Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 02:56 AM

10 posts, read 26,298 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Yesterday, I found out that a close friend of mine who lives in Lake Worth passed away. She had 6 cats that I love like my own and her wishes were for me to care for them. The problem is, I am in Tennessee now and the cats are at animal control in WPB and I have no way to get them. I am pretty certain they will be euthanized if I don't. I am just so heartbroken over this. I know there are a lot of animal lovers on here and was hoping some of you would have suggestions....anything. Thank you so much for reading this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 07:15 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,065,369 times
chinese restaurants will pay top dollar for those cats ! Just kidding....take them to the humane society is all I can say.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:48 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,240,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvGreeneville View Post
Hi everyone. Yesterday, I found out that a close friend of mine who lives in Lake Worth passed away. She had 6 cats that I love like my own and her wishes were for me to care for them. The problem is, I am in Tennessee now and the cats are at animal control in WPB and I have no way to get them. I am pretty certain they will be euthanized if I don't. I am just so heartbroken over this. I know there are a lot of animal lovers on here and was hoping some of you would have suggestions....anything. Thank you so much for reading this.
Post this on the pet thread, too. I found help from Maine to south Florida for a pet-related issue.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:11 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,773,330 times
Are you asking for a way to get the cats to you? Or a way to get them adopted? Have you talked to the animal control to ask what steps they will take w/the cats? I'm sorry you are in this predicament. Try posting on the city data cat forum: Pets Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

Old 04-28-2008, 09:09 AM

Hi and thank you for your help. Sorry if my previous post was lacking info, I'm a bit scatter brained right now. I was looking for a way to get them from Florida to me. Now, my husband said he would pick them up but I already have 9 cats that I rescued of my own and having 6 more may be too much to handle. I would take 2 of them and try to find homes for the 4 left. I called some no kill shelters but haven't heard back. They are now at animal care and control and I am waiting for them to open so I can find out what is going on. I'm so afraid they will be put to sleep, they were on their own for 3 weeks without anyone knowing. This is so horrible. I will post on the pets forum as well, thank you for bringing that to my attention. Thanks again everyone.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:37 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,240,908 times
If your husband will pick them up and you can keep two, then you'll need to find four homes from south Florida to TN. I'm sorry that I can't help out- we have an aging neighbor about to go into assisted living and she has five cats.... we're already talking about what is going to happen to her pets once she moves out.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:46 PM

I guess keeping all of them is the only option for now. It would break my heart to have to separate them after all they have been through. I just will have to find away to introduce them to my other cats and dogs, they have never been around dogs before so that will be a challenge. I guess I will be having a looooot more housework to do, but it will be worth it! Thanks again everyone!

Old 04-28-2008, 04:29 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,406,094 times
I really think you should try to call a local rescue and see if they can help. One group here will let people bring in the cats they need rehomed to adoption fairs if they are willing to keep them until they are adopted. You have to officially surrender the cats to the rescue, but of course if you decided to keep them they won't stand in your way. I think they require a surrender because of legal issues.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:58 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,588,506 times
Yes, call a rescue where they are (Go to Petfinder.com and type in that area code to get a list of them and their numbers) and BEG them to get them out of the shelter ASAP for you, before they are PTS. In the meantime comminuicate with the shelter and BEG them to hold on to them until you can make arrangements to get them out of there. (Offer even to pay for their boarding and food to show you are serious).

The first thing is to get them OUT of that shelter, these poor babies are already tramatized enough loosing their human and I have seen what being put in a shelter does to them first hand.. Those babies are horrified!

The second order of business it to get them to you ASAP. If your husband is willing to do that, pack his bag and send him on his way. Do you have kennels for them for the trip? I am fairly certian there will be fees to pay before you can get them back from a shelter or a rescue group so be prepared.

Once in your hands, you can breathe easier and decide what to do from there. I would give them time to adjust to what has happend, the sudden change in their lives and loss of their human. Understand what they have been through and how it has effected them, it will require a lot of understanding and patience on your part. They will be angry and scared. They grieve just like we do when they loose a companion, human or animal.

Where are they in Florida? What county and shelter and where exactly are you.. You can pm me that information. I want to post this on another forum where there might be someone that could help so I need more information. You should also post this on the Petfinder forum. Can't hurt!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:08 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,564,037 times
Keep us posted on what you research and find out. This is a good example for any of us who might find ourselves in your situation. We are all rooting for you! Thanks so much for not seperating them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats