Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 03:14 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,034 times

Advertisements

Anyone here have orthoganthic surgery- jaw surgery before? And I don't mean tooth extraction or anything like that. I mean, having your jaw bones broken and then sewed back together. I had my upper jaw broken in three places, my cheek bones shaved down and my lower jaw moved up and back. I have a splint in my mouth and my mouth is also banded completely shut.

I am 4 days post surgery and feel like hell. My eyes are sore, I am hungry as hell...it takes way too much effort to get much into my mouth using the syringe as it is the only way to get liquids in. I can't brush my teeth for two weeks but can only use a syringe to squirt mouth wash onto the outsides of my teeth. So, since I can't clean my teeth well and it takes too much work to eat, I am already down almost 9lbs! GGRRR! Have been doing protein shakes, water, tomato soup- tried a pineapple-limeade-oj smoothie that was great, but damn pineapple pieces get stuck behind my splint. I am fed up with this thing already.

Splint gets removed in 10 more days- ortho will allow me to brush quickly, rinse out mouth, then it gets banded shut for another 4wks. I miss real food.. BAD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 04:41 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,651,901 times
Ouch! A friend of mine had cancer which was treated with heavy doses of radiation. So much so he lost his teeth and it caused problems within his jaw. He had some reconstruction done and went through hell for months. So I hear your pain.

I think you are doing about all you can. Keep trying to get liquids into you. I don't think you can stop the weight loss at the moment. But you may be able to slow it down. Milkshakes are yummy.

Do you have anyone to help you cook? Perhaps try putting real food in a blender with enough liquid to enable it to go through a straw. Roast some root vegetables until done, remove any skins, blend in enough low sodium chicken or vegetable stock to allow it to pass through a straw. Try that with different foods. Blend cooked chicken with broth until smooth? Mashed potatoes, butter and broth. Be creative. It sounds like if it can get through a straw, you can handle it. Just watch out for pieces. Put it through a sieve if necessary.

Try and keep a positive attitude through all of this. My friend has fought his cancer battle for 15 years. He is an inspiration to me and anyone fighting cancer.

I hope you get well soon. Take care. Beth

Old 04-29-2012, 03:58 PM

Thank you, Beth

Ya, no straw as I can't suck at all. Whatever I drink, must be able to come out the size of the hole of a syringe- which is about the size of this: O It is crazy. Almost one week down and at least 5 to go.

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I will keep him in my thoughts

Old 04-29-2012, 04:01 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,188,268 times
YES.

Mouth was wired shut for 10 weeks.

Ice cream and Ensure everyday. Ever had tacos from a blender?

Old 04-29-2012, 07:45 PM

OMG, Ron!?! TEN WEEKS!! How did you survive the not talking? I miss talking to my son so much

No, haven't had taco blended- the thought of blending up solid foods makes me gag, but as soon as I can eat a real meal, Taco Bell is where I will be heading for a chulupa and some cinnamon twists
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness