Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:54 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthndul View Post

Kkgg7
tough decision since we're all want them all right ?
I wanted it all too, but considering Vancouver is weather is not really great enough (I mean, San Diego like great) to compensate for its financial disadvantages, I didn't choose it eventually.

I found a great job less than 3 months after landing in Toronto and bought a property 1.5 years after, so I am happy about my choice. But maybe I could have the same luck in vancouver as well without having the suffering the horrible long winter, you never know!

On those -20C crappy days, particularly when the ground is covered with all the slush, I am still jealous of Vancouver!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 12:58 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,456 times
Quote:
and surprising too that the unemployment rate is better in VC
It is said that British Columbia including Vancouver are swarmed with
- wealthy retirees from other Canadian provinces and
- rich foreigners living in Million$ homes but deliver pizzas as a hobby.
Don't quote me though. I've no references to back up the above statement.

Quote:
since i booked my flight to Vancouver,
though the flight to Toronto stopping in Vancouver is cheaper than 'direct' flight to Toronto
my problem is now on the luggage limit
cross continent flight allows me to bring 2x50lbs = 46kg /person
while domestic flight allows 20kg only
any idea to ship them cheaply ?
Go VIA Rail
Fares, discounts, rail passes and special offers | VIA Rail

http://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/modules/flashmap/img/map_medium_en.gif (broken link)

Quote:
Policies for transporting your baggage with VIA Rail | VIA Rail

Due to space limitations, VIA Rail requests that travellers
limit themselves to two pieces of carry-on baggage per
person, one piece on Renaissance trains (where one extra
piece can be checked free).

Each piece must not be larger than 66 cm x 46 cm x 23 cm (26 in. x 18 in. x 9 in.) or heavier than 23 kg (50 lb.) Baggage sizers are available at all stations with personnel.

http://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/file...e_bagage-E.pdf
YWCA Hotel Ddowntown
YWCA Hotel, Downtown Vancouver :: Rooms & Rates

There are also lodging in private homes for as low as $35 a day.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:31 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,456 times
With so many missing parameters, I can't really offer any pertinent information vis-a-vis employment -city.

Cases I know personally:

A new immigrant landed in Vancouver and realized quickly that he needed to move to Vancouver Island where job competition among the new arrivals are not so intense. Within one month, he found employment as a GM for a mid-size hotel with a large clientele base of Chinese tourists. Canada and China signed the ADS agreement last month.

An IT guy who runs his business operation from home, promptly bought a M$ house in White Rock, South Surrey. He could have bought in Maple Ridge, Squamish, or Langley for example.

Then again there are those who want a white-collar post, e.g. accounting clerk, etc. Others are quite happy cleaning salmon and packing herring roes for the export market, and getting paid like $15-$20 an hour; and since it is a seasonal job, they can claim UI when they are not working.

My coffee break is over.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:20 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,485 times
Quote:
movingwiththewind
since i'm coming from tropical country, I think I had enough summer
I think, you misunderstood. If you mean, you don't want a hot humid summer anymore because you are coming from a tropical country, you will be better off in Vancouver than in Toronto. Vancouver summer temps are 18-25 celcius with low humidity versus Toronto's 25-35 and very humid with frequent heat waves. In other words, Toronto has a more "tropical" summer weather than Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada