Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 12:51 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,449,435 times

Advertisements

I have a unlimited 4g plan on verizon. I pay, with my work discounts, about 70 bucks per month. I use a galaxy nexus I bought used (the only subsidized phone I could get at the time was HTC thunderbolt). the phone is okay sans it reboots every once and a while and the battery life kind of sucks.

So I'm considering the T-mobile $30 pay as you go plan (T-Mobile Has A $30 Unlimited Data Plan For People Who Aren’t Very Chatty, But Can Current Customers Get It?

Kind of wish I had a T-mobile.. .phone in the area to test it before i commit (DENVER)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 05:36 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,249,581 times
Call them and ask if you can port your phone to their service. If you have a contract you'll just have to pay whatever the contract requires to vacate.

Got any friends with T-mo to see how they like their service?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:45 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,282,690 times
Nooooooo!!!! I wouldn't ditch that Verizon unlimited data plan for anything. You've already got a great work discount so why would you step down to T-mobile? In most markets, Verizon is far superior to T-mobile (I'm a AT&T subscriber on unlimited btw).

The issue with the Verizon grandfathered unlimited is that you can't get a phone subsidy if you want to keep it--so that means full retail. Totally worth it IMO. There are inexpensive Nexus phones you can get on Google Play if you don't want to shell out major cash.

Smartphones are getting more data dependent every year and you have a huge advantage with the Verizon plan you already have. Good luck with whatever you decide though.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:30 AM

16,621 posts, read 19,880,932 times
I agree with Barkomatic. Once you bail on that Unlimited Data plan you will not be able to get it back.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:37 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,935,325 times
Keep in mind that with the Tmo plan, you're going to see speed limits after a certain amount of transfers per month. Last time I checked, it was at 5 GB. That's not bad, but at that point I'd just go with the VZW 5 GB plan. It's more expensive, but there's a big difference in signal strength.

I used Tmo about a year ago and found some of the exact same coverage problems along heavily-traveled highways as when I worked for them 10 years ago. That's inexcusable. Worse, some of the areas that showed up as 4G were actually coming in at 3G. The explanation was that although the tower was in a 4G coverage area, the backhaul hadn't been upgraded to handle the 4G speeds, so everyone was being throttled at about 1 meg.

There's a reason why T-Mobile's prepaid plan is the cheapest out there with that size of data bucket. If I were going to leave VZW today, I'd switch to Virgin Mobile. $50 / month ($35 if you don't need the hotspot) and I know Sprint's native coverage works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones