Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,123 times

Advertisements

I

Last edited by lisa8989; 01-07-2009 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 01:09 PM

331 posts, read 1,384,692 times
personally, something like a pet is something i would never buy over the internet without seeing the pet in person. My wife found our Dog on the internet, BUT, we went to the place she was born to see her in order to decide if we wanted her or not, and making sure she was in good health, etc.
Although this may not be the best comparison, it would be like buying a vehicle off of say Ebay with only having seen pictures, never test drove it, etc.

I just hope everything works out for you, and your new pet

Old 01-07-2009, 01:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa8989 View Post
I purchased a kitten over the internet. I never saw the kitten in real life -- only pictures. I know--stupid. But I did ask for references & the breeder seemed very surprised that I was even asking..."nobody ever asks me for references." I have never purchased an animal over the internet - she made it sound like everybody was doing it with no problems. She has a lot of cats that she breeds - they have their own cat house. I didn't think it was a bad set up but in hindsite, not a good call to buy from a breeder with a lot of cats. Anyhow, she gave me 2 ref and they checked out fine. So I purchased kitten. He came to me on an airplane and was sick from the moment i got him---diarrhea, bloated tummy, sickly looking. He was diagnosed with upper respiratory infection and ringworm. I immediately called the breeder who said....yes, these things can happen whenever a kitten is stressed. So I treated the kitten for the upper respiratory infection and he was fine for a couple of weeks although he still had the bloated tummy. The upper resp. infection was also passed to my other new kitten (purchased before the boy kitten from a different breeder who only bred 1 cat and was healthy and fine.) so more diarrhea. I have had the kitten for a month now and he is sick again (just got the other one better and now more diarrhea from boy.) The vet is saying the kitten could have FIP or FELv/FIV and if he does have these diseases, he could pass them onto the other kitten and his quality of life would not be very good or very long. I would need to test him and then go from there. These tests accumulatively would cost a couple hundred dollars not to mention what I've already spent on this kitten treating him for infection and ringworm and if he is in fact sick then more money to treat him. I cannot spend any more money on this kitten and want to know what I should do. I signed a contract with the breeder and there were no health guarantees on the kitten. I can send the kitten back to the breeder as stated in the contract but I also feel like I should get some of my money back if I do this. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Well, if you are concerned about it, I don't understand why you are waiting to have the tests done. Especially with another cat in the house.

Anyway. With so many animals in shelters, I don't understand why anyone would PAY for an animal from a breeder. You need to go to an animal shelter next time. Not only will you be able to pick out the cat of your choice in person, but you can be reasonably sure that they will be healthy.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-07-2009, 01:18 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, if you are concerned about it, I don't understand why you are waiting to have the tests done. Especially with another cat in the house.

Anyway. With so many animals in shelters, I don't understand why anyone would PAY for an animal from a breeder. You need to go to an animal shelter next time. Not only will you be able to pick out the cat of your choice in person, but you can be reasonably sure that they will be healthy.

20yrsinBranson
Agreed... also you bought from a "breeder" and there was no paperwork or vet records with the cat when you got it? Sounds like a terrible operation, not that any kind of breeder (cat or dog) makes any sense to me with so many in shelters already.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:24 PM

331 posts, read 1,384,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Agreed... also you bought from a "breeder" and there was no paperwork or vet records with the cat when you got it? Sounds like a terrible operation, not that any kind of breeder (cat or dog) makes any sense to me with so many in shelters already.
I definitely agree with both of these as well. Besides, you want to make sure that the animal will connect, and get along with you, can't do that over the net. All of our animals interact with us. Of course the cats do go off and do their own thing, but they do come around for attention as well.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:32 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Poor kitten. You adopted him; now you are responsible for his health and well-being. That means taking him to the vet, having the vet figure out what's causing him to be sick, and having the vet treat him.

And keep the cats separated until they're both well.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:33 PM

977 posts, read 1,955,820 times
Internet purchases are hit or miss (I did buy my car on ebay)...sounds like you got a raw deal, but think about it. This is not a car or a broken stereo system. This is a kitten. I presume you got the kitten as a companion, to give and receive love, to care for it. You don't return it like you do an ugly sweater. Sending it back to the breeder would only make things worse for the cat. If you can't afford to care for it, try turning it over to a shelter that can. Contact the ASPCA, North Shore Animal League, or Best Friends Animal Society. In addition to caring for the cat, they may also be able to investigate the breeder. Consider the money spent to be a lesson.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:40 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
First of all I am so sorry for your kitten. I got my dog through the breeder club, and had a contract
to sign, etc. The dog was 5 months when I did get her, and the breeder who I did get my other dog from did know her, and she had one of her dogs. I am not so sure what recourse you now have since it is from another state. Try contacting aspca where this breeder lives. Maybe you could shut her place down. Also to fly the kitten, did she have a health certificate issued from a vet? Did she do any
kitten shots? If she did contact that vet. She should pay for the vet care, if you did really have
a kitten so ill. Or give you a healthy one at no cost, shipping might be up to you, and why trust the breeder. Yes if you send the kitten back you pay the shipping cost, and will the airline fly a very sick kitten without a health certificate? She would just put the kitten to sleep etc.,. You might be able to go to small claims court, or have a lawyer write her a letter, saying you will shut her down? But then that does cost money. I would have your vet write a letter
about the health and cost and mail in to her certified mail. Then ask for a replacenment kitten, with a health certificate where she is. Most airlines request a certificate of health also, and if you did not get one that should be a red flag warning. Also some states demand a health certificate from a vet b4 they may sell any animal. Check out her state laws.

Last edited by maggiekate; 01-07-2009 at 02:24 PM..

Old 01-07-2009, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,123 times
Thank you Cyborg and Maggiekate. I'll do that.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:09 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
Internet purchases are not uncommon. It is actually the only good venue a breeder has to advertise. In saying that, one must do their homework as well. There are alot of BYBs out there.
I don't understand how a kitten could arrive sick. In order to fly, the breeder HAD to have a health certificate signed by a vet. You should have gotten a copy. You can be sure I would be on the phone to that vet.
Secondly, any decent breeder will have a health contract. But in re-reading your post, I see you did not get one. A huge RED FLAG.
Have you spoken to the breeder?
Guessing you are not going to get any satisfaction from her, I would think the kitten is now your responsibility. But you can not do nothing! If you can't spend the money she needs for the proper care, than get her to someone who can. Her life can depend on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats