Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 03:09 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,007,578 times

Advertisements

Solitary confinement, no "outside" time, no gym time, no college classes, no work release, no mingling with the "prison population". He can get his meals pushed under the door. No need to come out. No parole, ever - not for murder. Inhumane? Not really. What he did was inhumane.

Last edited by macalan; 05-01-2016 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 03:35 PM

And I don't care that those two females sang like canaries. They knew the kids had a gun, they knew what was going down. As far as I'm concerned, they're as guilty as the males who killed Eric Brantley. Life without parole in solitary.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:35 PM

244 posts, read 230,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Solitary confinement, no "outside" time, no gym time, no college classes, no work release, no mingling with the "prison population". He can get his meals pushed under the door. No need to come out. No parole, ever - not for murder. Inhumane? Not really. What he did was inhumane.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:10 PM

455 posts, read 669,677 times
Reading the Post and Courier article you can imagine the way their defense will go. Poor upbringing, disadvantaged youths..may be true, but they took a life. All four of them.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:31 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
Quote:
m1a1mg - that's not true. At least not in my case. It has nothing to do with race.

Four people killed an innocent, defenseless man in the prime of his life, who was minding his own business, leaving work after a long night. This wasn't a drug deal gone bad, it wasn't a gang fight or other altercation. It wasn't an accident. They targeted him, to - as they said - "get their money".

It's that - to me - that's so disturbing. That "doing a lick" and taking a life in the process is no big deal, and there's no disgust or shame or upset on the part of his friends or family - they want to "Free Lul D" - they don't care that he killed an innocent person - in fact it seems from the comments his friends made they are proud of it. It's a notch in his belt.

I don't have the answers but I do think if we don't talk about it, it will only continue to get worse. Pretty soon you've got a Detroit or Baltimore on your hands.

What's the answer if these kids aren't growing up right? You can try and turn around the young ones with community effort, but what about the older ones already entrenched in this lifestyle? Some of the comments glorifying this guy came from teens - so it starts young.

Do you hold the judges accountable for releasing them back onto the street? Hold the parents accountable? Military school? A "Scared Straight" program?
An excellent post mac. I can't even begin to list all the factors that led these kids to this point. I just know that the response when the victim is white tends to be much louder. We've become so accustomed to black on black crime we don't even look anymore.

And the blame lies everywhere.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:29 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
An excellent post mac. I can't even begin to list all the factors that led these kids to this point. I just know that the response when the victim is white tends to be much louder. We've become so accustomed to black on black crime we don't even look anymore.

And the blame lies everywhere.
The response is even louder if it were the other way around.
There's a difference between being disadvantaged and being a psychopath.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:27 AM

What I took away from the P&C article was that they had similar backgrounds - no father in the picture, not from "advantaged" families.

The "alleged" shooters turned to a life of crime. Eric poured his energy into music and motorcycles and got a job at a young age.

There are plenty of "disadvantaged" people who don't kill people or turn to a life of crime. Why these people did is the million dollar question. Is it just that it's "acceptable"? Is it "glorified"?

What to do about it once it happens (the life of crime) is the second million dollar question.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:01 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
Quote:
What I took away from the P&C article was that they had similar backgrounds - no father in the picture, not from "advantaged" families.

The "alleged" shooters turned to a life of crime. Eric poured his energy into music and motorcycles and got a job at a young age.

There are plenty of "disadvantaged" people who don't kill people or turn to a life of crime. Why these people did is the million dollar question. Is it just that it's "acceptable"? Is it "glorified"?

What to do about it once it happens (the life of crime) is the second million dollar question.
Being disadvantaged is an excuse. There are plenty of disadvantaged people that go on to lead productive lives. If anything growing up knowing tge disadvantaged of being a gang banger should be inspiration of what not to do. The fact these kids are glorified in their circles vs being ostracized as a one off problem is the bigger issue. Some communities deserve to live in a police state.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:53 PM

252 posts, read 264,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Being disadvantaged is an excuse. There are plenty of disadvantaged people that go on to lead productive lives.
*raises hand* Grew up poor, raised by a divorced mother (who, to be fair, had rock solid morals), benefited from every government program under the sun, lived in the crappiest of crap-holes...

Today: Engineering position with a major aerospace company. I'm not special. Anyone could do it with the same determination.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:44 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
And are you the exception or the rule?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area