Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:16 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,347,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnut View Post
Cons to living in Summerville
Distance to the beach/downtown Charleston...

Fewer big name restaurants, shopping, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 03:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,570 times
Hi, My name is Bryan. I work at Boeing but for a temp service as a Carpenter. My wife and I moved to SC in July. Our daughter who is in the Navy is stationed here. I have custody of our 7 yr. old grand daughter and my daugther's son is also 7. They both go to an elementary school in Goose Creek. They both love the school and the teachers are great. They are both reading better than excepted. They have a reading program in place, where as if they read everyday for at least 20 minutes they get a free personal pan pizza at pizza hut. They also get other incentives such as popcorn days or treasure chests to choose toys from. We are totally happy with the school that they are attending. The people are very nice here as well. Hope that helped you out. Also depending on how much money you are willing to pay for rent, our daughter lives in a Beautiful neighborhood in Goose Creek and the rent ranges from $1000*$1350, these houses are HUGE 4 to 5 bedrooms. We live about 3 miles from her and we have a small 3 bedroom and we pay $850. Hope this helped

Old 12-18-2012, 05:59 PM

73 posts, read 161,601 times
bkhubb

Thank you , it absolutely helps. Appreciate your advice. If their is anything else you can think of , send me a PM.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:16 PM

369 posts, read 1,096,166 times
Just stay out of North Charleston, which happens to be where Boeing is located.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:58 PM

870 posts, read 1,989,700 times
As schools go, Dorchester 2 is the best district in the state but MT. Pleasant schools would probably go toe to toe with them if they weren't lumped in with the rest of Charleston county. Bottom line: Either Mt. Pleasant or the Summerville area would work for your kids academically.

Commute: In the mornings, traffic tends to move towards Charleston and in the evenings it tends to move away from Charleston. That said, which area works for you kind of depends on your schedule. There is one major caveat here. As Mustang pointed out, he has 3 routes to get to work (technically 4 in a pinch, he could take 78 to 52 if he HAD to but it involves a kind of circuitous route to his elbow in the process). From Mt. Pleasant, there are two major routes. You can take 526 or I-26. One major accident on either and you're kind of hosed because the other one will back up very quickly with the extra volume.

Home prices are a big factor. You'll get more bang for your buck in Summerville. First, homes are less expensive to begin with. In Mt. P, your budget would get you into a nice home in a decent neighborhood. In Summerville it's likely to get you a large home and or a large piece of land. Alternatively, you could buy what your budget would get you in Mt. P in Summerville and pocket the other $100,000

Also, homeowners insurance is cheaper as well. Some recent posts in an insurance thread are talking about $2000 a year for insurance and another $3000 for flood. My mom lives in Summerville and pays $1500 a year for insurance and flood is not required where she lives.

I don't know what either county is like for taxes because I live in Berkeley county and pay slightly north of Jack Squat in property taxes every year. My dear old dad lives in Pennsylvania. His house is worth 4 times what mine is. He pays no less than 13 times what I pay for property taxes every year. Dad kinda hates me for that.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:19 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,040,134 times
While I personally think that Mt Pleasant schools are the best in the region (yes I am biased), I honestly think, based on the OP's budget, that Summerville would be the best fit. You will need to be more selective of the schools in DD2 than you would in Mt P but there are plenty that will offer a good education. There are plenty of homes in the $250K range in Summerville but in Mt P that would get you something akin to a starter home.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:44 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,658,272 times
There are areas of North Charleston that are perfectly fine...

Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 PM

369 posts, read 1,096,166 times
MustangEater82.... that is true, but the majority is not. and for someone not familiar with the area I was just advising that, lots of places make themselves *look* good...

Old 01-05-2013, 06:36 AM

506 posts, read 1,026,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post
MustangEater82.... that is true, but the majority is not. and for someone not familiar with the area I was just advising that, lots of places make themselves *look* good...
If you were aware that there were areas of North Charleston that were perfectly fine, perhaps it would have been better to say "There are parts of North Charleston that you should stay out of" instead of "Just stay out of North Charleston".

Old 01-05-2013, 08:25 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,680,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exupstateny View Post
If you were aware that there were areas of North Charleston that were perfectly fine, perhaps it would have been better to say "There are parts of North Charleston that you should stay out of" instead of "Just stay out of North Charleston".
There are more parts to stay out of then to live in so the overall advice of do not move there, espeically for one not familiar with the area, is sound advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area