Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 11:22 AM

299 posts, read 162,561 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Glad that this forum exists!

My cat is 13 or 14 yrs. (not entirely sure, we got her from the Dumb Friends League).

About a year ago I noticed a bump on her paw, but that was it. Last Dec. she chewed on it causing some scabbing and blood. It healed but was still there. I took her in and the first vet recommended removing it. I took her to a second vet who had the needle test done and he recommended same - removal. They are calling it a mass cell tumor (MCT). It's tiny, about the size of a pea, but on the side of her paw near a digit, and both docs said that if it grew, and it likely will, it will put her at risk of losing a digit.

She's scheduled for surgery this Thursday and I'm terrified. I'm so scared something will happen to her and I'll never see her again. Typing this out I realize this is probably unrealistic, but it's a fear nevertheless. So intellectually I think she'll be fine, but emotionally I'm a worried mess.

Thoughts? Experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 12:00 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,388,784 times
Stay as positive as you can, and don't let yourself dwell on those fears. From what you describe it will not be a very invasive procedure, and she probably won't be 'under' all that long. Odds are everything will be fine.
FWIW My old girl Misty (RB 2016) developed a lesion in the back of her mouth that required laser surgery. She was pushing 12 at the time, but came through it just fine. Had to do it again a year later when another one popped up further back in her mouth and harder to get to. Again, she came through fine.

My thoughts are with you and your girl. Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:15 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,981,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyPet View Post

My cat is 13 or 14 yrs. (not entirely sure, we got her from the Dumb Friends League).

About a year ago I noticed a bump on her paw, but that was it. Last Dec. she chewed on it causing some scabbing and blood. It healed but was still there. I took her in and the first vet recommended removing it. I took her to a second vet who had the needle test done and he recommended same - removal. They are calling it a mass cell tumor (MCT). It's tiny, about the size of a pea, but on the side of her paw near a digit, and both docs said that if it grew, and it likely will, it will put her at risk of losing a digit.

She's scheduled for surgery this Thursday and I'm terrified. I'm so scared something will happen to her and I'll never see her again. Typing this out I realize this is probably unrealistic, but it's a fear nevertheless. So intellectually I think she'll be fine, but emotionally I'm a worried mess.

Thoughts? Experience?
I think you mean mast cell tumor.

They'll be monitoring her while she's under anesthesia. If you have concerns, please feel free to talk to the vet. I was very nervous about my Russian Blue having dental surgery. They talked me through the entire procedure beforehand and answered all my questions. He came through with flying colors.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:40 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,447,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyPet View Post

Thoughts? Experience?
My polydactyl tortie cat had a mast cell tumor on one of her toes and had the toe amputated when she was 17. She was fine. It's always traumatic having one of our pets go through an experience like this, but all my good wishes are with you for your cat's operation and outcome.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:01 PM

24,606 posts, read 10,936,326 times
It is traumatic! Please talk to your vet about it. By your description this is not invasive and with a bit of extra TLC your furry will be absolutely fine. Fingers and paws crossed

Old 03-17-2020, 05:48 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling better now.

Not invasive, for sure. A bump on the side of her toe, so right now it doesn't affect her other than she chews on it (it can be itchy due to it being a MCT MAST cell tumor - thank you fluffy!)

The vet said she'd take pre-anesthesia bloodwork to make sure she'd handle it ok - and she is going to call me if anything looks off. She said that the whole procedure would take 30 min tops. She made it sound like it'd be pretty quick.

But since my cat Zoe keeps chewing on her paw, I think it probably is irritating her and this is for the best. But yep, I'm scared.

I'm going to the pet store tomorrow to get her some comfort items and broth.

BTW, she eats grain-free food. So does that mean I should get grain-free broth? A few years ago we realized it was easeir on her stomach and we had less hairball incidents.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:24 PM

6,155 posts, read 4,531,061 times
Is there grain-free broth? You can make your own from some bones and water. Just boil them, strain the broth into a container, and you can keep it in the refrigerator. If you have a large amount, boil it twice a week or freeze some. It's probably healthier than anything you can buy and I think of it often when people ask how to get their cat to drink more water. Make it chicken water!

Old 03-17-2020, 09:52 PM

Yep, I found broth and grain-free broth. I'm not sure she'll like it, but I'm thinking she might - plus I can slip her pain med into it. She doesn't have a problem drinking water, but I want this to be as easy as possible for her.

I'm kind of stuck in my home now, and no bones to speak of! So I'm planning on doing a pet store run. But that's about it. Our groceries are empty.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:52 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,768,906 times
Non-invasive surgery - a piece of cake. Try not to worry - you'll have your little fur baby in your arms this time tomorrow totally relaxed after enjoying the broth.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:45 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,931,534 times
Glad that your addressing this early, because otherwise she could lose an entire leg. Best of luck to you and her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats