Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 05:58 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,883,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
The I-79 Tech Corridor is spread over a large area. Of course there will be more going on there than in one city. The best thing on the I-79 corridor is the research park just south of fairmont ~400 acres. WV Reg tech park has about ~650 acres and growing very fast. There is certainly a lot of growth going on along I-79 but it will have to catch up to what has been going on along I-64 for years, and at the rate I-79 is going I'm sure it will give the it a run for it's money.

I'm sorry but "small" is just inaccurate. I will say that growth along I-79, and mainly Morgantown, is better than anywhere else in the state. Not up to par yet though. Getting there
Acres are irrelevant. A few acres in silicon valley has more tech than the rest of the country.

The big tech corridor is in NCWV. I'm not putting down Charleston. They have fine tech but it isn't as big as NCWV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 08:09 AM

941 posts, read 1,358,367 times
... ...

Old 03-11-2013, 11:22 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
I mention Power Park in Charleston to anyone looking to move there. It's a great minor league park. They also have quite a few things going on outside of baseball. They have 4-5 concerts a summer (not big name acts but all the same).

The Clay Center is just around the corner from it. We've drove down for a couple of the acts they have had there. I'm sure we would catch more if we were local.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:04 PM

119 posts, read 337,463 times
Thanks for all of the info everyone. I still won't hear for a bit if I received the job but sounds like a nice place to me. Every city has the good with the bad so, just have to find the true beauty in it instead of just sit at home all day.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubled8206 View Post
Thanks for all of the info everyone. I still won't hear for a bit if I received the job but sounds like a nice place to me. Every city has the good with the bad so, just have to find the true beauty in it instead of just sit at home all day.
Do you like outdoor activities? Make some friends and so them.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:58 PM

119 posts, read 337,463 times
Yeah, I am pretty much game for anything.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:27 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,620,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
79 is West Virginia's Tech Corridor.

What are the names of all of these tech companies in West Virginia's 'tech corridor?' I know that has been a designation that the Clarksburg area has used ever since the FBI fingerprinting facility set up shop there in the 1990s (it used to be called 'Software Valley') but I am not aware of any large scale technology operations in the area. I'll admit it probably has the highest concentration in West Virginia but that isn't saying much..

Old 03-11-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
What are the names of all of these tech companies in West Virginia's 'tech corridor?' I know that has been a designation that the Clarksburg area has used ever since the FBI fingerprinting facility set up shop there in the 1990s (it used to be called 'Software Valley') but I am not aware of any large scale technology operations in the area. I'll admit it probably has the highest concentration in West Virginia but that isn't saying much..
It is not. I live in the DC area and there is hundreds of such places, and DC is not even the biggest in the NE.

NASA and Accenture are also located there.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:33 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,830,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
What are the names of all of these tech companies in West Virginia's 'tech corridor?' .
Quote:
Aerospace companies currently located in the I-79 Corridor include the following:

Pratt & Whitney Engine Services
Bombardier Aerospace
Lockheed Martin Aeronautical Systems
Aurora Flight Sciences Aurora.
KCI Aviation KCI.
FCX Systems FCX.
Engine and Airframe Solutions Worldwide EASW.
FMW Composite Systems FMW.
Google is your friend.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:00 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,057,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Google is your friend.
This is true, and Google will also point out the more than 2,300 hi tech FBI jobs, the NASA jobs, the National Energy Technology Lab jobs in Morgantown, and the technology associated with $180 million in funded annual research at WVU. That might not seem like much compared with NOVA, but when you consider the difference in populations, proportionately it is impressive. You have millions of people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston