Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 02:25 PM

13 posts, read 62,844 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering a move from Upstate New York to Charleston within the next 6months - year. We have two sons involved in youth ice hockey (second year pee wee and a beginner). Looking for any feedback, good, bad, indifferent you may have to offer about the youth hockey programming in Charleston, as well as the local high school ice hockey teams. Is this a growing sport, are high schools moving beyond club status to legitimate high school team sport, etc. Looking at possibly living in Mount Pleasant or Summerville areas. Thanks for any possible feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 07:53 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,997,342 times
Youth hockey has blossemed here in Charelston, really ever since the SC Stingrays came to town (ECHL Team) They have several great programs for all ages and all levels of players. My two newphews play on the pee wee travel league and I skate in the Adult "B" league. There travel team is something to watch! Not sure if you play but the Adult league offers some 50 something teams in 4 divisions. A,B,C & Over 35. I've been skating there since it opened in 97 and have seen some great progress (for southern hockey).

Link to the rink
Welcome to the Carolina Ice Palace...The New Ice Age!

Check out all the links under hockey, make sure to check out the section on the Charleston Wolverines (exceptional team)

HS hockey is in its 2nd year I believe (maybe 3rd). Yes it continues to grow at a rapid pace.

From Mt Pleasant you are looking at a 30min drive to the rink, located in North Charleston. From Summerville, 10 to 15 min drive.

The fellow who heads up the hockey is Matt Mons. He's the director. You can reach him (843) 572-2717.
Hope this info is helpful to you, and if you need more pls let me know as I am actively invloved with the CIP.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:04 AM

13 posts, read 62,844 times
Thank you so much for your input....very helpful and I'll be sure to look at the websit and contact Matt as we approach a move. Just one more question...my understanding about the high school teams is that they operate like a club, only playing 10-12 games a season. Is this true or do you see it transforming from a club to a legitimate sport for the schools and playing more games a season? Being from Upstate New York, hockey is looked at like football, basketball etc. and the kids definitely play more than 10-12 games a season. Also do most of the high school kids continue to play with the association in addition to high school teams or once they get to high school, do they just play for their school? Thanks Again ...... I'm thirilled to hear hockey is thriving in South Carolina!!

Old 09-03-2007, 12:03 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,017,112 times
I think there are only 10-12 high school teams that have hockey programs in SC. I'm sure if more pick it up as a team sport it'll grow, but the lack of available rink space, more than anything else, might be the deterring factor.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:09 PM

Yes the HS program is more like a club program. Football being the dominate sport here in the South. But, I do see a bright future for HS hockey. I look at the way the youth programs are growing and the continued interest that is following the sport. Eventually when the bantams and midgets reach the HS level, i do believe that there interest will make HS hockey a much bigger and better program that it is now.

When I moved to SC in 95' there was NO ICE, NO HOCKEY!...Now I can look back @ the development and say WOW...I am a NY transplant so I grew up playing pond hockey. Thank god for the Ice palace. Charleston is an awesome area and having hockey back in my life only makes it better. There has been rumor for some time now that more ice facilities will be built in charleston. There is definitely a need. I know that the Figure Skating program has grown as well too and it's now hard sharing the two rinks for all the programs that are going on. Good luck on your move down here, you won't regret it! Your kids will fit right in too!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:35 AM

1 posts, read 6,113 times
My family is also considering a move to the Mt Pleasnt area from Columbus, Ohio. I have a pee/wee involved in the Jr Jackets program here. And a 1 year old that will take to the ice as soon as he learn to walk. My 4 year old has been skating since he was 2 and started house a year early. Looking at the options, does he need to play termite until 7 and then enter CYHA as a second year Mite? I'm not understanding the progression by looking at the website. Are there also travel and select teams in the leauge, A, AA and triple available for tryout?

What about gymnastics in the area? My daughter is a level 4 gymnist and we are looking for a competition team in the Mt Pleasnt area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-18-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthechute View Post
My family is also considering a move to the Mt Pleasnt area from Columbus, Ohio. I have a pee/wee involved in the Jr Jackets program here. And a 1 year old that will take to the ice as soon as he learn to walk. My 4 year old has been skating since he was 2 and started house a year early. Looking at the options, does he need to play termite until 7 and then enter CYHA as a second year Mite? I'm not understanding the progression by looking at the website. Are there also travel and select teams in the leauge, A, AA and triple available for tryout?
Thanks
My nephew plays peewee hockey for the Charleston Wolverine's. The Wolverine's are the Elite travel team down here. BTW they are 13-1 so far this seaon. Charleston Wolverines Hockey Website Software By GOALLINE.ca ... There travel schedule takes them as far as Nashville TN - Tampa FL - And somewhere's in Alabama. Its NOT cheap.

Since your familiar w/ hockey, you have the house league's, JR Stingrays & Wolverine's. Wolverine's and Stingrays require tryouts.

When my nephew started as a termite he played 1 game before they bumped him up to a squirt (house league) He did that 1/2 season, before they had to move him to the Jr Rays, after dominating that for a year he was immediately put on the Wolverine's as a squirt 2 years ago. I'm gonna brag on him for a minute - His 1st year as a Wolverine Squirt he led the entire S.E in Goals/Assists/Points as their team won Regionals in Nashville.

So....Depending on how your boys are they can move up very quick based on their ability. Its not so much an age thing, more of a talent thing. Feel free to msg me if you need more info.

BTW: I started on skates when I was 2 as well...

Old 11-19-2010, 06:35 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
We moved to Atlanta from Toronto area in 1997. We chose our house not based on the schools but where the rinks were!!!! My son began playing travel hockey as a squirt (he was mite age). He spent 10 years in the travel programs in the south. He had his years as a star...and did play on the Team South team a few times. There are many levels and opportunities. The travel hockey is great until midgets...then forget it. The kids are not committed and any real talent leaves for junior programs or for prep schools somewhere else. You will get to know the families from other cities as you travel to Raleigh, Greenville, Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, Huntsville, Memphis, Sarasota on a regular basis. Then there are the tournaments in Miami, Detroit, Dallas, Chicago, etc. One year one of the parents organized a winter trip to Quebec City and Montreal to play teams up there. It was an experience we will never forget.

Enjoy -- it is fun. Sure it is expensive but any competitive sport is expensive. It's time consuming as well. The travel can start as early as Labor Day Week End...and nationals aren't until the end of April. Then in May you start getting ready for the tryouts for the next year.

Our only hockey now is my husband...and it's just not the same. When I do visit the rink here I remember our first trip to Charleston and what fun we had. The kids won the tournament that year and we had a blast visiting this beautiful are. (It was over 10 years ago).

Old 11-19-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The kids are not committed and any real talent leaves for junior programs or for prep schools somewhere else.

Yep! My brother and his wife are already looking at making the move to Mass or RI for his hockey sake.

Our only hockey now is my husband...and it's just not the same.
I'm sure I've played against or even with your husband then! I did take this year off from playing, too much of 'life' going on. May make a grand return entrance next season, after the NFL is over.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:34 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
We are originally from Canada so you know what hockey means to our household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area