Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times

Advertisements

After all this time, are you not attached to the kitten? Or did you buy as part of a breeding pair so YOU could become the back-yard breeder? If you care for this cat at all, you'll take care of it. Seems like you could take the breeder to small claims court but then the usual solution is your money back and you return the animal. Who will surely be put down once returned to breeder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 07:17 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
After all this time, are you not attached to the kitten? Or did you buy as part of a breeding pair so YOU could become the back-yard breeder? If you care for this cat at all, you'll take care of it. Seems like you could take the breeder to small claims court but then the usual solution is your money back and you return the animal. Who will surely be put down once returned to breeder.
That is what I did say, the kitten is ill, therefore, if it cannot be treated it dies.
Sent back to this breeder, price the return price, the kitten is a gone. Therefore, maybe some rescue group will pay the bills and place the kitten it a great home. Yes they will get a fee, but why not, they will save a young kittens life, if they can. The breeder will not do anything. Best is to contact a rescue group, and give the kitten a chance. Then fight your battle with this breeder.

Last edited by maggiekate; 01-07-2009 at 07:33 PM..

Old 01-07-2009, 07:35 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,471 times
I know it is putting you through a hard time, but you can't ship the kitty back, that will stress him so much more-to the point that it may die! Can you arrange to meet the breeder in person?

Old 01-07-2009, 11:01 PM

977 posts, read 1,955,504 times
Not sure where you're from, so the ASPCA is probably your best bet since they are all over the country. North Shore is in New York but does work all over the country, and Best Friends I believe is headquartered in Utah. All are no-kill options.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:39 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
I know it is putting you through a hard time, but you can't ship the kitty back, that will stress him so much more-to the point that it may die! Can you arrange to meet the breeder in person?
Actually, it will be impossible to fly the cat back. Airlines will only accept healthy animals with a health certificate no older than 10 days.

Just went back to re-read her post...She has deleted the whole thing. Looks like she didn't like our ans. or someone hit home...like the breeding aspect!
20yearsinBranson quoted her in her post, so it is still there to read.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:06 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Sounds like this person was a real jerk!

Do you have her information? I'd try small claims court and report her to the ASPCA. If you send the kitten back, she will probably put it to sleep and sell it to someone else. This woman doesn't care about animals.

Anytime someone says something like, "I've never had anyone ask for references," you know they are full of it.

Sorry you got ripped off. What a shame. Don't beat yourself up. We all get ripped off at some point in our lives, and that's how we learn. But do try and report this woman if you can.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:32 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Internet purchases are not uncommon. It is actually the only good venue a breeder has to advertise. In saying that, one must do their homework as well. There are alot of BYBs out there.
I don't understand how a kitten could arrive sick. In order to fly, the breeder HAD to have a health certificate signed by a vet. You should have gotten a copy. You can be sure I would be on the phone to that vet.
Secondly, any decent breeder will have a health contract. But in re-reading your post, I see you did not get one. A huge RED FLAG.
Have you spoken to the breeder?
Guessing you are not going to get any satisfaction from her, I would think the kitten is now your responsibility. But you can not do nothing! If you can't spend the money she needs for the proper care, than get her to someone who can. Her life can depend on it.
I can help you understand what probably happened with the health certificate. Most of these folks on the internet are catteries (aka mass breeders like puppymills, or BYB) not to mention the brokers involved who are telling these breeders what to breed and selling these animals for the breeder for a nice cut of the price.

What has been happening in Oklahoma (and most states) is that the breeder would take a healthy animal to the vet for a health certificate prior to leaving the state or prior to being sold. Then they would pull the 'ole switch. They would take the health certificate for the healthy animal and place it with the sick animal. The breeders know only on a rare ocassion someone will return the pet. They are betting on the human emotion. If the buyers do send back the pet, then the breeders will replace the pet with another...no biggy. Do you honestly think the breeder will help the returned sick pet? After all, it's all about profit.

To address this, some have required that when a health certicate is being issued that the certificate be linked to a microchipped placed in the animal at the time of the health evaluation. That way there is a system to track the initial pet presented for the health check to avoid a switch.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:39 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
It is no big deal to forge a health certificate. Very easily done.

To the O.P.: My advice would be to keep the cat and take care of her. Hopefully this is something she can get over. It's not her fault.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:39 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
This whole thing makes me sick! The fact that the OP is even contemplating sending this kitten back, where it will surely die, is very sad...poor little thing! I hope some kind-hearted soul steps in and helps, it may be this kittys only chance at life! That breeder should be locked up...no one needs to be breeding cats, for heavens sake, when are people going to wake up and realize there are PLENTY of homeless cats already and put a stop to all this madness?! Go to any shelter, animal control facility, even vet clinic, and 9 times out od 10 there will be more cats and kittens to choose from than you could possibly imagine! The idea of purchasing a pet on the internet is ridiculous...it is a LIVING CREATURE, not a stuffed animal! You cant base a long-term commitment with another being on a PICTURE alone! I am sorry to rant, but this kind of disregard for life really pi**es me off!

Old 01-10-2009, 07:36 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
There is NO REASON to buy an animal on the internet. There are always breeders within half a days driving distance - ALWAYS GO TO AND SEE where you are buying from. If you have to have some specific breed and its farther away - go or get something else.
Unless you don't mind perpetuating the misery of the animals you say you love. Personally I wouldn't want anyone to love me like that.
Buying anything sight unseen is just bad. You are responsible for your actions. When it come to a life, even an animal life, you can't second guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats