Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 02:18 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,290,237 times

Advertisements

We bought a beautiful old Victorian that we restored. After a year, we finally moved in. Shortly after moving in with 2 kitties, enter Josette who was about 10 weeks at the time. She has been with us a year this month. I have noticed that the spindles on our old bannister are all scratched up. They are antique and can't really be replaced (well, maybe if we wanted to pay a fortune). So, did we decided to get rid of little Josette? Nope, I bought a scratching pad and placed it close to the bannister. They were so cheap (under $15) I may buy more. I also trim her claws frequently.

The story of Tiger Tim just breaks my heart. How can anyone be so heartless.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 02:32 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,388,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
We bought a beautiful old Victorian that we restored. After a year, we finally moved in. Shortly after moving in with 2 kitties, enter Josette who was about 10 weeks at the time. She has been with us a year this month. I have noticed that the spindles on our old bannister are all scratched up. They are antique and can't really be replaced (well, maybe if we wanted to pay a fortune). So, did we decided to get rid of little Josette? Nope, I bought a scratching pad and placed it close to the bannister. They were so cheap (under $15) I may buy more. I also trim her claws frequently.

Cat
There are always alternative solutions. But if the humans don't consider the pet a family member, they won't even bother to look for one. Getting rid of the animal is the easiest way to fix a 'problem'.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:00 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,383,788 times
A few years ago I purchased a new sofa bed to replace the old, run-down one that had been in my living room. Really nice sofa, more expensive than I would usually spend on a piece of furniture. It fit perfectly in the room, was comfortable as well as functional, and I loved the look of it.

A few months later: Enter Izzy, my border collie pup.

One day when I left the house for half an hour - I was in the midst of testing Iz to see if he was ready to stay in the house alone and outside of his crate - Izzy decided that the sofa was actually good for more than just sitting on...apparently it turned out to be rather tasty as well. I came home to find a sofa that had been slightly redesigned, thanks to my border collie with a flair for redecorating. The sofa was now missing the covering and half of the stuffing on one arm. Bare wood protruded from the gaping, splintered wound, wads of fluffy innards spilled onto the floor...and on the other side of the room sat The Izzter, a shameless expression of "I think it looks better this way, don't you?" plastered on his guilty black-and-white face.

My first thought upon seeing all of this was, "omigod, did he eat any of the material? Will his guts be impacted?" My second thought was, "You rotten little stinker!". And my third thought was, "Guess he's still not quite ready to be crate-free, just yet".

Nowhere in there was, "The dog has to go". Unlike the sofa (or the baseboard, the expensive down comforter, and the entrance door to the house, which also subsequently suffered the wrath of puppyhood) the love of a pet - to anyone who truly loves and appreciates the life of an animal - is priceless, and is never regarded as an object to replaced at the nearest suspected inconvenience.

For those who are willing to replace a family pet for any such reasons, I do hope they instead invest in something more suited to their lifestyle...like a porcelain sculpted cat or an iron dog doorstop...and leave the sentient beings to those who truly will love them.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:50 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,558,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

Unfortunately, no kudzu, by the way you posted this link, with no explanation of whether this is/was your kitty or not, you seem to have created a thread with responses blaming you for the unfortunate fate of this poor cat. I, for one, jumped to the same conclusion and posted a nasty comment aimed at what I perceived as you having a hard heart and that you are buying a new sofa and dumping the cat.
Your original post garnered several more posts aimed at your heartlessness, undeserved so we have found out.

Please accept my own apologies for getting 'set off' against what seemed to be your own doing. You should have told everyone that the Facebook comments below the photo were directed at someone else. Next time, please explain in more detail where you personally stand on such a hotbed issue. I can't even watch the SPCA or Humane Society ads on TV ! and I wish they would be banned. We all know about the cruelty and beyond cruelty that exists, it is heartbreaking. I contribute as much as possible to local shelters and compassionate pet care facilities in my own area. The money goes directly to the animals and not advertising agencies.

Please folks, donate to your local shelters with money or food for the animals. They are helpless.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:20 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,133,584 times
What are you going to do when you have kids ?? Get rid of the kids ??

Old 06-11-2015, 08:27 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,558,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
What are you going to do when you have kids ?? Get rid of the kids ??

OK now, can we end all of these attacks on the OP ! I'm going to contact the moderator to have this thread closed.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:28 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,133,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post

Cat
My cat Sootie did likewise except the legs to my kitchen table. I really dont care about my furniture but I did notice that of all the scratching type objects the one he likes the best is a very course rope around a pole just in case your. The reason I try to find out what they like best (I have 4 fur babies) is that I could tell after Sootie used the kitchen table legs he didnt look all that satisfied - he is a very expressive cat. Just an FYI since Josette and Sootie have a preference for wooden legs/spindles.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:35 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,837,167 times
Updates at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magni...926?fref=photo indicate Tiger Tim may have cancer. One problem with cats is how well they can conceal major illness until they are just about dead!

Old 06-11-2015, 04:31 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,224,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Unfortunately, no kudzu, by the way you posted this link, with no explanation of whether this is/was your kitty or not, you seem to have created a thread with responses blaming you for the unfortunate fate of this poor cat. I, for one, jumped to the same conclusion and posted a nasty comment aimed at what I perceived as you having a hard heart and that you are buying a new sofa and dumping the cat.
Your original post garnered several more posts aimed at your heartlessness, undeserved so we have found out.

Please accept my own apologies for getting 'set off' against what seemed to be your own doing. You should have told everyone that the Facebook comments below the photo were directed at someone else. Next time, please explain in more detail where you personally stand on such a hotbed issue. I can't even watch the SPCA or Humane Society ads on TV ! and I wish they would be banned. We all know about the cruelty and beyond cruelty that exists, it is heartbreaking. I contribute as much as possible to local shelters and compassionate pet care facilities in my own area. The money goes directly to the animals and not advertising agencies.

Please folks, donate to your local shelters with money or food for the animals. They are helpless.
Actually the only one who appears to have misunderstood was you. The rest of the replies appear to be directed at the person referenced in the Facebook post. I think you may have a lack of familiarity with this subforum because the OP often posts interesting cat stories, good ones, funny ones but also ones highlighting the lack of regard people have for their pets. I don't think this thread should close, these sorts of stories need to be told and need to be discussed. Already there have been helpful replies about alternatives the pet owner could consider. People could really benefit from some of this information.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:40 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,123,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

I accept your apology. The link was to The Magnificant Cat Rescue and Rehoming FB page and I thought it was apparent it was a story from the rescue about a poor, unfortunate cat who was turned in because the owner was getting a new sofa. In my mind, my comment "no words" was message enough about how I felt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats