Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 04:51 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Hey, I have been away for CD for quite a while. Not sure just how much I'm returning to the site yet but wanted to pop in and share a cat story for my cat peeps.

My magnificent Nimbus cat, was displeased, because I was out all night. (My son was home, he got fed, his routine was just disrupted as I wasn't there for him to lay on my feet and sleep that night.) So the next day when I got home, and went to my room, I discovered a surprise...

We have a cabinet in the kitchen, which Nimbus is able to open, full of plastic grocery bags. He had removed ALL OF THEM, and carried them down the hall and deposited them in my bedroom. The entire floor was a sea of white Walmart bags. It must have taken him all night.

He has never done this before, or since.
He say: don't stay out all night, Momma! I'm learning advanced communication methods to tell you this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 08:52 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Gonna have to find another hosting site for pictures, apparently Photobucket wants money or something, to "upgrade my account" to share pics. Huh. Stupid site is so ad-infested it's barely usable anyways.

The only Nimbus story I have to share is that a day not long ago, I committed the blunder of going to sit on my balcony. Nimbus does NOT like the outside. He likes to watch it through glass, but he's scared of going out in it. I am completely FINE with that, because in addition to the normal urban hazards of cars and psychos, we've got birds of prey that are happy to take cats, as well as dogs, coyotes, monster raccoons, you name it. I did try once to put a harness on him (and yes, I gave him time inside to adjust to the harness and he seemed ok wearing it)...but when I took him outside in the yard, he first tried to become one with the lawn, and then attempted to low-crawl under a porch to hide from the everything. Outside is SCARY!

OK. Cool. I can deal with that.

Well, so, I had gone out to sit on my balcony one morning with my coffee. And Nimbus comes to the sliding door with a look of alarm on his face, he's looking at me and meowing, and pawing at the door, and finally standing up and trying to dig his way through it.

As usual, I am adding my own interpretation to this as, "NO Mom, not go outside, IS BAT COUNTRY. Outside VERY SKEERY. You come back in now! OK wait...I save you!"

Or the alternate: "You are my human! There should be no doors between us!" that he sang outside the bathroom the other night. I don't let him in the bathroom with me. Horrible, I know. He certainly has quite a bit to say about it.

Notably he does not bother anyone else (my sons) when THEY are behind a closed door. Only me. He's rather possessive of me, too. He likes to sprawl out near me, but not on me, but he will often reach out one proprietary silver paw and rest it on me, in ownership or benediction, I cannot say...

Old 09-02-2017, 04:47 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Gonna have to find another hosting site for pictures, apparently Photobucket wants money or something, to "upgrade my account" to share pics. Huh. Stupid site is so ad-infested it's barely usable anyways.

The only Nimbus story I have to share is that a day not long ago, I committed the blunder of going to sit on my balcony. Nimbus does NOT like the outside. He likes to watch it through glass, but he's scared of going out in it. I am completely FINE with that, because in addition to the normal urban hazards of cars and psychos, we've got birds of prey that are happy to take cats, as well as dogs, coyotes, monster raccoons, you name it. I did try once to put a harness on him (and yes, I gave him time inside to adjust to the harness and he seemed ok wearing it)...but when I took him outside in the yard, he first tried to become one with the lawn, and then attempted to low-crawl under a porch to hide from the everything. Outside is SCARY!

OK. Cool. I can deal with that.

Well, so, I had gone out to sit on my balcony one morning with my coffee. And Nimbus comes to the sliding door with a look of alarm on his face, he's looking at me and meowing, and pawing at the door, and finally standing up and trying to dig his way through it.

As usual, I am adding my own interpretation to this as, "NO Mom, not go outside, IS BAT COUNTRY. Outside VERY SKEERY. You come back in now! OK wait...I save you!"

Or the alternate: "You are my human! There should be no doors between us!" that he sang outside the bathroom the other night. I don't let him in the bathroom with me. Horrible, I know. He certainly has quite a bit to say about it.

Notably he does not bother anyone else (my sons) when THEY are behind a closed door. Only me. He's rather possessive of me, too. He likes to sprawl out near me, but not on me, but he will often reach out one proprietary silver paw and rest it on me, in ownership or benediction, I cannot say...
With the addition of the unspoken "Because if something happens to you, who will open the cans?", I would go with option A (the bolded).

Old 09-02-2017, 06:44 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Default It's great to see you, Sonic!

Somehow I am still able to post photos from that site, and I haven't upgraded....I just did it in this very post, but then deleted it as to not go off topic. I'm going to work on writing down exact directions for how I actually do it... and I'll let you know.

What you've written about Nimbus is so cute.... I love hearing your stories about him!

Old 09-05-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
With the addition of the unspoken "Because if something happens to you, who will open the cans?", I would go with option A (the bolded).
Well, ya know, my sons feed him at least as often as I do. They play with him, and pet him, too. The only thing that makes me particularly special is that he has access to my bedroom and sleeps with me. The boys have always kept their doors closed, and Nimbus is accustomed to that. So he follows me about and supervises my activities and reminds me to keep a proper schedule and such.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Well, ya know, my sons feed him at least as often as I do. They play with him, and pet him, too. The only thing that makes me particularly special is that he has access to my bedroom and sleeps with me. The boys have always kept their doors closed, and Nimbus is accustomed to that. So he follows me about and supervises my activities and reminds me to keep a proper schedule and such.
Oh, well that would change everything, and obviously option B would be more likely (and I stand corrected ). In the Official Housecat Handbook we humans are referred to by various descriptive names (can opener, potty cleaner, door opener, toy retriever, etc.), and as I recall there's also a reference to an 'automatic bed-warmer'. So Nimbus was probably thinking of all those cold winter nights alone if you weren't there.

(Actually, I'm sure he loves you very, very much ).

Old 09-07-2017, 02:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Yeah. Just imagine dealing with all those daily trials and tribulations, and not having a cat in your life.
Kinda scary, huh.
Mine know when I'm going to make coffee. Someone has to perch on my shoulder. So I use a smaller measuring cup to get the water, since its hard to have a cat sitting on your shoulder and pouring water into a small space. But they must supervise.

I push the coffee pot under the cuppords after its done since they LOVE sitting on the warm top but the pot doesn't do well that way. Though it was the dog who broke the caraffe trying to climb up a chair to the shelf.

What's even more fun sometimes is watching dogs who've copted cat jestures and use their paws just like cats do.

I'm currently being guarded by someone asleep on my lap and one behind my neck, both sleeping, and leaving some long black fur behind to remind me who rules.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Mine know when I'm going to make coffee. Someone has to perch on my shoulder. So I use a smaller measuring cup to get the water, since its hard to have a cat sitting on your shoulder and pouring water into a small space. But they must supervise.

I push the coffee pot under the cuppords after its done since they LOVE sitting on the warm top but the pot doesn't do well that way. Though it was the dog who broke the caraffe trying to climb up a chair to the shelf.

What's even more fun sometimes is watching dogs who've copted cat jestures and use their paws just like cats do.

I'm currently being guarded by someone asleep on my lap and one behind my neck, both sleeping, and leaving some long black fur behind to remind me who rules.
Isn't it wonderful being so well supervised?

What would we ever do without them.......

Old 09-13-2017, 12:14 PM

Well, we moved over the last five days or so, into a townhome (from an apartment.) It's about twice as big, and plenty of roam-room for the Nimbus. He was pretty spooked at first, slinking around smelling everything, and trying to become one with the carpet every time he heard a noise. But he's getting used to the place. I think.

I made the mistake (again) of shutting a door to my room behind myself to change clothes, and got to hear him catsplain from the other side about how I am his human and there should be no doors between us.

I got him a cool toy, it's one of those compressed catnip things, but it's got holes in it, and seems to be formed around a plastic ball (I assume) inside that has LEDs that flash on impact, and a chirper. And it's got a feather-floof sticking out of it. So we have light, chirping, feathers, catnip, ball. Yeah. Pretty perfect. Found it at Petsmart. Nimbus has been grabbing it by the feathers and flinging it across the room, then chasing it.

And we've let plenty of flies into the house while moving, so he's been having fun chasing and eating them.

There was a box I put a few things in, that needs to go to storage, and the top flaps are just folded shut. Nimbus keeps getting into it, but he can't get out. He only does this when we are sitting in the living room, and then he meows to be rescued. Another exercise in "training your human" I guess? I finally put the box in a closet.

And finally...last night, he did what he often does, after I got settled into bed, he hopped up and got comfortable next to my legs, and I thought he was going to go to sleep. He was there a while. Suddenly, he startled up, and bolted out of the room. Like zero to warp speed. I have no idea what he heard or why he did that. I got up to investigate, it was so sudden, like I thought he might be hearing someone coming into the house. He had run downstairs, and was sprawling out on the hall floor. No sign of anything to cause a sudden wake-and-zoom. Wrote it off to "cat being weird" and went back to bed...

Old 09-13-2017, 12:19 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
^^^ I love your Nimbus stories! What a joy and treasure he is for you....and I know the opposite is true, as well.

I don't know.....I think I need to see a new picture of Nimbus.....eh?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats