Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

In need of advice for two kittens, how to stop cats from fighting, one cat dominating other cat and attacking, cat scared to come down stairs

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:25 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,428 times

Advertisements

Some of you know my story of how I rescued a kitten back in October. His name is Max. He was in very bad shape, within a day or two of death the vet said. I've given him a loving home with good medical care, and am thankful to say he is healthy today. Max is going on 6 months old.

I have another beautiful kitty, named Misty. She's about to turn 7 next week.

When I first brought Max into our home Misty attacked him with no reason. I know now that she was telling him "hey kid, this is MY turf ", but at the time he was only 8 ounces, and the poor thing was defenseless, so I punished her ( I did NOT hurt her, btw ) and she finally stopped attacking him.

Now that Max is growing and is healthy, it seems the tables have turned. Max chases Misty up the stairs and hounds her relentlessly. She is a nervous wreck and has lost enough hair to build another cat. Max also bites me every time I go to touch him, and I have done everything that people have suggested to discipline him to get him to stop. Nothing. He still chases and hounds Misty, he still bites. Misty spends 99% of the time living upstairs between two rooms, and Max invades her territory.

I have spoken to the vet several times about this, and all she says is that Max is a kitten, and he'll grow out of it. For a little while Misty was getting better and coming downstairs, but something must have happened between the two of them when I wasn't around, because she went back to rarely coming downstairs and shen she does, he acts like he is going to go after her, she runs and he chases her. From what I can see he is not attacking her. She is 3 times his size ! The few times I've seen Misty cuff and go after Max to get him away from her, I have praised her, because I feel that I scared her out of going after Max. I want Misty to stick up for herself, and not live in fear or be nervous. I just don't want her attacking and hurting him, nor do I want him to attack or harrass her.

Can anyone give me some advice please ? I have tried everything. I love both my babies and want them both happy and content. But Misty was in our home first, and I want Max to respect that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 05:44 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I think it is a little of Max being the very energetic kitten and them having to work out who is the alpha cat in the household. It sounds like Misty just doesn't want to deal with Max and that is why she opts to stay out of his sight. I have one...who howls if the other cats just look at her...they never hurt her, but I swear do a chase just to hear her yowl. Like a little brother bugging his sister to hear her scream.
All you can do is if Max starts the chase or bothers Misty, grab him by the scruff of the neck (as his mother would), give a small shake (as his mother would), a firm NO! and put him in a safe room, ie bathroom, utility room, for a time out. It's either that, or Misty will have to (and I'm betting she will at some point) give him a good smack as if to say "I've had enough". There's a pecking order and Max will have to learn it.

PS...by the way....they are both gorgeous!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,054 times
I agree with ShelbyGirl1.

I can offer another option if not a bit more troublesome for you. One is to keep them seperated while you are away, leaving Max in a room with lots of toys even battery operated toys. this way Misty can feel safe in her home yet again while you are gone. When you are home do not go to the kitten give Misty all your love and attention first. Then after some time you can go to Max play with him and try to tire him out.
Remember: while you are home, YOU are boss of the house.
Let max out and use scruff of the neck approach if he goes for Misty. I never shoke my kittens but I would grab the scruff, lift kitten off the ground and hiss at them when they were bad.
Make sure Misty gets fed and eats first max last. Estabishing a pecking order is hard to do with kittens.
Unfortunately Max might turn into a dominate feline while Misty might have always been a subordinate. so It could also be that once Max grows he may always be lord and master in many ways.
Still Kittens are Kittens and have to test the limits of what can be accepted in the home.
good luck and hope you get lots a good ides. the key is no matter what... stay consistant. Don't try one thing then another next week. think about the ideas and then stay with it only modify slightly if needed.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:38 AM

Between 6-12 Months sexual maturity is reached. Secondary sex characteristics appear such as thicker hair coats around males' necks, territorial behavior, and behavior associated with courtship and mating.
Just read this... could be part of the situation as well. I take it Max has been altered? Sounds like he is testing his playful soon to be adult boundries.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:56 AM

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I have grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, I have lightly tapped him on the behind, I have used a squirt gun ( he stands there and takes it ) and I always say NO as soon as he starts... he just goes about his business anyway. I have even put him in time out, which he hates, but as soon as he gets out, he misbehaves. I hope it's just him being a kitten and that he will grow out of it.

As to whether he has been altered, I have an appointment scheduled at the end of the month. Because he was so malnourished and sickly when I found him outside, he has been dealing with some other health issues, and the vet wanted me to wait about 3 weeks after he is considered ready for his operation.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:43 PM

Thumbs up Showing OUt

had a friend who always said her cat or dog was "showing out" when they were feeling thier oats and struting their stuff.

Once the surgery is complete then some changes will take place. Just like dogs getting a male fix tend to calm them down. since he is still a kitten he will have his kitty playfulness but hopefully his cat-ittude will change towards Misty.

Lets us know how things go and good luck!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:42 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Great advice given here and I wouldn't worry about it. It's all part of growing up and before you know it your household will be calm again - well, as calm as a household with two cats can be. My youngest is also "Max" but female and, like your Max was in terrible shape when she was dropped off to me. Not weaned, horrible upper respiratory infection and quite a mess all in all. She has three older "sisters" (3 months, five months and 8/9 years her senior) and even when so tiny but feisty she'd go after the others and get body slammed all over the place so much that I'd often fear for her safety but she'd just go back for more and, as she started to grow up became most devilish going after them all. She went through a couple of months of being the ultimate terrorist, leaping on the others while they were sleeping and being SUCH a pain. The older ones would look at me with that, "Oh for crying out loud is she EVER going to grow up?" look but now at nine months old all is well with Little Max and all the girls are at peace with one another.

Love the pics - Misty looks as though her eyes are about to pop out of her head in astonishment at such an intrusion into her space! Just make sure (which I'm sure you do) to give her special alone time with you so she knows she's not being relegated to second cat and before you know it they'll be snuggling up with each other. Good luck and cheers!

Old 02-05-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Love the pics - Misty looks as though her eyes are about to pop out of her head in astonishment at such an intrusion into her space! Just make sure (which I'm sure you do) to give her special alone time with you so she knows she's not being relegated to second cat and before you know it they'll be snuggling up with each other. Good luck and cheers!
Acutally, Misty's eyes are ALWAYS like that. That photo was taken before I found Max. When she is on her perch in front of the downstairs window, I can actually see her eyes as I am getting up on the porch.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:42 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I have grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, I have lightly tapped him on the behind, I have used a squirt gun ( he stands there and takes it ) and I always say NO as soon as he starts... he just goes about his business anyway. I have even put him in time out, which he hates, but as soon as he gets out, he misbehaves. I hope it's just him being a kitten and that he will grow out of it.

As to whether he has been altered, I have an appointment scheduled at the end of the month. Because he was so malnourished and sickly when I found him outside, he has been dealing with some other health issues, and the vet wanted me to wait about 3 weeks after he is considered ready for his operation.
Oh boy, can I sympathize! My kitten (due to be neutered in March as SOON as he hits 6 months!!!) has been a maniac lately. He misbehaves immediately after time-outs too, and terrorizes everyone in the house, (the puppies are the only ones who dont mind these sneak attacks...lol!) Whatever I am doing, he wants to be part of it, especially if it is sweeping, mopping, or anything else which requires motion. I know its a kitten thing, he will outgrow it, but MAN does it get frustrating sometimes! I love him to pieces, but he has to learn the boundaries before he earns free reign in the house...until then, he has a room full of toys and the necessities ready for those time-out sessions! Oh, how I long for the time I will see him calm and loungey in a sunbeamed window...!

Old 02-08-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Oh boy, can I sympathize! My kitten (due to be neutered in March as SOON as he hits 6 months!!!) has been a maniac lately. He misbehaves immediately after time-outs too, and terrorizes everyone in the house, (the puppies are the only ones who dont mind these sneak attacks...lol!) Whatever I am doing, he wants to be part of it, especially if it is sweeping, mopping, or anything else which requires motion. I know its a kitten thing, he will outgrow it, but MAN does it get frustrating sometimes!

Oh my gosh, you are describing Max to a T !! maybe male kitties are a little wilder than females, because I have raised two female cats, and while they had wild streaks in them, it pales in comparison to Max. Everyone is telling me he will calm down after he is fixed, I hope so. The problem is, I feel so badly for him, knowing he has to have an operation soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats