Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2018, 11:19 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times

Advertisements

I have a confession to make.

The last two photos were staged. Not what happened to the puzzle, he did that while I was gone, and my best guess is that either he jumped up on the table, or tried to jump OFF the table, and the whole thing slid under him. No, the cat posing there, that part was staged. I called him over because I wanted pics with him and his handiwork.

So those expressions, are like "Yeah? Hi. What?"

I wish I could set up a situation to get video of what I call his "flippy leap." It's one of the most delightful things he does. I was standing in the hallway the other day, waiting for my son to be ready to go run an errand with me. It's a long hall. I noticed Nimbus sit at the other end, looking at me. I continued to stand where I was, looking upstairs and waiting, and he moved closer to me. Sat down again. I looked at him again, but continued not to pay him particular attention. He came closer and closer. Finally, he was standing about a foot away from me, staring at me. Stalking? I don't know. We're talking about a 16-18 lb grey floof against a white carpet, but he does seem to believe he's very stealthy. When he's totally not. I finally made the smallest move toward him with the intent to reach down and pet him, and all of his pent up stalky energy went off at once like a pop gun. He sprang up, while at the same time flipping himself around backwards, and he landed about 6 feet away. BOING! Flippy leap.

OK...fine...I won't touch you...weirdo...

I think it's a variation on a game he likes to play though. If humans are around and paying attention to something other than him, he'll come sneaking up, get our attention, but try to run off before we can touch him, or at least before we can catch him and give him snuggles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 12:32 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

The last two photos were staged.
Not what happened to the puzzle, he did that while I was gone, and my best guess is that either he jumped up on the table, or tried to jump OFF the table, and the whole thing slid under him. No, the cat posing there, that part was staged. I called him over because I wanted pics with him and his handiwork.

I wish I could set up a situation to get video of what I call his "flippy leap." It's one of the most delightful things he does. I was standing in the hallway the other day, waiting for my son to be ready to go run an errand with me. It's a long hall. I noticed Nimbus sit at the other end, looking at me. I continued to stand where I was, looking upstairs and waiting, and he moved closer to me. Sat down again. I looked at him again, but continued not to pay him particular attention. He came closer and closer. Finally, he was standing about a foot away from me, staring at me. Stalking? I don't know. We're talking about a 16-18 lb grey floof against a white carpet, but he does seem to believe he's very stealthy. When he's totally not. I finally made the smallest move toward him with the intent to reach down and pet him, and all of his pent up stalky energy went off at once like a pop gun. He sprang up, while at the same time flipping himself around backwards, and he landed about 6 feet away. BOING! Flippy leap.

I think it's a variation on a game he likes to play though. If humans are around and paying attention to something other than him, he'll come sneaking up, get our attention, but try to run off before we can touch him, or at least before we can catch him and give him snuggles.
The fact that you have a cat who will come when called absolves you of any imagined wrongdoing.

(Actually, I kind of figured you might have done something like that. It does add a bit of context to his expression in that last photo.)

Old 01-30-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
The fact that you have a cat who will come when called absolves you of any imagined wrongdoing.

(Actually, I kind of figured you might have done something like that. It does add a bit of context to his expression in that last photo.)
Saying that he comes when I call him might be overstating the situation. He does sometimes. If he feels like it, and if he doesn't have anything better to do. There is always an equal chance he'll just sit there and stare at me when I call his name and make kissy noises to beckon him.

And then sometimes he follows me around at my heels, or just in front, wanting to just be anywhere that I am.

I just really wanted to get pictures of the wreckage of the puzzle, and the cat who had the causing of it.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:32 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,151 times
Sonic Spork wrote
Quote:
Your description of his Flippy Leap is perfect. I can see it very well in my mind's eye.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:47 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,381,258 times
Quote:

The last two photos were staged. Not what happened to the puzzle, he did that while I was gone, and my best guess is that either he jumped up on the table, or tried to jump OFF the table, and the whole thing slid under him. No, the cat posing there, that part was staged. I called him over because I wanted pics with him and his handiwork.

Staged or not, it's still priceless. But don't feel bad.... that famous photo of the Marines raising our flag after the battle on Iwo Jima (WWII) was also staged for public release. It was actually the second raising because the photographers weren't there for the first one. So it's acceptable to stage for certain momentous events, and anything our precious cats do probably qualifies.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:32 AM

This morning, as usual, Nimbus was waiting for me to get up to give him his breakfast. We went downstairs together, him periodically stopping to bounce up and head bump my hand, as he walked next to me. So happy it was time for food, my sweet boy.

I opened the can and when I put his dish down in its spot, there it was... This food was not what he was in the mood for this morning. He sniffed it, and then sat back, clearly disappointed, and looked at me, and then back at it. You know, I felt awful. Simply awful. There he was, so excited about breakfast, and so let down by my choice of cat food to give him.

I used the trick I've found that did get him to eat it, of crumbling up those rabbit meat based "mixers" pellets on top of it. But I carry this strange sense of contrition for having disappointed my cat, today. As a picky eater, myself, perhaps I have too much sympathy for him.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
This morning, as usual, Nimbus was waiting for me to get up to give him his breakfast. We went downstairs together, him periodically stopping to bounce up and head bump my hand, as he walked next to me. So happy it was time for food, my sweet boy.

I opened the can and when I put his dish down in its spot, there it was... This food was not what he was in the mood for this morning. He sniffed it, and then sat back, clearly disappointed, and looked at me, and then back at it. You know, I felt awful. Simply awful. There he was, so excited about breakfast, and so let down by my choice of cat food to give him.

I used the trick I've found that did get him to eat it, of crumbling up those rabbit meat based "mixers" pellets on top of it. But I carry this strange sense of contrition for having disappointed my cat, today. As a picky eater, myself, perhaps I have too much sympathy for him.
I'm sure I speak for most of us here when I say "we feel your pain", or in this case, guilt. Years ago, if I had been thinking ahead, I would have bought a large block of stock from the company that makes Fancy Feast. I went through a period of "trying to get it right", but soon realized that I'm not good enough at Quantum Physics to figure out what a cat is going to like at any given time, and I couldn't afford time on a SuperComputer to solve the problem either. So what I ended up doing was buying in bulk, and keeping a large quantity of most cuts and flavors on hand, all the time. When the inevitable errors in menu selection occur, I simply keep opening cans till I find the one that suits them. It seems to work, but if you're on a budget I don't recommend it.

Seriously, I actually do something close to that. I usually have a dozen cans of "used to be favorites" in the pantry. But when I can I give some of it to the neighborhood strays, and they are very grateful for it...... unlike a couple of other kitties I know.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I'm sure I speak for most of us here when I say "we feel your pain", or in this case, guilt. Years ago, if I had been thinking ahead, I would have bought a large block of stock from the company that makes Fancy Feast. I went through a period of "trying to get it right", but soon realized that I'm not good enough at Quantum Physics to figure out what a cat is going to like at any given time, and I couldn't afford time on a SuperComputer to solve the problem either. So what I ended up doing was buying in bulk, and keeping a large quantity of most cuts and flavors on hand, all the time. When the inevitable errors in menu selection occur, I simply keep opening cans till I find the one that suits them. It seems to work, but if you're on a budget I don't recommend it.

Seriously, I actually do something close to that. I usually have a dozen cans of "used to be favorites" in the pantry. But when I can I give some of it to the neighborhood strays, and they are very grateful for it...... unlike a couple of other kitties I know.
Ya know what bugs me about this when it happens?

I can crumble up the "mixers" on it, and get him to eat. Cats sure are notoriously finicky, and today they don't want what yesterday was devoured with outright gusto. But I'm always quietly afraid that he rejected the food because there was something wrong with it. That batch, that can, maybe he smells something bad, even though it's the same brand, there could be variance of some kind in different lots of production, right?

I swear, the pet food industry makes me downright nervous.

There's no knowing if the problem is with the food, or the cat just being persnickety.

I am sometimes tempted to breed mices and bunnies, to run a little farm of sorts to feed my cat. That's just...a lot of work, though. *sigh* And then I might get stressed about commercial mice and bunny food. I'd have a whole food chain co-op thing going on. Just to feed Nimbus.

Yeah, nevermind. Fancy Feast it is...

Old 03-06-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:

I can crumble up the "mixers" on it, and get him to eat. Cats sure are notoriously finicky, and today they don't want what yesterday was devoured with outright gusto. But I'm always quietly afraid that he rejected the food because there was something wrong with it. That batch, that can, maybe he smells something bad, even though it's the same brand, there could be variance of some kind in different lots of production, right?

There's no knowing if the problem is with the food, or the cat just being persnickety.

I am sometimes tempted to breed mices and bunnies, to run a little farm of sorts to feed my cat. That's just...a lot of work, though. *sigh* And then I might get stressed about commercial mice and bunny food. I'd have a whole food chain co-op thing going on. Just to feed Nimbus.

Yeah, I don't trust them either. Any commercial product can & will (sometimes) be corrupted for the sake of the bottom line. And the pet food industry is largely unregulated.

Mice.... ok.

Bunnies... No No No No . Please tell you wouldn't feed a cute little furry bunny to Nimbus. I can visualize a scenario where you would send me bunny pictures once a week, with the caption "$50.00 ransom, or I'll feed this bunny to my cat". I would probably pay-up till all my life savings were gone. Yeah, I'm that much of a sucker for little bunny rabbits.

Just kidding.

(Hope I didn't give you any ideas )

Old 03-06-2018, 04:42 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:

My cats all decided at once that they didn't like their old food anymore. One day they were fine with it, next day (and next bag), they were not. That's what got me on the road to raw.

The pet food industry blows goats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats