Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:25 PM

45 posts, read 108,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
North Charleston is mixed, it is also rather large. Yes there are bad areas and there are also areas with Country clubs.

Also another thing you need to consider in your decision is counties. Alot of areas overlap. You will see dorchester county is great, but your city isn't ranked well. The average incomes on both can be $20k apart, even though your house is in both areas. So its worth looking at a little harder.

As for finding homes, there are tons of areas in your price range. The next thing you will want to look into is do you want to do newer construction(like 2004+) or older, like late 80s early 90s.

Both have pluses and minuses.

older houses around here might need some updating, most roofs were last fixed do to hugo around '90 and are needing replacement now, if it already hasn't. Smaller master bath, more "walled off" rooms. There are some great houses, I'd take a real hard look and run the numbers on older foreclosed houses. I looked at alot, and man... costs add up real quick and don't look like such a deal.

Newer construction, obvdiously newer, usually pretty energy efficient, but I believe some people on here had problems. My place is 2006 and is very energy efficient.

Their are less trees on the lots, but the style of homes, are more modern, neighborhoods are usually setup with a nice amenities are and playground style place.

I moved into a newer construction house in smaller subdivision, that had nicer amenities then some of the bigger neighborhoods, lots of woods around, and my house backs up to a forest, with a few large trees in my backyard, easy walking distance to the pool/playground/trails in the woods. We usually take our kid down there in a wagon in the afternoon to play.

where are you coming from? Can you spend a weekend in the area just driving around? You can get a feel for places.

Thank you for your reply! I am a little confused on the whole Dorchester area. Is Dorchester part of Summerville? I know while looking up information I saw a lot of people saying to stay in the Dorchester school district because it's the best school around. Is that true? And I am aiming more towards the new house like you said, I know how fast costs can add up quickly while renovating. And yeah I'll be able to stay for the weekend, so I'll definitely get a feel for the area. What neighborhood do you live in? Sounds nice, and do they have houses for sale in my price range there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,336,792 times
Summerville is the town, Dorchester is the County, there is also a very small town of Dorchester that is in the rural areas of Dorchester County...

Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,654,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Summerville is the town, Dorchester is the County, there is also a very small town of Dorchester that is in the rural areas of Dorchester County...
PRetty much what he said.

There are also other small cities or parts of cities in Dorchester county.

Dorchester II is the best ranked school system in the state. Mt. P does have some highly ranked schools, but overall the county is just ok.

Therre are alot of nicer old houses that don't need renovations I wouldn't rule them out, but its something that narrows down what you are looking for.

We personally wanted some trees.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 PM

DD2 isn't the best in the state, but it is pretty high up there, I think Lexington is the highest rated district..

CCSD has some great schools but overall the district about stinks....

Old 04-18-2012, 09:16 AM

528 posts, read 1,514,753 times
My family has been in the town of Summerville for 6 generations. There are 19 subdivisions that I would recommend that would be appropriate for your price range and stated interests. Obviously, it is too cumbersome to name them all here but you can be assured that you can find the right house at the right price to suit your needs. I would encourage you to set up a visit to further investigate the town. Foster

Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 PM

88 posts, read 257,877 times
So I was only looking into Summerville until someone mentioned Johns Is since I'll be working downtown. Looks like there are a few houses in Johns Is comparable in price to Summerville.
Is Johns Is ok? Flooding problem? Hurricane? Insurance much higher than Summerville? RE taxes?
Any reason to avoid Johns Is?
Thanks

Old 04-19-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost_hawaiian View Post
Is Johns Is ok? Flooding problem? Hurricane? Insurance much higher than Summerville? RE taxes?
Ok, any place with 'Island' in the name is going to have higher insurance cost simply because they are at greater risks from hurricanes and flooding.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 PM

88 posts, read 257,877 times
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area