Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 06:58 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,321,831 times

Advertisements

Was I even heavy into the conversation? I merely talked about my dislike of unions, no details on the Boeing side. We can chat about unions all day, but I don't think this was the purpose of the thread and I got off topic a few times.

Otherwise, my lips are sealed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 05:26 PM

37 posts, read 71,286 times
Doubt 777X will be coming to SC even if the machinists decline the new contract:

"In a clear effort to sway union members on the eve of the vote, two sources close to the company said an internal Boeing analysis identified its top three alternative manufacturing sites as Long Beach, Calif.; Salt Lake City; and Huntsville, Ala."

"Boeing South Carolina is unlikely to be chosen because that complex needs all its resources to try to get the 787 Dreamliner on track."

Landmark vote for Machinists, Boeing | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times

Also looks like SC isn't doing to well and the union maybe coming there quite soon:

Boeing: "Mack Daddy" Blues In North Charleston » FITSNews

Old 11-13-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh1 View Post
Doubt 777X will be coming to SC even if the machinists decline the new contract:

"In a clear effort to sway union members on the eve of the vote, two sources close to the company said an internal Boeing analysis identified its top three alternative manufacturing sites as Long Beach, Calif.; Salt Lake City; and Huntsville, Ala."

"Boeing South Carolina is unlikely to be chosen because that complex needs all its resources to try to get the 787 Dreamliner on track."

Landmark vote for Machinists, Boeing | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times

Also looks like SC isn't doing to well and the union maybe coming there quite soon:

Boeing: "Mack Daddy" Blues In North Charleston » FITSNews
Yeah, it's a pattern with Northwest reporters and workers to completely forget about the recent developments and commitments made by Boeing in North Charleston...nothing new.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:19 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,882,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesposito View Post
looks like all the yahoos in WA may (unfortunately for us) be coming to their senses.... It doesn't look like they are going to vote against the new contract. The avg guy there turning a wrench is making 80k a year with incredible benefits. It amazes me that they are complaining...
Apparently not. Should be interesting for you guys.

Boeing machinists reject contract proposal - seattlepi.com

Old 11-14-2013, 07:08 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,221,083 times
I think the unions took a big risk with that vote. While SC is supposedly lagging the company has purposefully left themselves a lot of leeway with all their newer manufacturing sites. I would love a stacked pension but if I would instead be pulling in a high enough salary to fund an adequate 401k or IRA I would not look that in the mouth. Plus- what good is a pension if they ax your job before you are age or job tenure eligible? From what I have been told the Boeing higher ups still feel completely burned by the labor strike in the 00s.

And with so many people still hungry these days I would not risk my employment. I truly doubt anyone is even offered pensions or lifetime healthcare in ten years. Its simply not sustainable for a company that wants to remain sustainable. And I say that as a Democrat.

I would love to find out the head count on new SC hires versus transfers versus new hires from out of the area at Boeing. I think we have a tendency to think of corporate employers like first grade teachers who find something special in everyone when really they want specific skill sets or aptitudes.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:21 PM

I welcome Boeing and any of their workers from any state here with open arms. Come and enjoy the sunshine.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:47 PM

177 posts, read 479,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I welcome Boeing and any of their workers from any state here with open arms. Come and enjoy the sunshine.
I second that, come on down!

Old 11-14-2013, 09:19 PM

It's hilarious to read articles from around the country as each city/state feels they are in the lead for the bidding.

CA (Long Beach) says they are in the lead d/t being a port on the Pacific Ocean. San Antonio feels they are in the lead d/t having extensive Boeing facilities. Salt Lake feels like they are in the lead because of friendly business reasons. North Chuck feels they are in the lead because apparently no one else of the competitors has actually built a plane at their facility.

Forget the traffic, let's remember the economic impacts. Let's welcome Boeing!

Old 11-15-2013, 10:06 AM

769 posts, read 977,601 times
My dad was/is a machinist. He worked for GM and the union didn't do that much. When they went on strike..that meant no paycheck coming in. Also when they closed the Framingham plant..my dad was out of a job. He opened his own business.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:14 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,367,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Now THAT I would welcome. I'm a Midwesterner and even though the winters are bitterly cold, they had sunshine, and out here in Seattle even though it's not as cold, the dampness really makes you bitterly cold if you have any exposed skin. Heat transfers to liquids much more quickly than air. So it's not really buying you anything. And not to mention the snow removal systems in the area get allocated to the mountain passes, NONE to the cities, hence the place shuts down with 2" of snow.

Anyway, hyperbole aside, it might come as a shock that I do have an open mind. I've read up on the Palmetto state and the Charleston area. It might be a difficult transition for my wife, who is Japanese, and it might be more difficult to visit her family, who is in Japan. But other than that, any useful sites or references to the culture, food, and outdoors activities that would be within say 1 hr drive? Also since I will be passing my genes on, which districts have the best schools? Are they public, or private?

Note that Delaney, VP of engineering, said basically wherever Final Assembly is, engineering will relocate there. So if SC gets 777X, not sure the design engineering will be done there but the build liaison engineers, QA, flight test, delivery, and tooling engineering will relocate. That's hundreds of engineering jobs.

For the record, I firmly believe the IAM are a bunch of morons. Not a fan of unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area