Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,810,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
bek its hard to keep muggers out of a tent.

Bears too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 07:11 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,226,600 times
I worked in yellowstone national park for a while, and learned about backcountry living out there (camped at least 3 weekends a month while I was there). Now that I live in civilization again, my friends get mad at me about camping. I really don't consider it camping if you are in a campground at all...and driving to pitch a tent? That is as bad as an RV in my mind!

I use a hammock, string a tarp out over it, and sleep great. There is a dry spot under the hammock where you can sit/cook, and the hammock is almost more comfortable than my bed back home. I have a hard time camping anywhere I don't have to find a stream to get water, but then again, old habits die hard. There is something very satisfying about hiking into the woods and knowing you are sleeping 20 miles from the nearest road.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:05 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,240,005 times
How do you keep black bear and mountain lions out of a tent? Isn't a camper/rv much safer to sleep in?

Old 07-31-2009, 08:08 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,375,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
How do you keep black bear and mountain lions out of a tent? Isn't a camper/rv much safer to sleep in?
People think so but i've seen a bear tear a door off a car so really it's all in a persons mind, I've slept in tents with bears walking around the camp site, no big deal. Bears that hang around camp grounds are looking for ice chests and food left out, I would rather be in a tent with no food smell than a RV filled with food.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:04 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,226,600 times
Quote:
If a bear wants to attack you, it will attack you. An RV door won't do much to stop a 600 lb bear.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:16 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,272,165 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
People think so but i've seen a bear tear a door off a car so really it's all in a persons mind, I've slept in tents with bears walking around the camp site, no big deal. Bears that hang around camp grounds are looking for ice chests and food left out, I would rather be in a tent with no food smell than a RV filled with food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If a bear wants to attack you, it will attack you. An RV door won't do much to stop a 600 lb bear.
The national parks certainly think a hard-sided camper is safer in bear country, as there are campgrounds that will only allow hard-sided campers.

I'm wondering if the bear you saw, Roaddog, was a black bear or a grizzly/brown bear. Not many blacks will grow to 600 pounds, and there aren't too many places in the U.S. where grizzlies or browns are a problem.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:56 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,810,499 times
I think people who camp where bears are our usually pretty careful not to have their tent smelling like food but when it comes right down to it, if a bear is hungry enough, we smell like food to them.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:33 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,240,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
The national parks certainly think a hard-sided camper is safer in bear country, as there are campgrounds that will only allow hard-sided campers.

I'm wondering if the bear you saw, Roaddog, was a black bear or a grizzly/brown bear. Not many blacks will grow to 600 pounds, and there aren't too many places in the U.S. where grizzlies or browns are a problem.
We camp in the Cibola NF, and, the rangers post signs for people to be bear aware.

We've always kept our refrigerables inside of a small fridge which is run off of our van battery with a power inverter. We use tupperware to keep other perishable items stored, and we use those heavy duty freezer bags for food storage too.

We either burn the rubbish parts, and leave no food scraps anywhere. Disposing of cans while camped is always a problem. Other than putting our trash in a rubbish sack and tying it tightly, does anyone have any suggestions of how to handle trash? I know animals have a keener sense of smell than people do. Sometimes when we have fire restrictions, we can't burn our stuff. When we leave, we always pack our garbage out.

I won't say I am afraid of bears, I do respect them. We know to make noise and wave arms, etc.., to ward off a bear. I would say my greatest fears are of mountain lions, and we have some in New Mexico.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:29 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,375,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

I don't really know what kind of bears are around here, sure not grizzlies, black bear brown bear I don't know but they know what an ice chest is for sure, if they see it in your car their going to get it, no door will stop them, I saw one peel a door off a motorhome where the guy had some sweets stored, from time to time they come in and trap a few that are causing problems and about 10 years ago they had to kill a couple of young bears who were coming into camp and grabbing peoples dogs for dinner, the ranger said their mother had probably been killed during bear season, bears are the theme of a place we camp named Balch park, they even had one named Browny, it would come out in the evening and take your fish right out of the pond stringer and all
We have camped in tents there many times, my wife doesn't care for it but I've heard bears walking around the tent checking things out many times.
The only time one scared me was when I was alone at night sitting by the fire, I kept hearing things behind me but couldn't see anything, a car came up the hill and his lights lit up the camp just as I heard a noise, I turned around and there was a bear looking me right in the eyes, I jumped up and ran and so did he or she, some other campers seen it and were freaked out.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:15 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,586,709 times
I started out tent camping and always loved it. However it is true that it is much more of a challenge especially in areas with unpredictable weather (ie the Northeast). Spending an entire weekend in pouring rain in a tent is almost the very definition of misery. This isn't so bad when you have a lot of free time and can just try, try again the next weekend for better weather; but a lot of us have very rigid job schedules and our vacation time can only be arranged far in advance.

I now camp with a small popup trailer, which is not as expensive and ostentatious as an RV but also a lot drier than a tent.

I do think it's ridiculous not to allow tents in RV parks, though. Apparently they are trying to keep out "the riff raff" that way? Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing