Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 03:50 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times

Advertisements

Another Nimbus story, along with my guesses as to what is going on in his mind...they are only guesses, but they're as good as any.

I have a ceiling fan in my dining room, and temperatures being hot lately, I've had every fan going all the time. Nimbus has been getting up either on the table, or on top of my son's computer tower (which is on another table by the wall) basically as close to the fan as he can get, so maybe 3-4 feet below it at best. Then he looks up into the fan, the breeze stirring his mane, and loudly sings at it.

My guess? I think that projecting his voice into the moving fan causes a distorted echo effect that he can hear, but I can't, and he is amusing himself thusly.

Also I will share an older story, because I don't remember if this happened before, or after, I left C-D previously, or whether I already told you fine cat forum folk...

After moving into my apartment I decided to indulge in one of my old favorite pastimes which I hadn't done in many moons. A jigsaw puzzle. It was the first time I'd tried to do so, since we got Nimbus. And wow does he raise the difficulty level of this activity. First he tried to lay on it. I removed him. Then when he realized I would not let him lay on it, he would sit in the chair next to the table, eyes and ears peeking up over the edge. He would watch me, engrossed in my activity, and examine the surface of the table. Eventually, he would quickly reach up over the edge with one fluffy silver paw, grab a single puzzle piece, and pull it off quickly so as to throw it on the floor. If I got up to retrieve the piece, he'd hop down and leave. If I ignored him, he would do it again.

If I left the room or the apartment, the puzzle would be completely safe. He only cared about it insofar as it was the inscrutable object of my intense attention. Otherwise he left it alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 05:09 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Another Nimbus story, along with my guesses as to what is going on in his mind...they are only guesses, but they're as good as any.

I have a ceiling fan in my dining room, and temperatures being hot lately, I've had every fan going all the time. Nimbus has been getting up either on the table, or on top of my son's computer tower (which is on another table by the wall) basically as close to the fan as he can get, so maybe 3-4 feet below it at best. Then he looks up into the fan, the breeze stirring his mane, and loudly sings at it.

My guess? I think that projecting his voice into the moving fan causes a distorted echo effect that he can hear, but I can't, and he is amusing himself thusly.

Also I will share an older story, because I don't remember if this happened before, or after, I left C-D previously, or whether I already told you fine cat forum folk...

After moving into my apartment I decided to indulge in one of my old favorite pastimes which I hadn't done in many moons. A jigsaw puzzle. It was the first time I'd tried to do so, since we got Nimbus. And wow does he raise the difficulty level of this activity. First he tried to lay on it. I removed him. Then when he realized I would not let him lay on it, he would sit in the chair next to the table, eyes and ears peeking up over the edge. He would watch me, engrossed in my activity, and examine the surface of the table. Eventually, he would quickly reach up over the edge with one fluffy silver paw, grab a single puzzle piece, and pull it off quickly so as to throw it on the floor. If I got up to retrieve the piece, he'd hop down and leave. If I ignored him, he would do it again.

If I left the room or the apartment, the puzzle would be completely safe. He only cared about it insofar as it was the inscrutable object of my intense attention. Otherwise he left it alone.
Ok, I can see 2 possible scenarios for singing at the ceiling fan;

A. He likes the cool breeze, and is singing his praises.

or...

B. He doesn't like the breeze and is yelling at it to stop (as opposed to going somewhere else away from it ).

My money's on B.

There's also the possibility that the fan reminds him of the mother-ship that brought his ancestors here, and he's trying to communicate with it.

My wife and I found that jigsaw puzzles had the same cat-annoying properties as the newspaper, magazine, crossword, tax return, etc., etc. Felines are all afflicted with the famous Attention-Hog Syndrome, and things like puzzles are the arch enemy. We ended with several puzzles where the 'missing piece' turned up weeks later full of teeth marks and chewed edges.

Last edited by catdad7x; 07-10-2017 at 06:12 PM..

Old 07-11-2017, 01:42 PM

I would think he'd like the fan. I mean, the temps in the apartment have been reading in the 80's during the afternoon. It gets hot in there. The fans are the only thing that make it bearable. And Nimbus is fluffy, though he shed a lot of the undercoat, so mostly it's the long silky outer layer now, maybe not as hot. He gets on the table under the fan and sprawls out on it, and on other cool surfaces sometimes.

That particular loud meow, with variety of pitch in his singing... When we lived in the house, we had high ledges, he used to like going up there and projecting his songs from up high. I have this sense that he is well aware of acoustics...

Old 07-11-2017, 01:56 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
My cat meows at the moving ceiling fan with the same chirping sound she uses to attract birds while sitting in the window on her perch. She's not allowed outside because we live in the city, but the birds will occasionally perch outside of the window.

So, I'm guessing my cat thinks the fan is some sort of giant bird. For what it's worth . . .

Old 07-11-2017, 02:44 PM

I just had a thought...dunno about your fan, but mine has two chains hanging down with pulls to turn the light and fan on and off. They wiggle just a bit when the fan is running. You think maybe he would like to grab those and play with 'em but he can't get them, so he's complaining about it?

Would make sense with the "prey chirping" noise your cat does too maybe...?

Old 07-11-2017, 05:15 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
... That particular loud meow, with variety of pitch in his singing... When we lived in the house, we had high ledges, he used to like going up there and projecting his songs from up high. I have this sense that he is well aware of acoustics...
LOL!

Quote:
I just had a thought...dunno about your fan, but mine has two chains hanging down with pulls to turn the light and fan on and off. They wiggle just a bit when the fan is running. You think maybe he would like to grab those and play with 'em but he can't get them, so he's complaining about it?

Would make sense with the "prey chirping" noise your cat does too maybe...?
I am laughing at the idea that you think you can figure out your kitty. Silly mom!

Old 07-11-2017, 10:25 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am laughing at the idea that you think you can figure out your kitty.
As if, right?

Old 07-12-2017, 08:53 AM

Oh no, but that doesn't stop me from wondering what is going on in his head.

Anyone ever seen the British sci-fi comedy show, Red Dwarf? There was a character who evolved over 3 million years from cats, he was played by a man but he was essentially a cat who evolved to a humanoid state. Fantastic character.

When I sit at the table eating my food, and I give my Nimbus a bite of chicken or something, and he won't take it with his mouth, he wants me to place it on the table and he'll pick it up with one paw and convey it to his mouth, which is what I call "eating like a people"... I look at him and I'm like, "It's happening. This is where it starts." lol

Old 07-12-2017, 12:40 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Oh no, but that doesn't stop me from wondering what is going on in his head.

Anyone ever seen the British sci-fi comedy show, Red Dwarf? There was a character who evolved over 3 million years from cats, he was played by a man but he was essentially a cat who evolved to a humanoid state. Fantastic character.

When I sit at the table eating my food, and I give my Nimbus a bite of chicken or something, and he won't take it with his mouth, he wants me to place it on the table and he'll pick it up with one paw and convey it to his mouth, which is what I call "eating like a people"... I look at him and I'm like, "It's happening. This is where it starts." lol
Have you considered that perhaps Nimbus is just in love with the sound of his own voice, and likes to hear himself sing.

And thanks for planting that thought (bolded) in my head ...... I think.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Have you considered that perhaps Nimbus is just in love with the sound of his own voice, and likes to hear himself sing.

And thanks for planting that thought (bolded) in my head ...... I think.
Seriously, I love cats, really do, but the thought of them in humanoid form is kind of terrifying. They already have many of us in servitude as it is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats