Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 09:04 PM

73 posts, read 161,432 times

Advertisements

There is a strong possibility I will be relocating to SC and would like to get an idea of what to expect with regards to the area, schools, real estate value, possibility of real estate taxes increasing after the economic boom settles, taxes on owning a car, areas needing flood ins....ect

I visited recently and found the area to be beautiful, the people kind , and atmosphere way more relaxed than I am accustomed. It was only a short time but I have only heard positive things about the area. My biggest concern is my children, duaghter 5 and son who is 6. Schools will weigh heavily on my final decision , so I would really appreciate specific schools to focus on. If posting is a problem you can contact me through email which would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any info you could help me with.

Last edited by Yac; 01-02-2013 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 10:09 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,924 times
Fish, What is your price range, that will determine what areas you can afford to live in....

MtP has good schools but belongs to a school district, CCSD (Charelston County) that is mostly low income failing schools, Berkeley County is a more rural district with less than stellar schools, Dorchester Coundty District 2 is the best all around district in the area and is kind of middle of the road financially....

Taxes will aways go up as long as politicians want to keep spending more of our money and we don't watch what they do...

Vehicle Taxes really depend on the year and model, aka value of your vehicle...

Flood insurance is really best answered when you decide on a place to move as it will depend on what area of the flood plain you are one as to what kind of insurance if any you will need...

Old 12-15-2012, 06:44 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,124 times
I am a Boeing Employee... lots of places to live, Summerville area, Mt. P., even West Ashley, people from all over the area.

Mt. P is a little pricier then other areas mainly do to its proximity to the coast, but higher housing costs and higher insurance costs.

I live in Summerville area, near Downtown historic summerville, 15 min. commute to work for me.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:37 PM

OleTomCat and Mustangeater82

Im trying to stay below 250,000 if possible, but I wouldnt mind being house poor if it meant my kids where safer and in the best school I could possibly afford.

Im interested in Wando but have a question about the no seeums....that is what we call them here anyway. The invisible gnats that bite like a tiger...We also call them all-teeth. Probably wont be the deciding factor but them things made me take up C&R (catch and release fishing) for a long time. Nothing worse than filleting a days catch with thousands of gnats tearing you up the whole time

The DD2 schools also have my interest but was curious if you could shed some light on the Summerville High school split. Im interested in the progress of Ashley Ridge High School . Would you say one was better than the other, or are they very similar.

BTW, I just want to thank you guys for taking the time to answer alot of questions on the site. Ive been doing research for a couple of months , most of the knowledge ive gained has been from you guys. I know you get similar questions all the time and it may get old, but I really appreciate what you both do.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:37 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,924 times
Summerville will keep you under the 250k and have good schools.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:09 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnut View Post
OleTomCat and Mustangeater82

Im trying to stay below 250,000 if possible, but I wouldnt mind being house poor if it meant my kids where safer and in the best school I could possibly afford.

Im interested in Wando but have a question about the no seeums....that is what we call them here anyway. The invisible gnats that bite like a tiger...We also call them all-teeth. Probably wont be the deciding factor but them things made me take up C&R (catch and release fishing) for a long time. Nothing worse than filleting a days catch with thousands of gnats tearing you up the whole time

The DD2 schools also have my interest but was curious if you could shed some light on the Summerville High school split. Im interested in the progress of Ashley Ridge High School . Would you say one was better than the other, or are they very similar.

BTW, I just want to thank you guys for taking the time to answer alot of questions on the site. Ive been doing research for a couple of months , most of the knowledge ive gained has been from you guys. I know you get similar questions all the time and it may get old, but I really appreciate what you both do.
When we moved here, everyone said you can't go wrong with Summerville or Mount Pleasant. It's just a matter or price, preference and proximity. Price...what you can comfortably afford...you don't want to be house poor, you will hate that you ever moved here. Preference...some people just like the feel of one over the other. Proximity...you want to live close to work. Both sets of schools are good as far as I understand from others. I think your best bet is Summerville, more bang for your buck and easier to get to your job. Not that it matters but we tried both locations and settled on the area closer to work.

Edit to add: we're not Boeing employees. You're asking for that specifically in the title of your thread, but there's not many here, much less that post regularly.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:45 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,292 times
I live in West Ashley and we have some Boeing employees in my neighborhood and apartment complex. I don't really know them personally, but I see quite a few people coming home wearing Boeing uniforms in the evening. I've also seen lots of homes here in that price range, very nice homes at that.

We're still relatively new in town and trying to figure out where we want to buy a home and settle down ourselves. It's a relatively easy commute from here to Boeing, I haven't heard much about the schools here (no kids) so I can't comment on that.

I have some family members and friends in the Summerville/Ladson area and they like it there. It seems like a great place to live. You can definitely get more home for your money there than in Mt. P, and I know insurance rates can be more if you're east of the Cooper River (something I found out when we moved our renter's insurance to this apartment).

I would make a visit and check out several areas- spend at least 3-4 days here doing that, we only looked around for a day and I wish we'd looked longer and at other areas.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:55 PM

Robynn

What was meant when you said that you tried both areas? Also what towns make up the Summerville school district?

Patriot

Where would you live if you could do it over?

Old 12-16-2012, 03:32 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnut View Post
Robynn

What was meant when you said that you tried both areas? Also what towns make up the Summerville school district?
We were targeting Summerville so we rented there first. It ended up being too far of a drive to work so we moved to mount pleasant. Both places are great!

Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 PM

Could you tell me how many miles in your commute while in Summerville to your work? Just trying to make a comparison. Are there problems with congestion?

Last edited by fishnut; 12-16-2012 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area