Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 06:19 PM

68 posts, read 278,092 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are a family of 6 (4 elem age kids.) Thinking of relocating to the Charleston area from MN. How are the winters, we still hope for snow!

Also, how are the schools. Our children are advanced academically and finding appropriate schooling has been tough. What areas would we look in for acreage. We are tired of the suburban development lot sizes.

We are fearful of moving to an area that doesn't have much growth. We don't want to settle our kids in an area they most likely won't want to be in upon college graduation. It appears Charleston is losing population quite quickly. Thoughts? What are the younger adults doing after being raised in the area. We left PA a decade or so ago and really regret not staying in our hometown. Now we can't get a job to get back there, I don't want my kids to have no options but to leave their hometown down the road.

Thank you all in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 06:23 AM

6,174 posts, read 9,313,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim825 View Post
Hi, We are a family of 6 (4 elem age kids.) Thinking of relocating to the Charleston area from MN. How are the winters, we still hope for snow!

Also, how are the schools. Our children are advanced academically and finding appropriate schooling has been tough. What areas would we look in for acreage. We are tired of the suburban development lot sizes.

We are fearful of moving to an area that doesn't have much growth. We don't want to settle our kids in an area they most likely won't want to be in upon college graduation. It appears Charleston is losing population quite quickly. Thoughts? What are the younger adults doing after being raised in the area. We left PA a decade or so ago and really regret not staying in our hometown. Now we can't get a job to get back there, I don't want my kids to have no options but to leave their hometown down the road.

Thank you all in advance
Hi,

I could sit here and type all day that Charleston is one of the best places to raise a family, with great schools, hospitals, parks, shopping, dinning, and natural beauty.............. but when it comes to jobs, Charleston isn't the hot spot. The people that have jobs here in Charleston are doing well, but new jobs are hard to come by. If your in healthcare or government, then finding a job should be easy. Banking and Law are two other great fields. And if your a teacher, then your almost going to be handed over a job due to the large number of teachers retiring.

Now, I don't know what Charleston's job market will look like in 15 years, but I can tell you that Charleston is a family place. With the best schools in the state, a great healthcare scene, a city appearance with a friendly vibe, and alot of recreation right at your feet, Charleston is one of a kind.

I can recommend the north central part of WV for job market. I know that area is one of the fastest growing areas in the country, and is close to PA. I'm sure someone on this forum can tell you about that area better than I.

If you were to pick Charleston--- I'd recommend the following:

Pinch, Kanwha City, South Hills, Mink Shoals, East End, and the Greenbrier Street Community in Northern Charleston

Hope you and your family find what you need. The best of Luck!!!

Old 08-24-2010, 02:16 PM

68 posts, read 278,092 times
Thanks, this helps. I would have preferred to be closer to PA (even Northern WV) but Charleston is where the job is so I guess we have no other choice. Pittsburgh is still a horrible job market after decades so I suppose there is no way to predict what will happen.

Sounds like a nice place. I am concerned with the lack of school options for my kids. We aren't in a position to pay for private school and have found that regular classrooms do not offer the academic challenge they crave. So we will have to explore that.

Any thoughts on school districts that might have higher academic standards/outcomes than others? That is our primary concern.

Thanks

Old 08-24-2010, 04:07 PM

6,174 posts, read 9,313,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim825 View Post
Thanks, this helps. I would have preferred to be closer to PA (even Northern WV) but Charleston is where the job is so I guess we have no other choice. Pittsburgh is still a horrible job market after decades so I suppose there is no way to predict what will happen.

Sounds like a nice place. I am concerned with the lack of school options for my kids. We aren't in a position to pay for private school and have found that regular classrooms do not offer the academic challenge they crave. So we will have to explore that.

Any thoughts on school districts that might have higher academic standards/outcomes than others? That is our primary concern.

Thanks
Public Schools in the Charleston area part of Kanawha County Schools
Kanawha County Schools (http://kcs.kana.k12.wv.us/kcs09/ - broken link)

The best schools are normaly the ones in the nicer parts of town, and as for yor childrens' advanced skills, the "Gifted" program is available through all county schools
NAGC :: Home

As for private schools, there is several that offer financial support such as Cross Lanes Christian, and Elk Valley Christian. Other private schools include Charleston Catholic, St. Mary's, St. Agnes, ect....

For public schools I'd recommend-------- George Washington High School, Capital High, Horace Mann Middle, John Adams Middle, Elk Center El, Pinch El, Ruffner El, Overbrook El, Weberwood El, Montrose El, Kanawha City El, Chamberlain El,

and there is so much more

public schools total----
8-high schools
2- vocational schools
13- middle schools
1- alternative
about 47- Elementary schools

so lots of options

and if you want info on Putnam County just ask

Old 08-24-2010, 06:31 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,913,423 times
kim, I sent you a direct message. Look in the upper right part of your screen and it should say something about one new direct message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston