them when he has been shoved or HE gets in trouble! And when parents are called in, they defend their kids' behavior. A few bad apples....plus, it is severely overcrowded. That being said, there are great kids there, one of which I met at an awards ceremony last month who was accepted at Harvard. Of course, we had a grad in my class in Concord that also went to Harvard, and several others went to Duke and other great schools. All in all, because of the bad apples that take up time and attention and because of overcrowding, while I love Huntersville I personally would not want my kids to go there. (Sorry Char. Agent, I still love ya).

Old 05-14-2007, 10:40 AM

509 posts, read 1,803,837 times
There is supposedly a new high school in the works for Huntersville... but I don't know exactly what's in the works there. I don't think it would be done in time for your 14 year old, and I have heard enough about North Meck to say that if the situation doesn't change we'll either move or go private ... but we are about 12 years away from having to deal with high school in our household!

GT

Old 05-14-2007, 10:55 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,838,087 times
Mallard Creek High School is supposed to open at the beginning of the school year and this will pull a good number form N.Meck so the over-crowding issue should be a little better.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:47 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,961,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Mallard Creek High School is supposed to open at the beginning of the school year and this will pull a good number form N.Meck so the over-crowding issue should be a little better.

Good maybe they will get rid of the bad apples when they school opens.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:17 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,910,283 times
Cabarrus taxes are lower, the drive into Charlotte is a little better, and the school system is excellent (my wife teaches here).

Old 05-14-2007, 03:26 PM

254 posts, read 1,058,361 times
North Meck is going from 69 trailers next year to 30 so still over crowded but not as bad...from what I have heard many of the *bad apples* live in the area that will go to the new school ( I hope the person who went to Concord had more than 1 person go to an Ivy league school in their grade..that is really low)

Old 05-14-2007, 03:59 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,916,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkat View Post
( I hope the person who went to Concord had more than 1 person go to an Ivy league school in their grade..that is really low)

Old 05-14-2007, 04:28 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,961,357 times
[quote=sheena;715482]Good maybe they will get rid of the bad apples when that school opens.........................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte