Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 01:25 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times

Advertisements

Is the vet doing pre op blood tests? When one of our cats had surgery, he did blood tests first, to make sure all her vitals were good. She came though fine, the blood tests will tell you if her organs are healthy. HUGS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 05:22 PM

299 posts, read 162,278 times
Hey everyone, how are you all doing with what's going on?

You've all brought me great comfort. Seriously. I'm still terrified and really don't want her to have surgery, but I'm hoping that it's the right thing to do and that everything will come out ok. I was concerned that this would get worse, so I don't want that for her either. It's one of those things, I looked at her age and health and weighed that with possible future problems.

Today I bought her a super soft bed, she's cuddling in it now. And I found all kinds of gravy, broth, etc. that is grain-free at Petco.

Tomorrow morning is the day. I'll check back in here for sure.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Is the vet doing pre op blood tests? When one of our cats had surgery, he did blood tests first, to make sure all her vitals were good. She came though fine, the blood tests will tell you if her organs are healthy. HUGS.
Hi, forgot to reply. I called the vet and yes they absolutely always do blood work before anesthesia to make sure the animal can handle it ok. So that's a relief.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:19 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Fingers and paws are crossed for both of you!

Old 03-19-2020, 08:58 AM

Hello. I dropped off Zoe just a bit ago. I realized after I drove away I never really got to say goodbye. I went back but they had already put her in the pre-op section. I brought her favorite blanket and the person at the front desk said that she cuddled right up in the blanket - so I didn't want to upset her. I drove all the way home in tears and am still in tears. Somehow I'm supposed to work today - although I'm lucky I get to do that at home. So no one can see me working in tears.

I know it's stupid. I'm crying as if I lost her. I guess I feel like that could have been the last time I'll ever see her again. I'm just worried and scared. And it's all out of my control at this point.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:49 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyPet View Post
Hello. I dropped off Zoe just a bit ago. I realized after I drove away I never really got to say goodbye. I went back but they had already put her in the pre-op section. I brought her favorite blanket and the person at the front desk said that she cuddled right up in the blanket - so I didn't want to upset her. I drove all the way home in tears and am still in tears. Somehow I'm supposed to work today - although I'm lucky I get to do that at home. So no one can see me working in tears.

I know it's stupid. I'm crying as if I lost her. I guess I feel like that could have been the last time I'll ever see her again. I'm just worried and scared. And it's all out of my control at this point.

It's not stupid at all. I bawl when I have to leave a cat at the vet for anything.

It's our worry over how they will feel, without us there, I think. If it helps, it sounds like they took her right in, so she didn't have too much time to stress. When she's done and recovering she will be so groggy from the anesthesia she won't be afraid, just groggy. The anesthesia will also cloud her memory of the event and by the time she is home and herself again she won't remember being left.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:22 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyPet View Post

Sending you cat cuddles, & please post once she is home.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
It's not stupid at all. I bawl when I have to leave a cat at the vet for anything.

It's our worry over how they will feel, without us there, I think. If it helps, it sounds like they took her right in, so she didn't have too much time to stress. When she's done and recovering she will be so groggy from the anesthesia she won't be afraid, just groggy. The anesthesia will also cloud her memory of the event and by the time she is home and herself again she won't remember being left.
Thanks for these kind words. I'm trying to distract myself with happy thoughts. She's probably undergoing surgery right about now or any minute now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Sending you cat cuddles, & please post once she is home.
Ok, I will. Thank you!!

Old 03-19-2020, 12:46 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
I think this procedure is being harder on you than it is Zoe. All kidding aside, take a deep breath, distract yourself till it's time to bring her home. She's going to be fine.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:39 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Many times over the last year I've cried on the way to the vet, on the way home, and just on the way out of the house leaving my poor girl, old and sick, alone all day. Sometimes I'd beg her to wait for me to get home and not to go without saying goodbye. Loving a cat is rough, but I bet she'll be OK. Actually, once I was sitting and struggling to stop crying while the vet aspirated some lumps (fat) and I realized everyone would think I lost a pet and I could imagine their faces when my healthy cat came out, chipper and yelling to go home. Still took everything I had to get myself together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats