Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:53 AM

941 posts, read 1,358,098 times

Advertisements

Charleston does have less population than Canton but the downtown regions of each of city area quite similar (I mention this because this appears to be the area in question). Charleston's downtown may, in fact, "feel" larger than Canton's downtown. This is because Charleston has taller buildings and a higher density of them. Charleston does not, however, have the nice central plaza inn it's downtown that Canton does, nor does it have Canton's sprawling suburban area (Canton does not really have a "sprawling" suburban area but I say that in relativity to Charleston).

As for apartments, I may not be the best source of information. I do know that there are some nice apartments in some cool downtown locations (such as along the river) but that is as far as my knowledge goes. This thread has a lot of good quick information about some apartments in the area: https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...iar-these.html

You could use that as a starting point.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 05:19 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,565,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Charleston does have less population than Canton but the downtown regions of each of city area quite similar (I mention this because this appears to be the area in question). Charleston's downtown may, in fact, "feel" larger than Canton's downtown. This is because Charleston has taller buildings and a higher density of them. Charleston does not, however, have the nice central plaza inn it's downtown that Canton does, nor does it have Canton's sprawling suburban area (Canton does not really have a "sprawling" suburban area but I say that in relativity to Charleston).

As for apartments, I may not be the best source of information. I do know that there are some nice apartments in some cool downtown locations (such as along the river) but that is as far as my knowledge goes. This thread has a lot of good quick information about some apartments in the area: https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...iar-these.html

You could use that as a starting point.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.
This is true. Charleston downtown is much larger than cities even twice or three times it's size. I attribute this to it being the "hub" city (as well as capital city) - the retail/economic center of a large area with no other large cities nearby. Heck, Cary NC has over 100,000 people, but the downtown is about the size of St. Albans - it's a bedroom community.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:36 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,057,569 times
Every city has its own character depending on the role it fills. There are no large cities anywhere near Southern West Virginia, so Charleston fills the niche of distribution center and office headquarters, thus it has some relatively tall buildings even though there aren't many people living there. There are more than 15cities in Connecticut with populations larger than Charleston's, but I believe only Hartford has buildings that are much taller. The tallest building in Danbury (population 80,000) is about 6 stories as far as I know.

Canton is a much larger city than Charleston in terms of population, but it is small compared with Cleveland nearby. I'm not even sure it is larger than Akron. It fills an entirely different purpose.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:11 PM

Adding to what RVAtoCNC said, this effect of Charleston, as well as almost every other city (town, village, ect.) in the state of West Virginia, is due to the effects of the Rust Belt in which a mass exodus took place in the 1950s of Midwestern and Northeastern cities. This had many causes but outsourcing of manufacturing jobs played a large role (Columbus was one of the few cities that managed to escape this for the most part). This is why Akron OH, a city of just under 200,000, has an outward appearance of being larger than many other cities of similar population (at least those outside of the Rust Belt area). Akron developed early, declined, recently stabilized, and may now be on the upswing of it's population parabola (this apparent population "upswing" may just be an effect of the recently lousy economy which keeps people from moving possibly due to their own financial situation and/or the housing economy).

Just like Akron, Canton, Dayton, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati (the list goes on forever), Charleston is a city that has room to fill. It would appear to be like a city of 100,000-200,000 when compared with those out west or deeper south. It has a comparative infrastructure and commerce but with less population density (i.e. better traffic but more difficult for local businesses).

Hey try some of these apartments:

Edgewater Apartments
1330 Kanawha Blvd E
Charleston
(304) 342-5931

Town House Apartments
1202 Kanawha Blvd E
Charleston
(304) 343-4301

They are close to the water downtown and might be nice.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Every city has its own character depending on the role it fills. There are no large cities anywhere near Southern West Virginia, so Charleston fills the niche of distribution center and office headquarters, thus it has some relatively tall buildings even though there aren't many people living there. There are more than 15cities in Connecticut with populations larger than Charleston's, but I believe only Hartford has buildings that are much taller. The tallest building in Danbury (population 80,000) is about 6 stories as far as I know.

Canton is a much larger city than Charleston in terms of population, but it is small compared with Cleveland nearby. I'm not even sure it is larger than Akron. It fills an entirely different purpose.
I very much agree.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:40 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,565,663 times
Roanoke VA is very similar to Charleston in regard to be the only "city" for many miles and thus an economic hub for the region. Roanoke is a bit larger than Charleston, and is really investing in their downtown - converting old hotels to condos, large civic center with weekly national shows, museums, the new medical research center and school, and adding a lot of nightlife as well as the marketplace update - it's really nice, and on weekends, booming downtown at night.

btw - I never could figure out why Chucktown did away with the Sternwheel Regatta Festival - that was really a good time, and was getting bigger and bigger, better acts, crowds including out-of-staters - and then poof - no more, and now downtown Charleston seems as dead as a door nail. I never kept up as to why they did away with this week long downtown festival - anyone who knows, I would like to know.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:46 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,882,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westvirginiafan1 View Post
Charleston does not come close to Columbus -Cbus is huge, but Canton?? You ever been there? ever been to Charleston? Canton hardly comes close to Charleston, but Canton is huge compared to the village of Morgantown.
I dont know what Canton is. I was comparing it to Columbus and the other Ohio city. I have been to Charleston many times.

Looking at the official stats Morgantown is around the same size as Canton. With the students the Morgantown areas has around 70k people. The Morgantown-Pittsburgh area has around ~1 million people. If this makes Morgantown a village than Charleston is a small hamlet.

However, this is irrelevant. They are not asking about Morgantown but Charleston.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:52 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,882,654 times
Charleston does look bigger than it is. A big reason for that is Charleston WV used to have close to 90k people and brought in more people since it was the capital and the only city, along with the Huntington, in a big area. So it experienced a relatively prosperous period, but lost half its population, along with Huntington starting in the 70s to just a few years ago.

That is why the city, especially the downtown feel kinda dead. During working hours it is alright but past 9 and on most weekends it is just empty.

It has some good restaurants. Given its location in the middle of nowhere and its small size it has a good bit going on for it.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:04 PM

Great example RVAtoCNC but as for the other...hmmmm...no...

Old 03-10-2013, 10:09 AM

119 posts, read 337,437 times
So do most people that live in the Charleston Metro live in the city or more of the outskirts? How come downtown is dead after work hours? I understand it is only a city of about 52,000, it it mostly older, younger, or a good mix? As far as the economy, does charleston have room to grow as far as jobs and population or is it on the decline?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston