Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 06:37 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times

Advertisements

My 15.4 yr old male cat has stopped eating 2 days ago & is skin & bones.He used to be a very healthy cat but this yr he has slowly lost weight.Hes just lying around & trys to use the cat box but cant go. I had a cat (age 13) 3 yrs ago that went through the same thing.It was kidney failure & she died.I dont want to go to the vet just to be nickle & dimed & have my cat die shortly therafter.I know my cat is old & i believe its his time to go.I wont force feed my cat.I want to do whats right for him & not me.This really hurts but i gotta do whats right & humaine.Bootys has been with me since he was 3 months old.I believe hes too far gone & hes not young.I was told when a cat has kidney failure at 12 & up its usually fatal.Keep in mind my cat is around 108 yrs old.(15.4 x 7 yrs).Hes been a good companion all these yrs & this sure hurts.Any ideas or suggestions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 06:52 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
Yes, why don't you take him to the vet and have him put down humanely instead of having his organs shut down and be in pain?

Old 10-29-2008, 06:52 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,130 times
If you want to do whats right for him, take him to the vet.
If it is his time, at least the vet can make him comfortable, that would be humaine.
And Bootys is around 76 yrs (human) old. The 7 yrs is Dog yrs, cats age differently.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:08 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,931,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Yes, why don't you take him to the vet and have him put down humanely instead of having his organs shut down and be in pain?
Wow... just couldn't be a little more on the compassionate side?

Eagle7.... Prayers for you during this time.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:09 PM

518 posts, read 2,060,526 times
He could have some dental issues, that's why he's not eating. But he is old, and may have some internal organ issues. Has he been checked for leukemia? Most vets will work with you on payments, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:16 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Wow... just couldn't be a little more on the compassionate side?

Eagle7.... Prayers for you during this time.
I was being compassionate. For the cat who can't speak, but who's been losing weight, now hasn't eaten in two days and isn't going to the bathroom. All I got from the original poster was the idea he/she didn't want to waste money at the vets. I didn't read of any feelings for the cat. I am very sad for the cat. Mine was 22 when her kidneys started to go because she had liver cancer. I had her put to sleep after watching her for a few days. She was starting to suffer and I didn't want that for her. I loved her dearly. My compassion was for HER, not myself.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:19 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
I was being compassionate. For the cat who can't speak, but who's been losing weight, now hasn't eaten in two days and isn't going to the bathroom. All I got from the original poster was the idea he/she didn't want to waste money at the vets. I didn't read of any feelings for the cat. I am very sad for the cat. Mine was 22 when her kidneys started to go because she had liver cancer. I had her put to sleep after watching her for a few days. She was starting to suffer and I didn't want that for her. I loved her dearly. My compassion was for HER, not myself.
If i didnt love my cat & have compassion i would not of posted this thread.The avg life span of a indoor cat is approx 14 yrs.Some live longer & some shorter.I went through this 3 yrs ago & spent alot of money just for my cat to die less then a week later.Im going to have bootsy put to sleep & end his pain.Its the right thing to do for him.The humain society of San Bernardino is where ill be going to.I didnt know he couldnt pee until today.He has been with me for over 15 yrs & im NOT happy about this.Everyone deals with things in their own way.Just cause i didnt spill my guts DONT mean i dont love my cat.Cmon now.....this is damn painful.Hes a part of my family just like my other cats.He is old & its his time.I have had to put down 3 of my cats thus far & it hurt each time.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:20 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,036 times
I agree with visiting the vet. It is the most humane thing to do, rather than let him suffer. The vet may be able to offer up some treatment options and diagnose your problem. It could be one of many things. If you don't trust your vet to not 'nickel and dime" you, you may want to find a vet you can trust (and remember, vets have to pay bills, too).

Quote:
I was told when a cat has kidney failure at 12 & up its usually fatal.
Not true. An older cat can have many more happy years, and kidney disease (if that is what it is) is treatable. I have a friend that kept her cat with kidney problems alive until the cat was 22 years old.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:32 PM

947 posts, read 3,408,080 times
Please take him to the vet. It is the least you could do for him. Yes, he is old but with just an office visit I bet your vet will be able to give you at least a little insight as to - to proceed or not.
It must be painful for you yes, but he is also in pain by not being able to eat or use the bathroom...

I hope that the best result is to come soon for you and him.
I do have compassion for you but what I would do would be to, If I had a Holistic/House call vet I would get them out there asap, but if not I would take to a vet that knows my kitty and me.

My heart is there for you and your baby.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:47 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,300 times
I just went through this with my 9 year old cat Peri back in September. She was always on the skinny side but in the few months of her life her back hips were skin and bones and she went three days without eating right at the end of her life and I could no longer stand to see her go though that.

It's hard but putting your cat to sleep but it is the most humane thing you can do. My prayers are with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats