Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 12:24 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,719 times

Advertisements

It's a complex issue with lots of ramifications, especially if allocated funds are not actually applied to the care of your pets as instructed.

I had saved this PDF about making arrangements for care of my cats and I still don't know exactly what I should do for peace of mind:

http://www.morrowlaw.com/docs/Estate...20Pets%202.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 01:47 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,702 times
Start by carrying a card like the one listed on Pet ID Card

The second step is to put all of your affairs in order. I've used a product called Life.Doc from Buttoned Up. It doesn't have everything you need, but it does get you thinking and helps you gather everything into one place.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:06 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,676,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
It's a complex issue with lots of ramifications, especially if allocated funds are not actually applied to the care of your pets as instructed.

I had saved this PDF about making arrangements for care of my cats and I still don't know exactly what I should do for peace of mind:

http://www.morrowlaw.com/docs/Estate...20Pets%202.pdf
One thing is to completely seperate the Long term care of the pets from the shrot term needs. many of the problems that develop is due to not having the short-term or interim provisins in place.

lets say you are in a horrible accident and in the hospital for a few days and don;t survive. What is happening between the time you left the house and someone follows your instructions? Who is tasked with knowing that something is wrong and can legally act for the benefit of the pets?

In my case, one of the neighbors have the legal permission to enter the property and take custody of the animals. They have access to funds int he trust to provide food, shelter and vet care if needed. They coordinate with the ultimate person taking custody of the animals. This is important especially if the person is family who may be in grief and dealing with so many other issues initially.

For long term, you just need to find a family, friend or organzation you will place your trust in. That's so much a personal thing that it really can;t be decided except when you know they are right, they are right. But too many times people asume that family and firends will step in when they are not really capable. If you ask family if they will take a pet, odds are they will say yes. But you have to personally know and have confidence that it will be the long term arrangment you think it is.

Short term car is much easier because I found that once you start develioping this, many others will be in the same boat and need something themselves and they are more readily willing to assist because its to their pets benefit as well. Just like you need some plan, they are looking for a plan also. Several people involved makes it more reassuringt hat someone will follow the plan when needed.

Even my vet is involved and can bill the trust for medical care knowing the bills will be paid so its not in the hands of someone deciding if they can afford the care, the care is already accounted for and the level is spelled out int he trust.

The sucess isn;t that I have a master plan, the sucess is that it was developed taking the individual issues into consideration and addressing and organizing them in a way that there is no gap, no misunderstanding, no assumming, and no financial ommissions.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:10 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
this is something i think and worry about quite often.... their immediate needs would be taken care of by my house mate.... but long term?? sheesh, i just don't know.... roxie would be fine going into my friend's rescue and would likely be adopted fairly quickly....

bailey and dave, however, .... neither would do well in a foster care setting with several other dogs in the household.... dave in particular.... my ONLY family is one brother in Houston and I sure wouldn't trust him with their care..... and his son is only 20 years old and still living with his mother..... i just don't know and haven't been able to figure anything or anyone out.....

charlie-chubby-cat could go back to the no-kill shelter i adopted her from if i can't think of anyone or anything better.... most of the kitties there are free-roaming through the office and reception areas and are not caged.......

Old 11-04-2011, 02:13 PM

782 posts, read 1,108,855 times
Back in the seventies in Texas there was a woman that,in her will, stipulated that she be buried sitting in her Ferrarri with the seat reclined "in a comfortable position"..in a neglege with a martini in her hand and her dog, a toy poodle I believe, was to be euthanized and buried with her laying in the passenger seat. The Wikki article doesn't say anything about the dog or the martini BUT I was living in San Antonio during the brew-haha. It was the news story for weeks..
Back to the topic at hand...if Sandra West can do it so can I..I am taking my animals with me. I don't trust anyone to care for my babies as I have so they will be euthanized and cremated with me. This is in my will, has been discussed with my family, and all have agreed. To be honest they are glad...they are willing to do this for me because they don't want to be responsible for them in any way shape or form after I am gone.

Sandra West - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-04-2011, 02:51 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,571,870 times
We've thought about it but as of yet have no definite game plan established. Check out the North Shore Animal League website and key in "safe haven" in their search area. I haven't read through the entire site yet but I'm going to. Beware of friends and relatives who tell you "Oh, I love your pets and you know I'll take care of them" - too many times they are just making nice. This is something important that you need to have complete peace of mind about.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:40 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
I don't trust anyone to care for my babies as I have so they will be euthanized and cremated with me. This is in my will, has been discussed with my family, and all have agreed. To be honest they are glad...they are willing to do this for me because they don't want to be responsible for them in any way shape or form after I am gone.
I have given this much thought and for some reason my husband and myself can't see our cats dying just because something happens to us. Is it really fair to them we ask ourselves. Is it moral? Is it what the cats would want if they could speak? And yet we can't find anyone or any org here that will take them even if paid. I really want them to stay in this house until the last one dies. They're happy here and have everything a cat could want. When the last one dies the kids can sell the property or do what they want with it. For some reason I dread bringing it up with our combined three grown children.

Last edited by =^..^=; 11-05-2011 at 06:49 AM..

Old 11-05-2011, 06:45 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Jasper would probably go to a shelter, and get adopted. Or one of my kids would take him.

As for my crazy cat hoarding Mother...there is no way I would want all her cats. They would all go to a shelter.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:46 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
We've thought about it but as of yet have no definite game plan established. Check out the North Shore Animal League website and key in "safe haven" in their search area. I haven't read through the entire site yet but I'm going to. Beware of friends and relatives who tell you "Oh, I love your pets and you know I'll take care of them" - too many times they are just making nice. This is something important that you need to have complete peace of mind about.
I've looked in to NSAL but couldn't find any pictures as to how or where the cats would live. What conditions would they live under? Could it possibly be another Tiger Ranch or Kitkaboodle (sp?) setup? I'm not sure about our family either.

All we have left are three grown kids and three grown grandkids. None are really in a situation to take in a few cats and one lives in the UK. Another is moving across the country. Another lives in a small apartment in NYC with their own two cats..... and so it goes.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:07 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
My Mom's neighbor left all her money, and a house to a woman who promised to take care of her dog when she died of cancer. Within a week of her death, the house was sold, I don't know what happened to the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats