Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:01 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,439,716 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of the Galaxy Nexus. Sure its on 4.3 right now (thanks to root/rom) but the radio's due suck. The batteries are horrible (even with extended).

I thought of paying extra. . .and getting a off-contract HTC One or Moto X or whatever. Yet if I pay cash. . .for a phone. . .

nothing holds it price like an iphone 5. Time to ditch Android to go back to the dark side for a decent radio, decent camera, and a phone that value doesn't fall to nothing in a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 10:03 AM

6,493 posts, read 10,381,393 times
Sounds like you already know what you would prefer.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:36 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,679,670 times
I hate my Verizon Galaxy Nexus too.

Craptacular reception, processor slows way down when it gets warm, mediocre camera, patented Samsung cheap plastic build quality, and the mobile hotspot only works in "ad hoc" mode. It was a bad purchase.

(In a nutshell, ad hoc mode means that multiple wi-fi devices connected simultaneously can't talk to one another, so my laptop can't talk to my ipod or anything else when I use the Galaxy Nexus as an internet connection. I would need a separate piece of hardware to accomplish that, or a different smartphone.)

I went back to my old HTC Thunderbolt because it's a better-built piece of hardware with decent reception, and the wi-fi hotspot mode functions as it should (works as an internet connection as well as a network access point, so connected devices can talk to each other).

Unfortunately, the Thunderbolt is two and a half years past its release date, and it now feels painfully slow. Support-wise it's also abandoned, forever stuck on Android 4.0, which doesn't support Google Now voice commands. I need a new phone soon!

Therefore, I'm in the same boat as you.

Personally, I'm holding out hope that I can buy the HTC Droid DNA as a refurb direct from Verizon (or "Certified Pre-Owned," as Verizon calls them) for less than $400 some time soon. That ought to hold me for awhile. (I had the same thought when I bought the Nexus though, so I'm feeling a little bit shy...)

Old 08-17-2013, 01:02 AM

513 posts, read 581,785 times
Why not just get a Galaxy S4 or HTC One under contract? Why does it have to be unlocked? You could get either of them under contract for $250 or so.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:56 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,671,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
Why not just get a Galaxy S4 or HTC One under contract? Why does it have to be unlocked? You could get either of them under contract for $250 or so.
You can't keep your unlimited data and get subsidized phones.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
You can't keep your unlimited data and get subsidized phones.
Exactly. You must pay the inflated "retail" price (usually around $600 for a decent smartphone, give or take a few, depending on the phone). On the plus side, there's no new contract when you pay retail price.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:24 AM

16,557 posts, read 19,741,898 times
Last years Galaxy S3 is still going for more then $200 on Ebay.

The iPhone can be a frustrating experience, too. Wife got an i5. Reception isn't even a little better on her phone as it is on mine. Sometimes worse.
Either that or Verizon's network sucks.

So for paying full price, that's what we did with her phone. Her Unlimited data price was $75/mo. Buying a subsidized phone for $200 and 2GB of data would have increased her monthly bill to $105.
$200 for the phone + an extra $30/mo for 2 years = $920. Or buy a phone for $600 and keep unlimited data for 2 years for $75.
No brainer.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:12 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,808,390 times
Buy a Nexus 4 and get a T Mobile unlimited contract, or wait for the Nexus 5 and get a T Mobile contract.

I bought the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon the day it launch back in December of 2011 and have been pretty happy with it. Sure the camera is not the best and the battery life could be better. But the pure Android experience is the main seller here. Mine has held up pretty well and still works very well. In a lot of cases my Galaxy Nexus works better than my roommate's GS3.

Solid phone that has a bad partner in Verizon. Very slow updates and Verizon still managed to get a few of their bloatware aps on there. Going the unlocked route is the way to go with a Nexus device.

A phone that has been out for 20 months should not be expected to have a high resale value in this country anyways.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:58 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,814,257 times
i love my galaxy s4

Old 08-26-2013, 11:34 PM

I went to the Verizon store today, and the HTC One is real nice.

And I'm sorry to say it, but the S4 is typical Samsung, which is a piece nice of glass with a cheap plastic wart stuck to the back.

However, the disappointing thing about HTC One was that it is too thin. Its biggest knock against it by reviewers is mediocre battery life. If it was 2-3 mm thicker, that would be OK. It would still be a finely crafted, nicely refined workhorse, and they could have fit a lot more battery inside.

Sigh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones