Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 03:49 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times

Advertisements

:I tried once to train my cats to use the toilet. One of them flat out refused but the other two were doing fine. I had to give up because my Fat Basil decided it was a NO GO. I had thought about trying that again. Think how nice that would be. No more litter to buy, no more scooping.

They don't flush the toilet, do they? ( just asking.....)

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,952 times
Default Litterbox in Closet of Unfrequented Room

My husband and I are in the process of buying a house. There is a small spare room in the garage we will probably use. But until then. . .

We have been living in an apartment that allows cats and dogs. We have two of each. You'd think they'd arrange something convenient for the litterbox in a pet friendly unit. Our last apartment had a space specifically cut out near the bathroom sink area for one. Anyway... This apartment is a townhouse style, two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The bathrooms are too small for the litterbox. We settled on keeping it in the closet downstairs. The closet is the length of the room so half of it can be devoted to the litterbox without risking stinky contamination to the stuff on the other end. I leave that half of the closet open and put a large utility type carpet under the pan to protect the carpeted floor below. We can easily shake litter off the carpet or vacuum it as needed. We chose this room because it is farthest from the most heavily used portions of the apartment. We also use a hooded pan to help with the smell and to help prevent litter from getting into the corners of the carpet where the protective carpet can't help.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:06 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,600 times
In my current apartment there is a cut away under the counter in the bathroom. Not even sure why it is there except maybe for a trash can. Anyway, it is the perfect size for the little box and the mat I put it on so there it has stayed.

Getting ready to buy a new place and think it will really depend on the layout. There is an exterior door that leads into a back area behind the kitchen that might work in the new place I'm looking at. Looks like there used to be laundry hookups there so there is a lot of dead space that isn't being used.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:07 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,107,427 times
I'm lucky. I just moved into an apartment where the bathroom vanity goes along the whole wall but under half of it, it's open space. I don't know what the purpose of the open space was, but it's perfect for the litter box and his box the litter comes in!

Old 06-08-2008, 10:55 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
I'm lucky. I just moved into an apartment where the bathroom vanity goes along the whole wall but under half of it, it's open space. I don't know what the purpose of the open space was, but it's perfect for the litter box and his box the litter comes in!
Same here, works perfect. Specially in an apartment where placement can be an issue.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:48 AM

36 posts, read 134,953 times
i have two litter boxes now, cause i have 3 cats. so one is in my newest cat's room, She's still in isolation, and the other is in the balcony.
my third cat likes to poop in the tub

Old 06-10-2008, 01:28 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,107,427 times
I'd rather put it in a closet that I can leave partially open so the stray litter is contained, but who wants their closet to stink? LOL

I have a new bathroom rug and my cat has taken to pooing on it periodically and I can't figure out why! He KNOWS he shouldn't! Is he trying to say that he doesn't like the rug?

Old 06-10-2008, 08:23 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,404 times
Quote:
I tried once to train my cats to use the toilet.
LOL, I tried that once! I worked with the girls for about 2 months and finally gave up. The funny thing is that for 2 years afterwards I would find urine on the toilet seat and blamed my son (an only child), for being too lazy to lift the seat. He would deny any wrong doing and I would just ignore it and hand him the 409 and a paper towel.

One day we were all in the living room when we heard someone using the pot, so we all looked at one another and Hubby went to look, (Who on Earth could be in our house using the toilet?!). Lo and behold our cat Michelle was using the pot and apparently left a dribble on the seat when she was done. We all had no idea that any of the potty training had taken hold in any of the cats!! Ya'll can imagine my son's reaction. For two years he'd been taking the blame for the cat and even after multiple apologies, he's never let us forget it. Any time we even begin to blame him for something he reminds us that it could have been one of the cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats