Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 06:11 AM

547 posts, read 1,196,207 times

Advertisements

So Ive been doing alot of research on the possible opening of the 2nd assembly line for the 787 here in Charleston. It looks more and more every day that this is going to be a no-brainer for Boeing as the unions in WA would not agree NOT to strike over the next 5 years or so. They are already way behind on orders and need some security that even if the line in WA goes down the one here would keep moving. I dont know if the people in Charleston realize just how big this could potentially be for the area. All the hoopla that Google recieved when they were looking at Charleston was great but the impact of Boeing locally would make the Google venture look like a drop in the bucket compared to Boeing. I hope this state is doing everything they can to make this happen as it would mean thousands of good paying jobs in the area and be the biggest shot of adrenaline this local economy has ever seen...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 10:26 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,016,626 times
I hate to have that much confidence in state leadership, but yes, Boeing would be a windfall to SC and vice versa.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:27 AM

15 posts, read 67,352 times
Just a matter of time man. I work for Boeing in Dallas and am relocating to Charleston on Monday actually. They are slowly but surely transferring a lot of work out there. The next six months should be very interesting.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:20 PM

can't wait to see it happen! My understanding is the employees here will vote on September 10th to decertify the union...once that happens its a REAL no brainer for Boeing. You will love it here...its paradise

Old 08-12-2009, 01:35 PM

15 posts, read 67,352 times
Yea you are correct September 10th is the date, so we will see what happens. I visited Charleston for about 3 days back in May, ended up getting a place in Mt Pleasant. Its about 102F in Dallas right now so being excited in an understatement!

Old 08-12-2009, 05:07 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
I truly hope this happens...Charleston lost out to Mobile for the Northrup Gruman/Airbus plant that's for the new Military refuelers and transport jets...this would be great news for the whole area if they can at least get Boeing.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:28 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolf View Post
Just a matter of time man. I work for Boeing in Dallas and am relocating to Charleston on Monday actually. They are slowly but surely transferring a lot of work out there. The next six months should be very interesting.
Do you need a Maintenance Supervisor?

Old 08-12-2009, 06:17 PM

well hopefully everyone here locally that votes on Sept 10th realizes what kind of impact this will have on not only their jobs security but their property values, and the "trickle down" affect this would have on the economy here. I've been following the Seattle Times and it sounds like there are alot of the people up there are convinced that the Unions pushed to far this last go around and upper management at Boeing is done dealing with them. All they have to do is take a good look at the auto industry...the smarter foreign companies have opened plants in states that welcome big business (like SC) and as a result are better positioned to make it through through this downturn

Old 04-06-2010, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,435 times
If you OR ANY of your associates are looking for a home I have one just on the market. DESIREABLE neighborhood ,low taxes, large 3 bedrooms and two full bathrooms..MANY DESIREABLE FEATURES.
ON CUL DE SAC
$295000
CALL 843-553-6877

Old 04-07-2010, 06:41 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,009 times
Great News for Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area